ADVERTISEMENT

MLK EVent @ DLS

50-36 Salesian after 3…. Salesian’s team D has the Crusaders reduced to long 3’s, and little else.

Pretty backdoor pass, couldn’t see in the crowd which Pridester scored…. but “pretty” is the operative word. 59-43 Salesian, 1:30 left…

Dawgs have been called off…

Last game of the evening…. Bishop O’Dowd vs Capital Christian of Sac-town.

I haven’t seen O’Dowd this season at all, but have seen CC twice. Talented but somewhat inconsistent team.

61-48 Salesian final.

I gotta say, I’m a little surprised by how Salesian just ran away with this game at halftime. No adjustments, size wise Salesian has no one above 6’5….Riordan between Rencher, Sensley and Emeneke….it makes zero sense that Salesian would win let alone going away.

I’ve come to the following two conclusions:

1) Bill Mellis has to be considered one of the best coaches in Bay Area history at this point. I don’t know if Salesian has 1 D1 scholarship player (Obenyah???) and Riordan has a handful. This game was about coaching.

2) Salesian vs. Harvard-Westlake is my pick for CIF Open and as much as I want to back Salesian I think HW’s height will be the difference.

Capital making a run.. 26-22 O’Dowd now, a bit closer than it was awhile ago… 23 seconds left in the half,

And Capital makes the last bucket of the half…. 26-24 O’Dowd.

28-26 Capital Christian, 4:51 left 3rd…

Can’t say it’s been overly pretty.

Tied at 36 now, 50 seconds left 3rd…. Make that 39-36 Dragons, 3 ball…

Make that 41-36, steal, great pass…. and Tobias Aisan is fouled! FT is good…

2.5 seconds.Long CC try just short. 42-36 Dragons after 3.

I gotta say, I’m a little surprised by how Salesian just ran away with this game at halftime. No adjustments, size wise Salesian has no one above 6’5….Riordan between Rencher, Sensley and Emeneke….it makes zero sense that Salesian would win let alone going away.

1) Bill Mellis has to be considered one of the best coaches in Bay Area history at this point. I don’t know if Salesian has 1 D1 scholarship player (Obenyah???) and Riordan has a handful. This game was about coaching.

2) Salesian vs. Harvard-Westlake is my pick for CIF Open and as much as I want to back Salesian I think HW’s height will be the difference.
You didnt know? Their number 1 fan on this board said its not about banners, which means its not about winning. Just buy talent, stack all these players and get them D1 scholarships.

" #NewAttitude @TheR
#@TheRTheNewAttitudeIsStudent/AthleteDevelopmentNotABanner
#BannersRtimestampsNotCulture
#MoreD1playersWillComeTo@TheR "

CJ Willenborg makes it a 1-point game…. then a steal! Pass to Jayden Valdez, makes a layup to take the lead! 45-44 CC, 4:38 left.

Valdez putback score.. 47-44.

Josh Green fouled on the way…. makes both…. 47-46 CC with ball. Dragons rebound a miss, tho.. their ball, 3:11 left.

Drive by Green, he’s fouled.. no bonus…

Leo Chapman with a big 3 for O’Dowd! 49-47 Dragons…. CC try, nope…. Dragons rebound, time out. 49-47 Dragons, their ball with a 2-point lead. 1:36 left

Pass to Chapman, nope…. but DragonTobias Aisen grabs the rebound, is fouled…. Makes both.. 51-47, 1:10 left.

Dragons grab a rebound…. Time out, 50.8 left. Dragons ball, they led 51-47.

Not sure what I did, calling wrong names for CC players. Anyway… Dragons lead 51-50, time out Dragons. Substitute “Wiggens” for “Valdez”…. most of those times…. I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue…. :)

At least I have the team names right…

Now 53-50 O’Dowd…. CC has the ball in forecourt, 19.5 seconds left.

CC scores quickly, immediate time out…

53-52 Dragons, their ball on their own end.

Claytor is D1, committed to Hawaii

15.4 seconds left.

Near-immediate foul, Tobias Aisen at the line…. Makes both…. 55-52.

Dragons have a lot of fouls to use…. they use one, can’t get the next one before Valdez gets off a shot! FT’s, chance to tie…. 2.4 left.

First good.

2nd good…

3rd…. good!

DRagons race downcourt, but can’t get a shot off!

We have four minutes of…. FREEEEE. BASSSSSSKETBALL!

Danny Panda scores right off the tip…. CC by 2.

Offensive foul by O’Dowd…

Valdez goes baseline, fouled on the miss…. FT’s split…. but O’Dowd loses the rebound to CC.

Dragons steal…. and a 3! Tied at 58.

Fred Blue scores for CC…. jump ball goes to…. the Dragons.

Pass in to Miles Dixon, fouled.. FT’s good. Tied at 60.

Dragons DUNK by Wiggens! 62-60… and a Dragons charge…

1:10 left.

Willenborg fouled on a shot…. FT’s split…. CC rebound, but a charging foul! CC ball, 63-60 lead. 50 seconds…

but they turn it over. Steal, Panda fouled after a score…. and a Tech…. THis one’s over. I’ll let the accountants take care of the rest…. I’m out…

Gads, I messed up all over the place…

I might just retire the ol’s play-by-play style…. just go to comments instead.

Reactions: concrete17

I said it before.. in an 32 minute high school game 5 stars and multiple scholarship players don't work. U can't gave 10 guys who all want to shoot.

Bill Mellis is by far the best coach in Nor Cal hands down. One of the best absolutely, but hard to put him past Alloco and Phelps. He reminds me of Lippi who got a lot out of his talent as well as the doctor. Those guys never had 9-10 D1 players. And hell I would even put Frank L(Kidds coach), Gordy Johnson St Joe’s, Lou Ritchie. And Jonas who coached Branson for many years. All of the above would love to have loaded rosters. But they also know it’s not easy to have a loaded roster. Just ask Mater Dei, they lost state titles they had no business losing. Defense wins championships in the end. Especially when you have a team that’s lighting fast going the other way.

Last edited:
I said it before.. in an 32 minute high school game 5 stars and multiple scholarship players don't work. U can't gave 10 guys who all want to shoot.
Preach my man. I have seen many state title games where the team with a way better roster on paper have lost. And some didn’t even make it to Sac.

Salesian absolutely shot and executed lights out after adjusting to the 1-3-1 zone Riordan threw at them. Salesian certainly showed who is #1 in NorCal. I do see Riordan as the WCAL and CCS Open champion. Quick turnaround as Riordan is in San Jose tomorrow night at Mitty.

You didnt know? Their number 1 fan on this board said its not about banners, which means its not about winning. Just buy talent, stack all these players and get them D1 scholarships.

" #NewAttitude @TheR
#@TheRTheNewAttitudeIsStudent/AthleteDevelopmentNotABanner
#BannersRtimestampsNotCulture
#MoreD1playersWillComeTo@TheR "
Salesians new principal is a good friend and my sons 3rd grade principal last year. He went from his Pre-K thru 8th alum as principal to his high school alum where he won a state title playing under Mellis. I have not heard this nor have I have any inkling of this. But if Salesians elects to get on the dorm business they are going from one of the top Nor Cal teams year in and year out to National Power. Mark my words if they make that jump and Kenneth Farr is a well respected man in the archdiocese of Oakland. And great story, during COVID he went viral for how he got his kids going as principal remotely. One appearance on Ellen remotely and 100 new chrome books. Then a follow up live on Ellen and a brand new SUV. If you haven’t seen it, google Ellen Kenneth Farr. Good high school player, great human, and outstanding principal. And I look forward to him being my son’s principal once again in a few years. #RINGS

Reactions: concrete17

The Salesian kids may not run as fast or jump as high, but they know how to play basketball. That means they play both ends of the floor. Give the kids some credit too. Coaches rely on players who buy into the concepts and principles that the coaches are teaching. Bill Mellis is the best coach in the bay area, and he's fortunate to have high IQ players who flat out know how to play the game of basketball the right way.

You
The Salesian kids may not run as fast or jump as high, but they know how to play basketball. That means they play both ends of the floor. Give the kids some credit too. Coaches rely on players who buy into the concepts and principles that the coaches are teaching. Bill Mellis is the best coach in the bay area, and he's fortunate to have high IQ players who flat out know how to play the game of basketball the right way.
You’re 100 percent correct. I will see Salesian play the first time this coming weekend, they have always seemed to be fast. Have they lost that cause I agree with you that he has had many seasons without much height

Salesians new principal is a good friend and my sons 3rd grade principal last year. He went from his Pre-K thru 8th alum as principal to his high school alum where he won a state title playing under Mellis. I have not heard this nor have I have any inkling of this. But if Salesians elects to get on the dorm business they are going from one of the top Nor Cal teams year in and year out to National Power. Mark my words if they make that jump and Kenneth Farr is a well respected man in the archdiocese of Oakland. And great story, during COVID he went viral for how he got his kids going as principal remotely. One appearance on Ellen remotely and 100 new chrome books. Then a follow up live on Ellen and a brand new SUV. If you haven’t seen it, google Ellen Kenneth Farr. Good high school player, great human, and outstanding principal. And I look forward to him being my son’s principal once again in a few years. #RINGS
Salesian absolutely shot and executed lights out after adjusting to the 1-3-1 zone Riordan threw at them. Salesian certainly showed who is #1 in NorCal. I do see Riordan as the WCAL and CCS Open champion. Quick turnaround as Riordan is in San Jose tomorrow night at Mitty.
Mellis weathered the storm early and was patient against the 1-3-1. Countering with and aggressive H/C 3-2 trapping into man. Riordan never adjusted but trying different personnel. All looking to dribble through vs spacing ball fakes hit the middle. High level talent across the board. Look forward to seeing the next battle. Call the Dr. for film break down at the forum film room. Minor tweaks different outcome. Salesian only has 1 D1 signee but a plethora of 4 year college kids that will excel at the next level. Wouldn't be shocked if a couple more receive in due time.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
Kiddman, thanks once again for your reporting. Even though I was there, it’s still great reading back over these games when I get home.
So many great programs in another fantastic MLK event, the postseason is going to be electric.
There was a comment that the gym was fairly empty early on, just wanted to point out that the gym was jammed pack during most of the 2nd Session of games.

Bill Mellis is by far the best coach in Nor Cal hands down. One of the best absolutely, but hard to put him past Alloco and Phelps. He reminds me of Lippi who got a lot out of his talent as well as the doctor. Those guys never had 9-10 D1 players. And hell I would even put Frank L(Kidds coach), Gordy Johnson St Joe’s, Lou Ritchie. And Jonas who coached Branson for many years. All of the above would love to have loaded rosters. But they also know it’s not easy to have a loaded roster. Just ask Mater Dei, they lost state titles they had no business losing. Defense wins championships in the end. Especially when you have a team that’s lighting fast going the other way.
Food for thought…. Mellis is a good coach yes BUT there have been 10 NorCal Opens now. Salesian has only made 5 of those . 3 times they were the # 1 seed and Salesian has yet to win one game going 0-5 in the open

Reactions: M.C. fan
They run pretty darn fast. They're excellent in transition and extremely muscular.

Reactions: observer22

Salesian has D1 signed commitment to UniversityOfHawaii:Clayton

Ridiculous that DLS didn't even pay the money to get good referees for these games. This was the worst officiating I've ever seen at a showcase event. Took all the fun away from what was supposed to be great games with good competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT