ADVERTISEMENT

Monte Vista JV Parent punched by referee

Jan 11, 2007
Thursday, Feb. 1 JV boys game vs. San Ramon Valley. After the game ended and officials were leaving the court, a Monte Vista parent stopped a referee and allegedly asked "what high school did you attend, n*****? "The parent put a hand on the official, and then the official threw a right hook and knocked the parent on his heels. I've seen the video (it's still up on Hudl).

I saw that Ethan Kassel posted about it Sat. night, but it seems to have been deleted. There was another tweet that police were called about an assault but the 'suspect' had left the premises and no charges have been filed. Can't find anything else online. Does anyone have more info on repercussions?

I do not condone the official's response, but when will schools start taking responsibility for fan behavior?

There is a group of MV JV parents that sit behind the MV bench and bitch at the refs the entire game. This dad and another dad are over the top about their kids not getting calls. The guy who does videos of the game is just as bad. They feed off of each other.

When is the CIF and school administrations going to do something and kick these parents out? I’m tired of the CIF announcement about sportsmanship. It is a waste of time.

There is a ref shortage and it is going to get worse when you look at the age of the refs in our area.

I know someone who was there, but had left before the incident occurred. He and a friend of his saw that things were getting really nasty, and they decided watching the 2nd half of the game wasn't worth the risk of getting stuck in the middle of a brawl or something.

He pointed me by text to the punch video and also told me that this parent (and possibly others) had been riding the ref in profane fashion the entire game, and from just off the court, not way up in the stands.

I also saw the thread in Ethan's Twitter, and it seems to me that the dude who used his face to block the ref's punch was probably the one who called the cops and the "suspect" was that ref.

Something definitely needs to be done about overly abusive fans like this dude.

Same should go for the Inderkum parents who came over the rail onto the court at Riordan last year... But I wouldn't be surprised if those guys are going to games this year as if nothing ever happened.

Reactions: M.C. fan
I know someone who was there, but had left before the incident occurred. He and a friend of his saw that things were getting really nasty, and they decided watching the 2nd half of the game wasn't worth the risk of getting stuck in the middle of a brawl or something.

He pointed me by text to the punch video and also told me that this parent (and possibly others) had been riding the ref in profane fashion the entire game, and from just off the court, not way up in the stands.

I also saw the thread in Ethan's Twitter, and it seems to me that the dude who used his face to block the ref's punch was probably the one who called the cops and the "suspect" was that ref.

Same should go for the Inderkum parents who came over the rail onto the court at Riordan last year... But I wouldn't be surprised if those guys are going to games this year as if nothing ever happened.
This is fair and makes sense. Those Inderkum parents are gone. I believe it is only one kid there from that incident.

Thursday, Feb. 1 JV boys game vs. San Ramon Valley. After the game ended and officials were leaving the court, a Monte Vista parent stopped a referee and allegedly asked "what high school did you attend, n*****? "The parent put a hand on the official, and then the official threw a right hook and knocked the parent on his heels. I've seen the video (it's still up on Hudl).

I saw that Ethan Kassel posted about it Sat. night, but it seems to have been deleted. There was another tweet that police were called about an assault but the 'suspect' had left the premises and no charges have been filed. Can't find anything else online. Does anyone have more info on repercussions?

I do not condone the official's response, but when will schools start taking responsibility for fan behavior?
pretty certain the ref did not attend san ramon valley high so that would be an odd question

There is a group of MV JV parents that sit behind the MV bench and bitch at the refs the entire game. This dad and another dad are over the top about their kids not getting calls. The guy who does videos of the game is just as bad. They feed off of each other.

When is the CIF and school administrations going to do something and kick these parents out? I’m tired of the CIF announcement about sportsmanship. It is a waste of time.

There is a ref shortage and it is going to get worse when you look at the age of the refs in our area.
its always the jv parents... they dont realize their son/daughter are not very good or they would be on varsity.. so they take it out on the refs and coaches

to be fair, riordan started that fight..

Glad that parent got clocked, if you talk like that then you have consented to mutual combat 100% so if you get clocked then you’re just a pussy for thinking you can say that and not have to throw down then call the cops……ofc it was a parent from Danville

Glad that parent got clocked, if you talk like that then you have consented to mutual combat 100% so if you get clocked then you’re just a pussy for thinking you can say that and not have to throw down then call the cops……ofc it was a parent from Danville
bruh

to be fair, riordan started that fight..
We already discussed that in another thread, and if I remember correctly, I believe I admitted that after looking again at the video.

What I'm talking about is that parents and/or fans cannot be allowed to leave the stands and jump into a fight like that, no matter what kid started it.

After watching that video - I now realize why some refs sprint off the court after games to avoid this type of BS. While I don't condone violence - I also don't blame the ref if the fan(s) was riding him all day then used the n word afterward. I have to admit that back in the day - I used to get on the refs a bit too much and feel ashamed by a couple of my outbursts..... That being said, most of my ire was directed at my son when he stunk it up on the court :cool: tho.....

the fan waited there and made 3 hand gestures at the ref as the ref was walking toward the exit.
once they were face to face i imagine he didnt ask him when his birthday was and does he like coke or pepsi.

the ref did walk toward him which is the way out, but he stopped to engage.
it is bad on both parts.
now, monte vista admin cant act like this is the first time or that the guy was having a bad day that day. they should have been closer and ready for this.

The guy in blue who rushed out of the stands was just as annoying yelling at the refs as the dad who was punched. I sat there part of the game and couldn’t take it anymore. This isn’t the first game they have behaved that way.

While I’m at it, nice if Granada stepped up and removed the one or two dads that yell as well. These guys go well beyond a simple objection to a call.

The guy in blue who rushed out of the stands was just as annoying yelling at the refs as the dad who was punched. I sat there part of the game and couldn’t take it anymore. This isn’t the first game they have behaved that way.

While I’m at it, nice if Granada stepped up and removed the one or two dads that yell as well. These guys go well beyond a simple objection to a call.
i wonder if he told him he was going down there to give that N a piece of his mind.. his broski should have at least followed him down there for back up

Cant see if the parent actually touched the ref, but he probably said what the above said and that set the ref off. Not a lawyer but doesn't the self defense reason constitute if parent physically initiates? If its just verbal, no matter what was said, looks like the ref assaulted the guy. Both are wrong for what transpired but parent got what he deserved. You mouth off with no consequences. Get over it dad. Its JV hoops. Not the NBA finals.

I hope the Monte Vista administration bans that loser from watching his kid play in person next season. Buy an NFHS membership pal. You’re out

Reactions: WWHS44
he gotta face his wife and kids now... knowing daddy a punk can sting... son cant even walk the halls now with his chest out

he gotta face his wife and kids now... knowing daddy a punk can sting... son cant even walk the halls now with his chest out
Guy had to show up to work the next day and face the chin music that he got slept on his feet by a ref.

Parents do not realize how difficult it is to officiate a game and the pay, while getting better, isn’t great. Sometimes these wealthier area parents can be worse because of the extreme entitlement the parents have.
Some people with money, sometimes subconsciously, look down of the working class.

lets just go with call your own fouls from now on. if theres a disagreement, players shoots a top of the key three. make or miss determines if your call is valid.

Reactions: CityBoy415

To some parents the game is a matter of life and death

Guy had to show up to work the next day and face the chin music that he got slept on his feet by a ref.
I’m not so sure that parent made it to work from the looks of that right hook to the chops,lol,i’d say he’s probabably at the proctologist retrieving his teeth!

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
Some years back after a contentious game between Maria Carrillo and Santa Rosa girls a SR parent grabbed a bag of ice and chucked it at a MC player hitting her in the side of the face/head. Nothing happened to the parent criminally and the SR contingency covered for the parent making excuses. Heat of the moment etc...

This kind of crap can't happen...there needs to be consequences.

Reactions: MC415
Randomly if the parent put hands on an official first and uttered the N word is it a misdemeamor hate crime? In CA its a misdeameanor to put hands on any official at a sporting event if I am correct. Hate crime instance would be added for the verbage.

Randomly if the parent put hands on an official first and uttered the N word is it a misdemeamor hate crime? In CA its a misdeameanor to put hands on any official at a sporting event if I am correct. Hate crime instance would be added for the verbage.
was it the ER or A.. there is a difference.

I see three parties at fault. First is the school administration/staff. If this man was as awful as others mentioned during the game, he should have received a warning and then removed if he didn't comply. It should have not escalated past this point.

The man who approached the ref after the game was way out of line. If the reports on this board are accurate about his comment to the ref, he should expect to get popped. At a minimum, the school administration should ban him from attending any games for the remainder of the year.

The ref was out of line punching the obnoxious fan. You are refereeing a high school basketball game. Insults and disrespect are not uncommon or unexpected. If you tee off on someone and it isn't self-defense, expect to pay the consequences (it looks like the violence exerted surpasses the threat). If you can't handle disrespectful behavior, it's probably not the right job. We've all experienced customers and even colleagues acting disrespectful, yet we compose ourselves, not throw haymakers.

The behavior also sets a terrible example for the kids. People are too quick to react out of anger, and the consequences can cost your job, scholarship, relationship, etc.. I will not be surprised if he is charged for assault.

All parties need to be better, especially in a high school environment.

Reactions: ankleassassin
I see three parties at fault. First is the school administration/staff. If this man was as awful as others mentioned during the game, he should have received a warning and then removed if he didn't comply. It should have not escalated past this point.

The man who approached the ref after the game was way out of line. If the reports on this board are accurate about his comment to the ref, he should expect to get popped. At a minimum, the school administration should ban him from attending any games for the remainder of the year.

The ref was out of line punching the obnoxious fan. You are refereeing a high school basketball game. Insults and disrespect are not uncommon or unexpected. If you tee off on someone and it isn't self-defense, expect to pay the consequences (it looks like the violence exerted surpasses the threat). If you can't handle disrespectful behavior, it's probably not the right job. We've all experienced customers and even colleagues acting disrespectful, yet we compose ourselves, not throw haymakers.

The behavior also sets a terrible example for the kids. People are too quick to react out of anger, and the consequences can cost your job, scholarship, relationship, etc.. I will not be surprised if he is charged for assault.

All parties need to be better, especially in a high school environment.
Great points. But not so sure the referee was at fault. How much disrespect should any man have to take. What? He's supposed to just walk away? This isn't the 1960s. You should be careful of what you say to people or be prepared to get touched up like a paint job. Which is what happened! It's unfortunate, but racism will be here forever. In the workplace, recreation, in LIFE. If this wasn't the issue, the N-word should have never came out!

Animated GIF

Reactions: WhistlersMother
Great points. But not so sure the referee was at fault. How much disrespect should any man have to take. What? He's supposed to just walk away? This isn't the 1960s. You should be careful of what you say to people or be prepared to get touched up like a paint job. Which is what happened! It's unfortunate, but racism will be here forever. In the workplace, recreation, in LIFE. If this wasn't the issue, the N-word should have never came out!
yes, he probably should have kept walking. he has far more to lose in that situation unfortunately. i dont know how busy the danville pd is but the climate round there i hope they do not make an example of him. if the word came out when the fan was in the stands and nobody around him said something that is one thing. but if he said it while standing there waiting... ref gotta keep it moving. i lose everything if i get arrested, hopefully he doesnt.

Reactions: WCAL88
Yea I can understand your point. But when you're in the moment, it might be hard to have some self-control. Not everyone will react to disrespect the same way. Thats why you should be careful how you talk to and treat people. I don't know many that would just walk away when someone is shouting that in their face. People need to go on with that b.s. Stop disrespecting people. Then have the nerve to call the cops. smhhh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT