ADVERTISEMENT

Newman blanks Casa 2-0

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Big win for Newman on a gem of a pitching performance by jr sean flowers. He has now blanked Oak Ridge and Casa Grande. Casa had a 21 game league win streak going into this game. Last time the lost was early April 2017 to Ukiah. I think it will be a 2 team race with Casa as favorites followed by Newman.

Reactions: calm62
Give DeBenedetti a few more years and I see Newman perennially at the top of the league.

Agree. Kids want to play for him. He did some amazing things at MC without the tools he has at newman.

Another big win for Newman beating a good top 20 ranked College Park team 6-4. CP has wins over Serra, Freedom, and Heritage amongst others. Newman will be a very tough out down the stretch as playoff season is around the corner.

Don't rule Carrillo out quite yet. They roughed up Flowers pretty good last week, which is why Newman is currently looking up at them in the standings. Carrillo is not stacked with the kind of talent they had the past few seasons, but new coach Sammy Bruno has them playing smart and playing hard. Also don't rule out another well-coached team, Rancho. With the recent coaching change, there likely won't be so much homegrown talent carpooling to Analy, so Rancho should reclaim its place as one of the better programs in the county, however, they need to do some facility upgrades. Big game between them and Carrillo this week.

Too bad this is the last season of the current NBL. It's been a very competitive league the past few seasons, with Casa and Carrillo see-sawing for dominance, with Ukiah, Newman, Rancho, and even Monty joining in the struggle. I'm afraid that the new league is not going to be nearly as good without Casa Grande, while the new league that Casa and Petaluma joins should be very good indeed, at least for baseball.

Reactions: bella123
Welp, Newman lost to Windsor(?!) today while Carrillo was beating Casa. Those two are tied for first in the NBL. With only 3 league games left, Newman is apparently now relegated to the spoiler role, as they have another game left against each of the top two teams.

(..though they'll make postseason for sure)

Quaffer looks like Maria Carillo has something to say about NBL champ. Good call. With only a few games left they are 1/2 game behind first place Casa Grande. Casa sits at 10-2 and MC at 9-2 but MC just knocked off CG 5-2 last week. Newman had a rough week losing to both Casa and Windsor. Looks like a 2 game race heading down last week of season with Newman and Rancho playing for 3rd.

Carrillo beats Casa 4-2 for NBL Tourney champ. Not sure there is a hotter team than MC. 16-2 since April 1st. NCS D2 is going to be loaded.. Alameda, MC, Casa, Rancho, Acalanes, Petaluma..... Wow.

I didn't realize Newman is playing D3 NCS this year. I thought they were D2. They should have a good run in lower bracket.

Carrillo beats Casa 4-2 for NBL Tourney champ. Not sure there is a hotter team than MC. 16-2 since April 1st. NCS D2 is going to be loaded.. Alameda, MC, Casa, Rancho, Acalanes, Petaluma..... Wow.

I didn't realize Newman is playing D3 NCS this year. I thought they were D2. They should have a good run in lower bracket.

They have not made NCS since 2015 so that might have factored into it. By enrollment I believe they are D4.

Kinda funny to see Carrillo get #2 seed this year. Over the past 4 years they were never seeded higher than 4, despite being (IMHO) more talented. I think the NBL is down this year. It's probably a natural cycle considering the fact that the league's last 2 players of the year are currently #1 (Casa) and #2 (Maria) in the nation for home runs in D1, and the 3rd POY (Maria) is having an a great year as a 2 way player in the Big West and will no doubt be drafted for the 2nd time in a few weeks.

Last edited:
The good thing is Newman, Casa, and MC all played good schedules this year and each team has some impressive wins and close games against great comp. Newman beat Oak Ridge, Tracy, and College Park. All 3 teams are on paper better than anybody they should see in D3. Casa has seen St Francis and win over St mary's of Stockton, 2 of the best programs in Norcal. MC started off slow but has been on fire as of late. Bummer though MC and Casa look like they could meet in the Semi's. Newman lost a close non league game to #1 seed Alameda and both Casa and MC have seen tougher opponents. I think the champ of D2 will come out of the NBL. It's not like Rancho is chop liver either.

Crazy stat about Andrew Vaughn (CAL) and Spencer Torkleson. (ASU).

I hope you're right about NBL teams taking D2 but you never know. Baseball is not like FB and basketball. If a pitcher gets hot - game over. A #16 can beat a #1.

Those two guys are both former teammates of my son. I'm not saying that's why they are so successful, but you never know... o_O;)o_O

Wow. Unbelievable. Everyone in Sonoma County is proud of those kids.

With Vaughn leading the team I thought Cal had enough pitching to compete for the conference title this year, but I was wrong, and Stanford, UCLA, and OSU are just too stacked. Maybe next year. ASU also needs to do better at drafting pitchers if they want back in the mix.

I'm really happy for Clayton Andrews, but it's too bad that he didn't leave juco and play for LBS last year, as they had a great team but they were missing a CF, and might well have gone to Omaha if he was there. Next year will be too late, as he's likely to be drafted and signed.

Very disappointing loss for Newman considering some of the teams they knocked off this season. Congrats to Justin because that is a pretty big upset. Hopefully Casa and MC perform better in D2 today.

NBL did well in D2 yesterday. Casa, MC, and RC all advance. Its a shame that they are all in the same side of the bracket though. So now you have a quarterfinal with MC and RC facing each other. So it looks like you will have a semi final repeat of the NBL champ with MC and Casa facing each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT