ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D1 Bracket

Would love to know the rational for that. While CV had the head to head, all other factors would seem to clearly put SRV ahead of CV.

Would love to know the rational for that. While CV had the head to head, all other factors would seem to clearly put SRV ahead of CV.

Could be because this sets up SRV to play James Logan in the quarter-finals, instead of facing California for the 4th time this season.

Could be because this sets up SRV to play James Logan in the quarter-finals, instead of facing California for the 4th time this season.

Maybe it's just me, but the bottom bracket looks a bit more stacked than the top half does. I Think a 4th time square off could have been exciting. Should be a few interesting match ups. That is at least by the 2nd or 3rd round. Best wishes to all post season teams.

Any possible upsets in round 1?

I think there could be some "upsets" in the first round:
Amador vs. American this game could go either way. was a close game last time
Dublin vs. Mission while dublin is a very good team, Mission always has a good, well coached team.

Reactions: Paytc
Who has a pick for James Logan vs San Leandro? Do Mt. Eden or Liberty have a chance at an upset?

American just had a great win over Newark but C-LET waits in the second round for the winner so goodnight. I'll go American here. 45-42

Logan will beat San Leandro but it should be a decent game. Logan dominates with bigs on the block and has a good coach. 66-52

Cal High will beat down mount eden pretty good. Too much athleticism and shooting on that team regardless of it being at Mt Eden. Mt eden hasn't played a decent opponent in over a month and Cal high has very good guard play. 70-48

SRV beat Deer valley big already this year. Maybe they overlook DV after winning Ebal but I don't see anything here that says an upsets coming . 61-41

Dublin will beat Mission San Jose by 20 plus and turn around friday and lose by 20 plus to heritage two days later. Dublin's PG is an amazing player. 68-48

Castro Valley is too quick and skilled to lose to liberty but that second round matchup with Cal high is going to be juicy on friday. 75-49

Good analysis ... after the first round, there will be a series of good games, and no gimmes.

And remember, in two years, Miramonte will move to D1, and O'Dowd the year after.

American just had a great win over Newark but C-LET waits in the second round for the winner so goodnight. I'll go American here. 45-42

Logan will beat San Leandro but it should be a decent game. Logan dominates with bigs on the block and has a good coach. 66-52

Cal High will beat down mount eden pretty good. Too much athleticism and shooting on that team regardless of it being at Mt Eden. Mt eden hasn't played a decent opponent in over a month and Cal high has very good guard play. 70-48

SRV beat Deer valley big already this year. Maybe they overlook DV after winning Ebal but I don't see anything here that says an upsets coming . 61-41

Dublin will beat Mission San Jose by 20 plus and turn around friday and lose by 20 plus to heritage two days later. Dublin's PG is an amazing player. 68-48

Castro Valley is too quick and skilled to lose to liberty but that second round matchup with Cal high is going to be juicy on friday. 75-49

I agree with just about everything you said. It's hard to believe however that Dublin will lose a playoff game to Heritage by 20 plus. But that's why they play the game.

I do agree that the Las Vegas odds makers have Carondelet and Heritage penciled into the championship. But neither should think they are so good that they can just throw their uniforms onto the court and beat quality teams, which I think they both will play, each game if they continue to win after the first round.

You are right. Anything can happen and that is why I love basketball. I just don't see anyone beating C-Let this year. Way to big and way to disciplined to drop a game in this bracket. Maybe once O dowd and MM join the dominance will stop and parity will begin. Heritage has the best shot at it this year by far but a long shot.

True. But Carondelet doesn't strike the same level of fear and intimidation over everyone like a Mitty, SMS, or Pinewood. And it would be great if Odowd and MM were in the same division and/ or league as Carondelet. That way they would be forced to get better and/ or good enough to better prepare themselves to win a game in the open division. Instead of just being a big tastey sacrificial lamb each year. Hopefully the tougher schedule has them better prepared this post season. But it really takes both the players and the coaches having an awesome day at the office on the same day. Because they are both factors. The teams that have been winning state championships and open division games tend to have their players and coaches having a good day at the office in the same games. Or one or the other (coaches or the players) have to have a good enough day to make up for the others poor day. Courage, trust, accountability, unselfish, and confidence are a few of the keys.

The same thing applies to the NCS. Just the level of competition is not as high. But the teams that have things clicking across the board will be most successful. And we can't crown a champion in the Open Division, NCS, or any other post season tournament until the games are played. Best of luck to all post season teams.

Last edited:
Dublin is a legit 7 seed. Bottom half is loaded

Dublin is poorly coached and plays out of control for my liking. Cal was better and out coached Dublin all game long. In an up and down game, Dublin is dangerous but when the game becomes a half court execution game, they only have one girl on the team that likes to and is willing to play defense and that's #4.

The received wisdom is that postseason requires more discipline and the ability to execute in the half-court ...

But that said, there's no substitute for talent ...

Dublin is poorly coached and plays out of control for my liking. Cal was better and out coached Dublin all game long. In an up and down game, Dublin is dangerous but when the game becomes a half court execution game, they only have one girl on the team that likes to and is willing to play defense and that's #4.

I won't knock Dublin's coach other than to say some are most definitely better than others. And that leadership and coaching absolutely matters. Coaches prepare the players and the team. They decide who will start and the rotations. Some even put together game plans based on each separate team they will be playing. While some (like Phil Jackson relies on the system only, and having the best players and the team prepared to play before the game starts) and won't do any coaching or make any adjustments during the game. Others like Gregg Popovich not only makes sure his players are prepared to play before the game, but also actually coaches during the game as well. Give me Gregg Popovich over Phil Jackson. Even though Phil (has more championships) and is smart enough to seek out the best players in the league and ride out the success then move on when the work has to be put in. A player's coach over a Bobby Knight kick the players in the ass, big boss, super ego coach. One who often times blames the players instead of being mutually responsible for wins and losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalScout
That is true but Dublin did split the season series with them. #4 on Dublin works really hard. They run into a lot of issues because they are only 4 (maybe 5 if I am being nice) deep on their roster. But those 4 to 5 girls can play. Tough league. We will see where the EBAL winds up after friday.

That is true but Dublin did split the season series with them. #4 on Dublin works really hard. They run into a lot of issues because they are only 4 (maybe 5 if I am being nice) deep on their roster. But those 4 to 5 girls can play. Tough league. We will see where the EBAL winds up after friday.

Good points LBJ6. Fatigue can become a factor as does foul trouble when your team isn't very deep. So it's not always the coach's fault. Sometimes the refs call the games tighter. And let hard fouls go but call the petty ones. So it gets hard to adjust to the flow of the game. And if you have very little bench you're somewhat handcuffed.

Agreed, they aren't very deep at all.

Wow, I just realized that perennial power Berkeley was just 8-14 this year and 2-8 in league. Weird not seeing them in the D1 bracket. When was the last time they didn't even make the playoffs???

Mt. Eden knocked off Cal 39-35. Guess home court does matter. SRV over DV 82-52. Other D1 scores?

Friday’s 2nd round pairings are set:

9) American @ 1) Carondelet
7) Dublin @ 2) Heritage
11) Mt. Eden @ 3) CV
12) SL @ 4) SRV

So looking at Norcals, does that mean Dublin will get in win/lose because the winner of D1 will go open?

I won't knock Dublin's coach other than to say some are most definitely better than others. And that leadership and coaching absolutely matters. Coaches prepare the players and the team. They decide who will start and the rotations. Some even put together game plans based on each separate team they will be playing. While some (like Phil Jackson relies on the system only, and having the best players and the team prepared to play before the game starts) and won't do any coaching or make any adjustments during the game. Others like Gregg Popovich not only makes sure his players are prepared to play before the game, but also actually coaches during the game as well. Give me Gregg Popovich over Phil Jackson. Even though Phil (has more championships) and is smart enough to seek out the best players in the league and ride out the success then move on when the work has to be put in. A player's coach over a Bobby Knight kick the players in the ass, big boss, super ego coach. One who often times blames the players instead of being mutually responsible for wins and losses.
I'm sure if he took time to read "win anyway" he would have got it done..

You must not have watched too many Dublin games. She's always in foul trouble, doesn't get back on D, limited help defense (not really her fault..not too many on that team help) but man can she anticipate where the ball is going and steal like no other; AND always wants the ball in her hands. Can't teach that! But to your point, the dublin coach isn't the greatest, but I'm sure there's worst out there...

I'm sure if he took time to read "win anyway" he would have got it done..

Some times you make a lot of sense ! Because the Win Anyway philosophy is perhaps the best ever created. It keeps the driver of it in the driver's seat while ignoring the distractions from the outside or opponents around them. All that scared playing and scared coaching would never be accepted when using the Win Anyway philosophy. I always say if it's not life threatening why fear it. Basketball is just a game. Not a war game where someone is gonna die. So taking the aggressive and courageous approach is the obvious choice to some of us. At least those who buy into that type of philosophy. Of course the timid won't and that is to be expected. Probably explains why they never exceed expectations. It doesn't matter if you're playing a team that's hyped up as better than you are. You make them prove it. You don't cower down to any player or any team because of hype and press clippings. Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles if it works. Nothing works every time. But you should play the game courageously and to win every time. IMO and many others, It's better to play to win than to play scared and not to lose.You win and lose leaving it all on the playing surface with no regrets. Congratulations to all who move on to the next round.

P.S. I never once knocked the Dublin coach or any other coach for that matter. I typically just state facts or give opinions based on my personal views and my personal experience. IMO some coaches clearly are better than some others. Some recognize and develop talent. Others look at size of body, not size of heart, IQ, skill, experience, and playmaking ability. Some get in, some get out of the way of team, individual, and personal success. And they all have good and bad days at the office. And like me, and everyone else in the world regardless to the field, status, or profession, neither are perfect or always right.

Congratulations to all who move forward.

Last edited:
Mt. Eden knocked off Cal 39-35. Guess home court does matter. SRV over DV 82-52. Other D1 scores?

I guess the home girl Destiny Jackson must have been in attack mode? And I guess my question above " Do Mt. Eden or Liberty have a chance at an upset?"was answered.

39-35 sounds like either an off shooting night for both and/ or a defensive battle.

Last edited:
Interesting that the only "upsets" were in the D1 bracket ...

Give the coach credit -- Mt. Eden traveled to Las Vegas and went 1-3. Played Elk Grove, Eastside College Prep, Campolindo and really the best schedule they could while still maintaining confidence. Cal High did play in a tough bracket in the Jamboree, but must have felt the EBAL would be good enough to get them ready for postseason.

But the West County Shoreline was pretty good too, as San Leandro stunned James Logan. San Leandro traveled for a tournament, and though they didn't schedule as aggressively as Mt. Eden, they played three games against EBAL teams and Oakland Tech. James Logan played in a good bracket in the Jamboree but otherwise counted on the MVAL to get them ready -- and the MVAL was 3-3 in NCS games, with Newark only winning by two.

Then again, I've never been convinced that games in December do that much for you in February -- though playing good teams does make it clear what players and coaches need to work on.

LBJ6: Just curious. Did Dublin win by 20?

I've been to a lot of EBAL games this season. Probably more Dublin games than any other teams, because my daughter will be a freshman their next year.

I was in attendance last night for the Mission SJ game and must say it was a lot closer than expected. I'm not sure if that was because of the lopsided officiating (foul count 40-12), poor coaching or immaturity and uncontrollable players.

Starting from the tip the lady official seemed to have it out for the Finau Sister's and they weren't helping their case collecting frustration fouls along the way. This happens often for the younger Finau, throughout the season she doesn't seem to be able to channel her emotions and just play the game. She always ends up in foul trouble. With a coach and staff that lacks experience and knowledge for the game it's looks like chaos when things aren't going their way.

Last night was another showing of that. Dublin is a good team if coached, with a stud like Lesila Finau the ceiling should be high. But when the games get tough she doesn't have the horses in place to run with her. Last night you had players talking to referees. Which in my opinion should never happen. That is the coaches responsibility. Player's play, coaches coach.

The two bright spots of last nights win was very surprising. One came from the freshman Kendra Grant (Season high 26pts). I think Dublin got lucky found another stud to try and replace Lesila. With no Grant, Dublin is without a doubt at home with California, Amador Valley and Livermore. Second came with both sisters fouling out of the game with about 3 minutes left, the reserves for Dublin came together to win the game. Thanks to a few free throws by Isi Fidal.

Next up a tough Heritage team very well coached by Coach Rob. Hopefully Dublin can build off the end game unity and compete.

Well said @cashmeout247!

40/12 foul count? It’s obvious that the refs were biased or completely inept. Playoffs should be refereed by qualified and experienced professionals and not amateurs.

BTW, Fadal is a starting point guard I believe. I’ve seen her play a few games and she is pretty skilled.

I've been to a lot of EBAL games this season. Probably more Dublin games than any other teams, because my daughter will be a freshman their next year.

I was in attendance last night for the Mission SJ game and must say it was a lot closer than expected. I'm not sure if that was because of the lopsided officiating (foul count 40-12), poor coaching or immaturity and uncontrollable players.

Starting from the tip the lady official seemed to have it out for the Finau Sister's and they weren't helping their case collecting frustration fouls along the way. This happens often for the younger Finau, throughout the season she doesn't seem to be able to channel her emotions and just play the game. She always ends up in foul trouble. With a coach and staff that lacks experience and knowledge for the game it's looks like chaos when things aren't going their way.

Last night was another showing of that. Dublin is a good team if coached, with a stud like Lesila Finau the ceiling should be high. But when the games get tough she doesn't have the horses in place to run with her. Last night you had players talking to referees. Which in my opinion should never happen. That is the coaches responsibility. Player's play, coaches coach.

The two bright spots of last nights win was very surprising. One came from the freshman Kendra Grant (Season high 26pts). I think Dublin got lucky found another stud to try and replace Lesila. With no Grant, Dublin is without a doubt at home with California, Amador Valley and Livermore. Second came with both sisters fouling out of the game with about 3 minutes left, the reserves for Dublin came together to win the game. Thanks to a few free throws by Isi Fidal.

Next up a tough Heritage team very well coached by Coach Rob. Hopefully Dublin can build off the end game unity and compete.

I've seen Dublin play quite a few times this season (my friends daughter plays on that team) and there is plenty of talent on that team. Their top 6 are solid, but The Final sisters are the engine that make that car move. They have a 6'2 kid on that team that moves pretty good but she has rarely seen any playing time in the games that I've seen (why isn't she being developed!). Also, a set of parents on that team also chirp in the coaches ear and because he's probably afraid of getting canned (like a lot of people along the 680 corridor), he obliges. From what I hear, they have a freshman class that's gonna be dynamite with 2-3 kids that will be immediate impact players. The cupboard will NOT be bare for a while in Dublin. Like you said, Fidal is a great player but not sure she has the developed IQ for point at this time. Grant is a complete stud that works her butt off and is a terror when rebounding. Last night she was 5/5 before she missed her first three point shot. The thing that will hurt dublin moving forward is their lack of size. But anything is possible if the Finau sisters are hitting shots.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT