ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico offers Augmon

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
New Mexico is the first offer for Woodside Priory/Peninsula Elite 2021 guard Aniyah Augmon.

Her sister, Leilani, is a 2019 prospect and is off to Cal State Bakersfield.

She is a telling example of the CCS competitive dilemma. A great public school soph somehow winds up at a very pricey parochial school (tuition close to $50,000 per year), diminishing the public school's prospects and elevating the private's. Had she remained at Silver Creek with her sister, also an outstanding player, SC might well have been the best CCS public school unit last season. It was not to be. Kids are certainly entitled to head to the school of their choice if they are able. But the CCS girls' hoops situation is so one-sided on the private/parochial side it has become ridiculous.

Augmon has picked up an offer from Hawaii.

And yes, it is a tough setup for publics especially in CCS.

She is a telling example of the CCS competitive dilemma. A great public school soph somehow winds up at a very pricey parochial school (tuition close to $50,000 per year), diminishing the public school's prospects and elevating the private's. Had she remained at Silver Creek with her sister, also an outstanding player, SC might well have been the best CCS public school unit last season. It was not to be. Kids are certainly entitled to head to the school of their choice if they are able. But the CCS girls' hoops situation is so one-sided on the private/parochial side it has become ridiculous.

Being the best public school in CCS holds no weight in the greater picture. Parents want their kids to be associated with winners and at a lot of private/independent/parochial schools, the academic are the same or a slight bit better but the sports programs are head over heels superior. When was the last time a public school from CCS was ever really in the hunt for a Norcal title? I'm a huge public school advocate and do hate how private schools have all the advantages. But at the end of the day, you gotta do whats best for your kid!

Being the best public school in CCS holds no weight in the greater picture. Parents want their kids to be associated with winners and at a lot of private/independent/parochial schools, the academic are the same or a slight bit better but the sports programs are head over heels superior. When was the last time a public school from CCS was ever really in the hunt for a Norcal title? I'm a huge public school advocate and do hate how private schools have all the advantages. But at the end of the day, you gotta do whats best for your kid!

The answer: 1988. That was the last time. It's bee awhile.

The answer: 1988. That was the last time. It's bee awhile.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure as Wilcox was good a few years and recently Aptos. But my point is most public schools (or many) aren't "competitive" in CCS as in other sections.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure as Wilcox was good a few years and recently Aptos. But my point is most public schools (or many) aren't "competitive" in CCS as in other sections.
colhenry is wrong... Lynbrook of San Jose was a NorCal runner up in D2 in 2013. They also made the inaugural CCS Open that year beating the top seed SHC. They lost to St Francis in the Open semi, and also in the NorCal Final.

colhenry is wrong... Lynbrook of San Jose was a NorCal runner up in D2 in 2013. They also made the inaugural CCS Open that year beating the top seed SHC. They lost to St Francis in the Open semi, and also in the NorCal Final.

Forgot about that 2013 Lynbrook unit. How realistic was its shot at a NorCal title? Perhaps reasonable. But still iffy in the big picture. No CCS public school has played for a CIF championship since 1988. With the new equity rules, that unfortunate statistic may come to an end at some point fairly soon. If the tiny OAL can win two titles in 2019, a CCS public should be able to break through as well. When? Heaven knows.

A major reason: No other section has two (or even one) outstanding private/parochial basketball leagues that suck the talent away from the local public schools in great gobs. The WCAL and the WBAL are dominant and they are unique in NorCal. No other NorCal section has this situation when it comes to basketball.

Forgot about that 2013 Lynbrook unit. How realistic was its shot at a NorCal title? Perhaps reasonable. But still iffy in the big picture. No CCS public school has played for a CIF championship since 1988. With the new equity rules, that unfortunate statistic may come to an end at some point fairly soon. If the tiny OAL can win two titles in 2019, a CCS public should be able to break through as well. When? Heaven knows.
Yea you're right. The CCS game as a 10 point affair but the NorCal title game was a blowout, but at least they were there at Arco. A breakthrough may happen under the new rules, but to what avail? It will surely be in a lower div making them the 40-50th best team in NorCal.. while the 1988 statistic might change, will the issue go away? Is this the point of competitive equity?

Yea you're right. The CCS game as a 10 point affair but the NorCal title game was a blowout, but at least they were there at Arco. A breakthrough may happen under the new rules, but to what avail? It will surely be in a lower div making them the 40-50th best team in NorCal.. while the 1988 statistic might change, will the issue go away? Is this the point of competitive equity?

Competitive equity does seek to level the playing field. It makes anything below Open and D1 seriously diminished. You could say D2 to D5 are the consolation brackets. Compounding the situation is the massive Southern Section which has more schools than all of NorCal's sections combined. That gigantic entity is really a separate state within a state. Many of its also-rans would compete very well in other sections, both north and south.

Competitive equity does seek to level the playing field. It makes anything below Open and D1 seriously diminished. You could say D2 to D5 are the consolation brackets. Compounding the situation is the massive Southern Section which has more schools than all of NorCal's sections combined. That gigantic entity is really a separate state within a state. Many of its also-rans would compete very well in other sections, both north and south.

Diminished in who's eyes? The fans? I could care less about public perception. For anyone that's ever gone through the state championship process knows that it's not easy and it's a great accomplishment that lasts a lifetime. Does a D2 NCAA national championship mean less or dimities because it's not D1?

Now I will admit, Oakland and Oakland Tech had an easier road having played D1 competition all year long. and for them to be seeded that low is just crazy-especially Oakland High. Take a look at this and see if you find it interesting. It's a list of teams by division if they had NO open and no competitive equity. The highlighted teams would be the frontrunners in each division. Do you like the open format or do you think it would be cool to go back to the older format?

DI: McClatchey, San Ramon, Central, Yosemitie, Silver Creek, Lincoln(SF), Monterey Trail, Oakland Tech, Oakland High, Wilcox,

DII: Mitty, C-Let, Presentation, Montgomery, Union Mine, Redwood, Lynbrook,

DIII: SMS, Sacramento, Miramonte, SI, BOD, Bradshaw, Aptos, Christian Brothers, Eureka, Fresno, Nevada Union, SSF, Selma, Placer,

DIV: Salesian, SJND, San Joaqin Memorial, Union Mine, Sacred Heart Prep, Marin Catholic, Seaside, West Campus, Lassen, Lick Wilmerding, West Valley, Willows,

DV: Pinewood, Menlo, East Side College Prep, Woodside Priory, St. Bernards, Western Sierra, Notre Dame, University, Rincon Valley Christian, Biggs, Cloverdale, Trinity, Caruthers, Woodland Christian, Mariposa County, Portola.

You make some very good points. Your lists D1 through D5 tend to emphasize the diminished nature of the new competitive equity system. By the way, you missed Sequoia, 25-5, in your D1 list. The Cherokees (oops, now Ravens) utterly crushed Silver Creek in the CCS finals and were markedly stronger than Lincoln (SF), Wilcox and Yosemite for sure. It is interesting that D1 in NorCal would be essentially an all-public arrangement using a strict enrollment-based setup. D2 through D5 would be hugely upgraded under the old setup. In the end, it doesn't matter. CIF is firmly committed to the equity model now: Open (best), D1 (next best) and so on down the line to D5 (weakest).

Well, case and point was 2 years ago when D1 Lowell was in the state championship game with an enrollment of over 2000. Personally I think the competitive equity model is very STUPID and only impacts the private schools in the lower divisions. Say you take the top 12 privates (bolded) and put them in the open division, it would create more equitable divisions across the board instead of having D1 teams playing for a state championship in D5, 4, or 3 divisions.

I personally liked the old OPEN division format and let the other teams fight it out based on enrollment. I didn't see the problem that needed to be "fixed" by comp Equity.

Other than ESP & Sierra Canyon were there any other school that won multiple state titles at a lower division in the old system? It seems to me that the fact that a different school was winning the state titles at D1-5 every year that the old system was working just fine.

And if you want to tweak the system slightly you could have made ESP(D5) and Sierra Canyon(D4) move up a division after B2B championships.

Diminished in who's eyes? The fans? I could care less about public perception. For anyone that's ever gone through the state championship process knows that it's not easy and it's a great accomplishment that lasts a lifetime. Does a D2 NCAA national championship mean less or dimities because it's not D1?

Now I will admit, Oakland and Oakland Tech had an easier road having played D1 competition all year long. and for them to be seeded that low is just crazy-especially Oakland High. Take a look at this and see if you find it interesting. It's a list of teams by division if they had NO open and no competitive equity. The highlighted teams would be the frontrunners in each division. Do you like the open format or do you think it would be cool to go back to the older format?

DI: McClatchey, San Ramon, Central, Yosemitie, Silver Creek, Lincoln(SF), Monterey Trail, Oakland Tech, Oakland High, Wilcox,

DII: Mitty, C-Let, Presentation, Montgomery, Union Mine, Redwood, Lynbrook,

DIII: SMS, Sacramento, Miramonte, SI, BOD, Bradshaw, Aptos, Christian Brothers, Eureka, Fresno, Nevada Union, SSF, Selma, Placer,

DIV: Salesian, SJND, San Joaqin Memorial, Union Mine, Sacred Heart Prep, Marin Catholic, Seaside, West Campus, Lassen, Lick Wilmerding, West Valley, Willows,

DV: Pinewood, Menlo, East Side College Prep, Woodside Priory, St. Bernards, Western Sierra, Notre Dame, University, Rincon Valley Christian, Biggs, Cloverdale, Trinity, Caruthers, Woodland Christian, Mariposa County, Portola.

old way is better...

and you forgot Antelope in D2(I think) SHC in D3 and CN in D4

Reactions: cptmycpa
Guys, let's not forget the big picture. You can get a much better education at the majority of these private schools. It's not just about basketball. If you had a choice to go to school at Silver Creek or Priory for your daughter what would you choose??????

I have personally had kids attend both (very good) public and private schools. Kids who are talented and self-motivated can achieve an excellent academic outcome in a public high school. Other kids can and will languish at a public school in many cases. And most publics just don't have the support systems to lift these kids up. Privates typically provide a better academic result for most of these (average) students. And most privates have financial aid for those in need, so no one should rule out private because of cost.

Guys, let's not forget the big picture. You can get a much better education at the majority of these private schools. It's not just about basketball. If you had a choice to go to school at Silver Creek or Priory for your daughter what would you choose??????[/QUOTE

You can get a much better education at a majority of these private schools? Lowell an Balboa (yes it's come a long way) have top education in the state and Lowell ranked nationally. Schools along the 680 corridor have just as good of an education and resources as many privates AND it's free. The resources available to these schools is beyond amazing.

Having a good sports program boosts the pubic profile big time. If you look at the scores from kids going to BOD, they're equal and in some cases below public schools in the area, and even in their back yard in Oakland Tech. But don't tell the public that....people think that BOD is a west coast Phillips Exeter. Look at Duke...before Coach K got there they were just a good private school in North Carolina. Fast Froward 30-40 years and fast forward 5 national champions. Now they have national level teams in multiple sports AND the academic reputation is now a tier 1 school.

If they want competitive equity, they should do what they do in horse racing. Create a handycap scale and make the better team wear jackets with extra weight in them. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT