ADVERTISEMENT

Most One-Sided Game Ever?

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018

Rancho Christian beat this poor team 103-9

And I thought the Riordan-Lynbrook game was bad.

This is a two way street. For a score to be that bad, one team is really good and sometimes the school just has that reputation of being classless and they dont care and the other team has a coach and players that dont care and are not good at all.

I mean you watch the video and the other team straight up looks like a glorified JV team.

Meanwhile Rancho Christian has the Mobley bros. One who is going to USC next year and is a top 20 prospect in class of 2019. His brother Evan Mobley is actually ranked no 1 even above Jalen Green!

I mean you watch the video and the other team straight up looks like a glorified JV team.

If that. Most JV teams I’ve seen would destroy those guys. Some of those passes were just right to Rancho. You couldn’t try to play worse than that.

Reactions: ayalar09
If that. Most JV teams I’ve seen would destroy those guys. Some of those passes were just right to Rancho. You couldn’t try to play worse than that.

I’d love a coaches opinion on this. If you were in either situation...what would you do?

Me personally I’m taking my kids off the court when the score is like 75-10 or whatever it was. At that point all that can happen is bad things. Or is it better to keep them on the court and continue to get it handed to them?

If I am up 30-40 at that point bring bench players in. If they do well and jack it up to 50 or more. I tell my guys to hold the ball for all 35 sec and then take best shot with 5 sec left.

Reactions: coachlittle
I've been on both sides of this however not to this extreme-

For me as a coach of the winning team: Starters are out the entire 2nd half. We aren't there to embarrass an extremely less talented opponent. Subs play hard, but no pressing, execute 1/2 court offense, use the shot clock and work on good fundamental basketball.

As the losing coach: My guys are going to play hard the whole time. If the other team is continuing to do things like pressing, dunking, etc. my guys will continue to play hard, but I'm also going to tell them "no easy baskets" which means good clean hard fouls for anybody going to the rim. Simple as that.

I had a situation in a playoff game a few years ago when we were down 30 in the 4th quarter to the top seed. Best player on the other team(D1 prospect at the time) was still in trying to get break away dunks. One of my guys hard fouled him twice in a row and didn't allow those dunks. Neither were called flagrants. The other coach finally realized he should take his guy out...

I've been on both sides of this however not to this extreme-

For me as a coach of the winning team: Starters are out the entire 2nd half. We aren't there to embarrass an extremely less talented opponent. Subs play hard, but no pressing, execute 1/2 court offense, use the shot clock and work on good fundamental basketball.

As the losing coach: My guys are going to play hard the whole time. If the other team is continuing to do things like pressing, dunking, etc. my guys will continue to play hard, but I'm also going to tell them "no easy baskets" which means good clean hard fouls for anybody going to the rim. Simple as that.

I had a situation in a playoff game a few years ago when we were down 30 in the 4th quarter to the top seed. Best player on the other team(D1 prospect at the time) was still in trying to get break away dunks. One of my guys hard fouled him twice in a row and didn't allow those dunks. Neither were called flagrants. The other coach finally realized he should take his guy out...
Absolutely correct. Play the bottom 5 the last 3 quarters. Play zone and don’t try to steal the ball. Walk it up court on defensive rebounds. Run a set play the ends in a jump shot every possession.

There are plenty of ways to bleed the clock so as not to be that low class.

WTF with the Mobley(s) still in the game at the end of the third quarter! Totally classless and if I was the opposing coach I would have had words with the RC coach. I echo the sentiments re: hard fouls and really feel bad for the players on the losing side. Totally classless display by Rancho Christian IMHO! I doubt these type of ethos are what this Christian school aspires to.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT