ADVERTISEMENT

MLB release season begins

Sep 2, 2014
Every year a high school guy signs for big money instead of going to college and a few years later he is released. Granted some guys just do not pan out and others due. RHP Kyle Castro, was released this week:

A 6-foot-5 prep righthander from Elk Grove, Calif., Kyle Castro signed with the Rangers as a third-round pick in 2011, but injuries and ineffectiveness derailed his career and led to his release this week. He spent the entire 2012 and 2014 seasons on the disabled list, and he didn't pitch all that effectively when healthy, logging a 7.53 ERA and 1.93 WHIP in 43 career innings, all in short-season ball.

I don't know...maybe its just me? Having seen the grind and the journey up close with our own son, I certainly think your main point about signing out of HS vs. not is valid and worth discussion. But is it necessary to highlight a specific kid?

Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Often...very often...its just crappy luck with injuries. We ALL wish we could predict the future perfectly so we make the very best decisions. But I just feel its a bit awkward or out-of-place to highlight any specific kid on a message board when his dream was just crushed.

JMO, nothing more.

Let me elaborate and also work off ATC's reply. First of all, it's unnecessary to bring up names in a matter like this. The young man was a third round pick- that means they thought highly of him. You seem to be of the opinion that every high school player should go to college. I would tell you that you can't go wrong with college but it's not for everyone.

We don't know if school is a challenge for a young man. Lots of baseball people think that pitchers that have upside are better off in pro ball where they get great instruction, they are allowed to develop, and not going to be abused by some college programs who use pitchers to win and don't worry about the health of a pitcher.

I would tell you that most college coaches are more cognizant of pitch count these days but there is still pressure to win. Pro baseball is a dream for many kids and why not take a chance and live your dream. The important thing is to negotiate school money in the bonus and take advantage of that opportunity after they are done playing or on-line while they are.

Will Rob, my point was that going to college is a better option than signing out of high school for most kids. I think kids should try to enjoy playing the game at the college level before going pro and sitting in the minors where less than 1 percent make it. And since he is a pro his name is on Baseball America and it is news and good information for high school players and parents.
This post was edited on 4/2 2:11 PM by Sactownbaseball

I can't address you by name so I'm at a little disadvantage. As I said in my opening paragraph, you can never go wrong going the college route. That said, there are a lot of variables. What if a young man is not a very good student? What if a young man comes from an impoverished background?

In this case, the young man's career was shortened due to injuries that caused a lack of production. He was drafted in the 3rd round And got a $267,000 bonus and I'm sure received money for school as well. If he got hurt in college, he would have undoubtedly lost his scholarship. He now has a chance to go back to school and get his degree if he chooses.

Finally, I get that he's a pro and you can use his name. You also could have said "top prospect" just as easy. That's just me.

Honestly, I still don't see the point. Sure the information is available on the web and folks that are specifically interested in the player will find it anyways.

But as an "example" of your point on a local message board? I really don't get it. I just don't.

You coulda made the same point with no names and statistics instead, or just refer to him in a manner like NCSF suggests. It wouldn't have detracted from your point and might have launched a far more interesting topic.

Seems to me if you are signed out of High School in a high enough round that you get a decent -- at least mid to high 6 figures -- signing bonus that's enough to tide you over for a few years and you get a guarantee of college money in case things don't work out, why not go for it? It's an adventure of a lifetime, I imagine. And you're still young enough to recover in case things don't work out. And if things do work out, it's all upside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT