ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Thoughts

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
A few thoughts..
1. Grown men are better than kids. Been saying it for years. I will take a 22-23 year old senior over the 18 year old MCD., Look at UK. That model don't work coach Cal. Same story every year now. No different than playing city league and you go up against a bunch of OG's who can't run or jump but clean your clock when you are young.

2. Lots of D2 guys proving they can play and belong at D1 level. Jaylen Wells ala Folsom and Sonoma State Cossacks is kiling it.

3. Always so many stories to follow. NC State with the big guy DJ Burns has them on a tear. Love when good kids get put on center state and the tourney does that so well. Oakland U with there coach who has been there 40 years. Just awesome.

4. Oregon looks tough...... Great coach. Lookout.

Another day... More madness.

Great takes. The "1 and done" model, the constant changing rosters due to NIL and the Transfer portal, and the mid-major teams with a bunch of 4th & 5th year players, continue to level the playing field. I'm no longer shocked when the "Oaklands" of the world beat the Blue Bloods. Its just gonna keep happening, and I love it.

Great takes. The "1 and done" model, the constant changing rosters due to NIL and the Transfer portal, and the mid-major teams with a bunch of 4th & 5th year players, continue to level the playing field. I'm no longer shocked when the "Oaklands" of the world beat the Blue Bloods. Its just gonna keep happening, and I love it.
Couldn't agree more @mrbig864. Makes it great. I love how Oakland wasn't having a parade or didn't seem all that shocked. They believed entire time they belong and were going to win. Great leadership by their coach.

A few thoughts..
1. Grown men are better than kids. Been saying it for years. I will take a 22-23 year old senior over the 18 year old MCD., Look at UK. That model don't work coach Cal. Same story every year now. No different than playing city league and you go up against a bunch of OG's who can't run or jump but clean your clock when you are young.

2. Lots of D2 guys proving they can play and belong at D1 level. Jaylen Wells ala Folsom and Sonoma State Cossacks is kiling it.

3. Always so many stories to follow. NC State with the big guy DJ Burns has them on a tear. Love when good kids get put on center state and the tourney does that so well. Oakland U with there coach who has been there 40 years. Just awesome.

4. Oregon looks tough...... Great coach. Lookout.

Another day... More madness.

You are correct about grown men but Kentucky started 3 older veteran players. The truth is coach Cal is awful and there is no excuse for Kentucky results the last 5-6 years.

You are correct about grown men but Kentucky started 3 older veteran players. The truth is coach Cal is awful and there is no excuse for Kentucky results the last 5-6 years.
Absolutely horrible X and O coach. Great recruiter. Honestly, if I'm a blue blood faithful he needs to go. Just an absolute non factor with pro's every year.

• UK is 32-12 (72.7%) in the NCAA Tournament under Calipari. Since he took over in the 2009-10 season, going into this year’s tournament, no team has more:
    • NCAA Tournament wins – 32 (tied with Kansas)
    • Final Four appearances – four
    • Elite Eight appearances – seven
    • Sweet 16 appearances – eight
Not into Calipari, just a fan of facts.

Same here and I like to live in the present. You are talking about a guy who gets NBA players losing to "borderline" D1 guys. As in closer to D2. Just atrocious. Wouldn't be suprised if UK parts ways. Not acceptable with that talent.

Please give us fans more facts. We are dying to know.

2021- Didn't make NCAA tourney
2022- Elminated 1st found
2023- Eliminated 2nd round
2024- Eliminated 1st round

• UK is 32-12 (72.7%) in the NCAA Tournament under Calipari. Since he took over in the 2009-10 season, going into this year’s tournament, no team has more:
    • NCAA Tournament wins – 32 (tied with Kansas)
    • Final Four appearances – four
    • Elite Eight appearances – seven
    • Sweet 16 appearances – eight
Not into Calipari, just a fan of facts.
True stats but cherry picking. Can’t be losing to 15 seeds two out of the last three years and not make any deep runs for 6 years at any major blue blood. And with the wealth of nba talent he has had there it’s not unfair to criticize him for only winning one title. You get paid 9 million a year at Kentucky these results are not acceptable to their fan base. But he has a 35 million dollar buy out so the school is screwed.

oakland wont make it out this weekend and might not make another tourny for 10 years. kentucky and cal will be in the tournament next year with a high seed.

anyone can be beat on any day.

I guess we were way off base. Haha. This isn't the bay area sports fan. This is UK hoops. He wasn't getting off the hook. Fact is UK nation pushed Calipari out. He wasn't technically fired because UK would have owed him around $34M. You don't lose to a dude who plays city league in his off nights and does turbo tax in the "season" to help pay bills.

Who wins in all of this... Actually everybody. UK doesn't owe a crap ton of money and gets a fresh start. Arkansas gets a great recruiter who can't coach X and O's but will still win games. USC probably the most because Mussellman will bring W's and energy to that program.

Lets be clear . . . the ACC and Big East totally dominate the NCAA tournament in this generation. 16 champs (8 each) since 2001. In that time, Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, SEC have COMBINED 6 champs and the Big 10 and Pac 12 have zero.

Kentucky had a good run the first part of Coach Cal's tenure, but the last five years they are not an elite team in the tourney or in regular season.

This was another great tourney, even if no Cinderella made it to Arizona. Lets hope the NCAA, NLRB and the Courts do not completely destroy college hoops and March Madness in the coming years. This is the greatest sporting event in USA in my opinion.

Lets be clear . . . the ACC and Big East totally dominate the NCAA tournament in this generation. 16 champs (8 each) since 2001. In that time, Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, SEC have COMBINED 6 champs and the Big 10 and Pac 12 have zero.

Kentucky had a good run the first part of Coach Cal's tenure, but the last five years they are not an elite team in the tourney or in regular season.

This was another great tourney, even if no Cinderella made it to Arizona. Lets hope the NCAA, NLRB and the Courts do not completely destroy college hoops and March Madness in the coming years. This is the greatest sporting event in USA in my opinion.
why will it be destroyed?

why will it be destroyed?
I will give you two examples.

For one, the NLRB has made significant progress in making all D1 student athletes into employees under federal labor law and is taking steps to push this deeper and further. If the NLRB and courts turn athletes into employees it will be extremely difficult for the smaller mid-major schools to compete, and perhaps even field teams.

Second, if the NCAA expands the tournament significantly, and starts giving top team byes, will we really have the same caliber tournament?

These are just two examples of ideas/trends that are being floated around by these bodies that could materially alter March Madness and materially diminish its appeal and the reasons most of it love it so much.

Agree. The tournament is the best sporting event. Lot of issues around college athletics but the current format of the NCAA Tournament isn't one of them.

And it seems like most changes center around helping the bigger schools, which would damage the appeal of the event

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT