ADVERTISEMENT

Napoleon Kaufman out at BOD

Predicted this a few years ago. His son was a senior this year. Go figure. However, he did a decent job of coaching the Dragons. That said, his passion for the game may bring him back in a few years.

Does anyone have any insight why there is coaching turnover at O’Dowd? I understand Nickerson and Kaufman coming in to coach their sons but it seems like a program that should have more stability.

Does anyone have any insight why there is coaching turnover at O’Dowd? I understand Nickerson and Kaufman coming in to coach their sons but it seems like a program that should have more stability.
Great question. Wish I knew the answer. One would think the Berkeley Yellowjackets would have more stability as well. I always thought they would become a powerhouse one day.

Wish Coach Kaufman the best...what ex-NFL star is up next?

Kaufman took the program to new heights. Give him big credit. Consistent contender, win state title, put kids out to the next level. Wish him the best with whatever is next.

Who would be the top candidates for that job?

Kaufman took the program to new heights. Give him big credit. Consistent contender, win state title, put kids out to the next level. Wish him the best with whatever is next.

Who would be the top candidates for that job?

I think he did a good job too. O'Dowd has always had college prospects, but this has been their best run of on field success in awhile.

Top candidates

Beam- Laney
Hodgins- Berkeley
Partridge- Liberty
Rodriguez- Logan

Hearing it’s Beams job if he wants it. Per O’Dowd parents.

Good question. Maybe $$$?
If they can make it worth his while, he’d be an excellent replacement.
Yes he would. But I would think Beams next step would be a four year college job rather than HS. He's been coaching at the JC level for a while now

Why would Beam go from JC back to high school?

I don't see why a coach would go from JUCO to high school unless it was a low level JC to a high profile HS, which isn't the case here.

Also can't see why Partridge would make the move.

Liberty’s Partridge is in his third year. Good years for sure, but that’s a slim resume to facilitate moving up. Plus, once in the teacher’s union that 25 years to CALSTRS
goes quickly.

Good question. Maybe $$$?
If they can make it worth his while, he’d be an excellent replacement.

1. Beam made close to $200k at Laney last season plus a solid benefits package. This is all public information as he is an employee at a public institution. Not sure BOD will match that though I'm sure the Archdiocese of Oakland has more than enough money to throw at him.

2. Beam isn't just now becoming a hot name, he's been wrecking shop in Oakland for ages. As good as Alonzo Carter was and as quickly as he ascended, Beam was the original. Zo didn't kick it into overdrive until Beam left for Laney. If Bishop O'Dowd wanted Beam they would have poached him from Skyline ages ago. Not now. Not when's he's got a JC State Championship under his belt and a whole Netflix series dedicated to his program.

1. Beam made close to $200k at Laney last season plus a solid benefits package. This is all public information as he is an employee at a public institution. Not sure BOD will match that though I'm sure the Archdiocese of Oakland has more than enough money to throw at him.

2. Beam isn't just now becoming a hot name, he's been wrecking shop in Oakland for ages. As good as Alonzo Carter was and as quickly as he ascended, Beam was the original. Zo didn't kick it into overdrive until Beam left for Laney. If Bishop O'Dowd wanted Beam they would have poached him from Skyline ages ago. Not now. Not when's he's got a JC State Championship under his belt and a whole Netflix series dedicated to his program.
Agree,though Paul Perenon had built up ODowds football program during a lot of the same time frame. Best years O'Dowd football ever had was under Perenon. No need for BOD to have gone after Beam at that time.

He's probably pulling a quarter million $$'s as AD & Football coach @ Laney. Why leave that to make 5k @ BOD?

That’s why I said IF they can make it worth his while. If BOD really wanted him, I’m sure they’d come up with much more than what a public school could offer. But if he’s making a quarter mill at Laney, that’s not going to happen.

That’s why I said IF they can make it worth his while. If BOD really wanted him, I’m sure they’d come up with much more than what a public school could offer. But if he’s making a quarter mill at Laney, that’s not going to happen.

I don't really know Nickerson & Kaufman's situation @ BOD. But I think they were just off campus coaches making probably the most in the area @ 5k.
To bring anyone on and make it worth their while I'm sure they would have to be hired as a teacher and I have a credential.

It makes no sense to me but hiring a teacher and hiring a coach aren't even on the same planet. It's two totally separate things. Which is a big part of the problem with high school sports these days.

He's not. Not even close.

I don't really know Nickerson & Kaufman's situation @ BOD. But I think they were just off campus coaches making probably the most in the area @ 5k.
To bring anyone on and make it worth their while I'm sure they would have to be hired as a teacher and I have a credential.

It makes no sense to me but hiring a teacher and hiring a coach aren't even on the same planet. It's two totally separate things. Which is a big part of the problem with high school sports these days.

Listed at $182,000 for salary, benefits, extras.

Private school teachers do not have to earn a credential as do their Public counterparts.

Most, (especially top FB programmed) but not all, publics need to offer the coveted tenure track position or a lateral addition to earned tenure to recruit the better coaches. Due to absurdly minimal stipends, a good/successful coach not gaining an on-campus position will move on in 1-3 years.

Private schools have fewer constraints in those areas. In fact, it’s not unusual to see spouses, many without credentials, working on the same campus.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT