ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Finals! Pick the winners!

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
I'll be at Santa Clara Saturday, but I might as well chime in on all the divisions:

Open
Woodcreek v. Sheldon, Round 2! The first game two weeks ago looked like it might be a disappointment, with too many fouls called affecting the pace of the game badly and putting Brown on the bench for long intervals. However, things changed bigtime when Brown returned to action with 2 minutes left in the 3rd period despite having 4 fouls (two, maybe three, were completely bogus calls). The game picked up speed and the refs let the players play. And play they did! Brown was a beast inside, and Sheldon countered by cranking up their famous pressure D and hitting more shots. In other words, both teams stepped it up!

I'll go with Woodcreek to repeat, this time 70-67.

Div. 1:
Paly v. Logan. Both teams on a roll right now, and very similar records and schedule strength. Logan's big man may be the difference, but I'll go against my own "logic" and take Paly to continue its bracket-busting ways, 60-58

Div. 2:
St. Francis v. Moreau. These two love the running-game and would like to get ino the 80's or 90's. Just might happen, too. Interestingly, I saw the St. Francis-Paly game back in December, one of the better games of the year, and here they are in the Finals of two different divisions. Anyway... I'll pick Moreau to pull the slight upset on the road. Let's try 88-82 for a score. :)

Div. 3:
Mission v. Vanden. I saw Mission when they beat Central Catholic in double-OT at the Piedmont Showcase in January. At the time, I thought "pretty good, but not great"... But they just keep on winning... I saw Vanden beat St. Francis impressively at the El Cerrito tournament and their OT loss to Sheldon. My eyeballs say Vanden, but Mission just finds a way. The Bears need to avoid a showing like in their only loss (52-31 to Monte Vista, who Vanden beat by 5), and if they do they sure have a shot... But I'll go with Vanden here, 67-59.

Div. 4:
We finally get to a team I haven't play this year, Palma. They host an athletic St. Pat's squad. Palma split 2 games just 4 days apart (and apparently both at home) with HMB, and St. Pat's went to HMB and won by 12. They also both beat Piedmont, but St. Pat's won quite a bit more easily.

Gotta go with St. Pat's in this one... 66-55.

Div. 5:
Whaddayknow... here's another team I haven't seen, St. Francis of Watsonville. Never even *heard* of this school till late last season... So, I have to go with common opponents... St. F beat Argonaut 69-62, and Elliot blew them out 83-53 in the Sac section finals, a game I saw. Watching that game, my thoughts were "That's a state title team!". I'll stick with that even though it's at the other guys' place... Elliot 73-60.

Last edited:
Reactions: sid98765
Open
Woodcreek over. Sheldon in a very good game.

Div. 1:
Paly over Logan in a close one.

Div. 2:
St. Francis over Moreau in a close one.

Div. 3:
Vanden over Mission in a not so close one

Div. 4:
Palma upsets SPSV - game is at Palma. SPSV defeated HMB by 12, but first time Palma played HMB at home Palma won 22 pts at W 70-48, and Palma lost by two at the Santa Cruz tournament at neutral site.. Palma plays really good at home. Believe they are 36 and 0 at home over the last 36 games. Still would say SPSV will be favored but Palma does have big game experience being defending state finalist and norcal champ. Palma will have to have a good shooting night and play aggressive on the boards.

Div. 5:
St. Francis of Watsonville over Elliot

Looks like I'm picking 4 CCS teams to go to state. LOL, but most likely 1 or 2 will go. :)

Last edited:
I predict ccs gets shut out in finals .
Open Sheldon SJS
D1 Logan. NCS
D2. MC. NCS
D3 Vanden SJS
D4 SPSV. NCS
D5 ELLIOT SJS

Open Division: SJS v SJS
#1 Woodcreek 31-2

Biggest Win(s): Sheldon, DeLaSalle, Salesian, Dublin, Mitty
Notable loss: Harvard-Westlake
#2 Sheldon 30-3
Biggest Win(s): Bellarmine, Mitty (2), Harvard-Westlake (2)
Notable loss: San Joaquin Memorial

Division I: NCS v CCS
#3 James Logan 27-5

Biggest Win: Moreau Catholic
Notable loss: Mission-San Francisco
#9 Palo Alto 26-5
Biggest Win: Dublin
Notable loss(es): Los Gatos, Menlo-Atherton

Division II: NCS v CCS
#3 Moreau Catholic 24-9 at

Biggest Win(s): Bishop O'Dowd, Logan
Notable loss: Rancho Christian
#1 St. Francis-Mountain View 21-9
Biggest Win(s): Mitty, Palo Alto
Notable loss: Serra

Division III: SFS v SJS
#4 Mission-San Francisco 33-1 at

Biggest Win: Saint Ignatius
Notable loss: Monte Vista
#3 Vanden 30-3
Biggest Win: St. Francis
Notable loss: Fairfield

Division IV: NCS v CCS
#3 St. Patrick-St. Vincent 26-7 at

Biggest Win: Salesian
Notable loss: Lick-Wilmerding
#1 Palma 25-4
Biggest Win: Central Catholic
Notable loss: Half Moon Bay

Division V: SJS v CCS
#2 Elliot Christian 29-4 at

Biggest Win: West High
Notable loss: Lathrop
#1 St. Francis-Watsonville 28-2
Biggest Win: Bentley?
Notable loss: Ann Sobrato

I'll be out at Santa Clara on Saturday. Would be great to meet up with anyone else if you want. Curious to see the home/road splits from D2-D5.

Open: Woodcreek over Sheldon (Brown stays out of foul trouble and Woodcreek pulls away in the second half)

D1: Palo Alto over Logan (Paly is hot and has familiarity with the gym)

D2: Moreau Catholic over St. Francis (MC could have the best two players on the floor)

D3: Vanden over Mission (Love the story of Mission, but I think Shackelford has a big game and home court plays a big role)

D4: SPSV over Palma (Bruins have been among the top teams in NorCal all year. Have rebounded from section slip up)

D5: Elliot Christian over St. Francis (Like the shooting and balance of Elliot)

CCS vs NCS
INSIDE THE NUMBERS;

First of all these 2 sections rarely schedule pre-season games again each other. Also the 2 sections rarely play each other in tournament play. When it comes to the top 9 teams in each section there have been just a hand full of games played this season, with the majority of match ups coming in this North Cal regional tournament. There are three games Saturday between CCS and NCS.

#3 James Logan 27-5 vs #9 Palo Alto 26-5

#3 Moreau Catholic 24-9 at #1 St. Francis-Mountain View 21-9

#3 St. Patrick-St. Vincent 26-7 at #1 Palma 25-4

Also 3 games were played in the earlier rounds of this tournament between CCS and NCS:

St. Joseph 61 vs Mitty 67**

Heritage 53** vs Menlo-Atherton 46

Dublin 80 vs Palo Alto 83**

Of all the top teams in each section only Mitty of CCS played teams from NCS [I did not factor in teams ranked 10th and below in the sections]

Moreau 88 vs Mitty 96** (OT)

however Mitty and Menlo-Atherton played in 4 games against NCS teams of special notes;

Mitty 62 vs Castro Valley 74**

Menlo-Atherton 53 vs Mt. Eden 61**

Mitty 55** vs San Leandro 50

Menlo 49** vs Monte Vista 44

Open:
Woodcreek over Sheldon. Woodcreek proves they are the best team in NorCal once and for all, but it mostly comes down to how dominant Jordan Brown is going to be.

D1:
Logan over Palo Alto. Palo Alto is hot, but there is just something special about this year's Logan team, and I think they pull it off in a nailbiter.

D2:
St. Francis over Moreau Catholic. Logan Johnson will be the best player on the court, and St. Francis will also get some good performances from its other players as well. Moreau Catholic has talent in Walker and Milstead, but they lack the other things that make St. Francis a great team.

D3:
Mission over Vanden. I'm going with my heart on this one. Mission is playing for more than any other team in this tournament and that was evident in their huge win against a loaded SI team. On paper Vanden gets the edge, but there's a reason we play these games.

D4:
SPSV over Palma. I think Jamaree Bouyea from Palma is a special player, but SPSV just has too many horses in this one. I don't think Palma will be able to keep with them for 4 quarters.

D5:
Elliot Christian over St. Francis. I don't know too much about these teams, but it seems like Elliot Christian is the better team. However, I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: LoganHomer
Open- Sheldon by 10
D1- Logan in a squeaker
D2- Moreau. They're clicking and they'll have the best player
D3- Mission. Will be most fun game to watch
D4- SPSV. Will be a game for 1 half. Blowout in the second
D5- still know nothing about them

Open- Sheldon by 10
D1- Logan in a squeaker
D2- Moreau. They're clicking and they'll have the best player
D3- Mission. Will be most fun game to watch
D4- SPSV. Will be a game for 1 half. Blowout in the second
D5- still know nothing about them

I agree with all these predictions and I think Moreau has the two best players on their team honestly

I'll be out at Santa Clara on Saturday. Would be great to meet up with anyone else if you want.

I'll be there... Preferably several rows up (whatever gets my eyes rim-high) and close to center-court on the scorer's table side.

Due to my 18 years living up in Oregon, I haven't seen the inside of this arena since Jason Kidd v. Steve Nash... Looked around online for pics... I see they replaced that tentlike roof with something more... er, permanent-looking and have stadium seats now.

Last edited:
Hey wishing all the programs playing today great sportsmanship and good health. Play hard and play fair, you have accomplished a lot this season. Enjoy the Games!

Reactions: LoganHomer
:::: fans face ::::

It is freakin hot in this place!

Turn on the AC already!!!

I think NCS went 3-0 tonight however Palo Alto and St. Francis were no easy tasks.

How many times have a brother and sister been in the Norcal finals? Cameron Jones Palma and Haley Jones Mitty from what I understand? Mitty won and Palma lost otherwise a brother and sister in state.

I think NCS went 3-0 tonight however Palo Alto and St. Francis were no easy tasks.
They were 3-0. And the other game was a onslaught for St. Pats from the start. Brutally loss at home for the right to play in state finals. Was the only lopsided game

INSIDE THE NUMBERS;

Crazy that Mission beat the NorCal Division 1 champ then the next night lost to a team that didn't make the playoffs.

This is so true about Mission however Monte Vista is a great program that was missing a star player this season. The victory over Mission was probably due to the eye witness scouting a day earlier from the victory over Logan [this happen at the SI Holiday tournament].

Again, James Logan 5 losses this season came against 5 Outstanding NorCal teams;

Division II NCR Champ Moreau, Co-MVAL Champion. Each team [Moreau & Logan] won their league home game. I believe a great decision was made not to play an emotional game for the Automatic bid to NCS after league play but before NCS.

Division III NCR Champ Mission, the game against Logan was a War that might had effected Mission's play the next day in a tournament game that Mission loss [against Monte Vista].

Division IV NCR Champ SPSV, at a highly competitive DaLaSalle tournament that featured St. Joseph [tournament Champion], DeLaSalle, SPSV and Logan.

Also losses to the top 2 NCS Division I ranked teams most of the season DeLaSalle and Dublin. DeLaSalle loss to the NorCal Regional open Champion Woodcreek in the Semifinals. Dublin appears to had too many emotional War games late in the season. Personality I think thar was the reason for their performance against Palo Alto at home.

2/18/17 Dublin vs DeLaSalle - end of the season EBAL tournament
3/01/17 Dublin vs Logan-NCS Divsion I Semifinals
3/03/17 Dublin vs DeLaSalle - NCS Division I Finals
3/11/17 Dublin vs Palo Alto - Second Round of NCR

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT