ADVERTISEMENT

Oak Ridge 54 and Del Oro 42

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Excellent game. It was a 6 or 7 pt game late in the 4th before OR pulled away.
OR has some great youth in the pipeline.

Talked to Steve White this week for a story and just impressed with the program. Outside of Sara James, they haven't had big time talent come through but they get good players who fit what they want to do.

With St. Mary's-Stockton almost a lock for Open, Oak Ridge should start as the favorite in NorCal D1.

Probably so, but Berkeley always seems to over-perform in the playoffs. That historical tendency probably wouldn't affect the seeding though.

Saraya Smith that transferred from Oak Ridge to Ponderosa is a major talent!!!! I remember her from the JV team her freshman year at O.R. she should have been on varsity then.

6'0 Saraya Smith ran PG on Tuesday night against a talented Sac High team. She finished 10-12 FG (4-5 from Three) 6-7 FT, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 block shot for 30 points.

http://www.news10.net/videos/sports/2015/02/25/23982125/

The El Dorado Hills Cyclones (formed by Coaches Reggie Smith and Scott Drossos in 2007) to create an opportunity for EDH girls to develop into elite basketball players. Some of the girls are on the Oak Ridge varsity team. At least one played at Granite Bay (JBS 2016 team)

Reggie is 6 ft 11 and played in the NBA, with the Portland Trailblazers. Not sure if Dad will keep coaching but Saraya has a lot of AAU interest and is a highly recruited future college player.

So happy for them, I used to help coach her with Sac Sting and Showtime Hoops. Lol

Here's the EDH Cyclones last April.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcypDb2_TM&feature=youtu.be

Call me crazy but why would anybody transfer from such a talented program like Oak Ridge? I've been too a lot of games and seen many teams and coaches over the years. I watch OR play and say wow… They go 10 deep and everybody contributes. They end up with "W" in that column which is all that matters. Consistently win every year. OR is a better school academically than Ponderosa and has a better sports program. What am I missing.

I do not know the answer but the W is not all that matters! Agree on all other points about the program. From the outside it looks like a great program with a great feeder program and tremendous foundation of success.

IMO: In watching Saraya play I see the difference. Oak Ridge as stated earlier in posting "they get good players who fit what they want to do. " Pondersoa appears to be giving her some room to grow and make decisions that she may not have had the freedom to do in the system ran by Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge is a very good program, but Ponderosa seems to fit her better.

Not sure what "better academically" means. If you are a good student you can get a good education anywhere. It's called disipline, drive, and determination. Teachers are always willing to teach those who are willing to learn. Some schools may have more money and better frills, but the basics are the basics in education. Once you get those you can succed at any school.

I love how we "shop" kids around in today's world. My opinion and it goes on everywhere but this looks like a clear case to me. As for academics its simple. Oak Ridge is ranked higher in virtually every academic category than Pondorosa. Pondo is a good school as well. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't influence your decision. Not like I sent my kid to Jesuit because the alternative was Encina.

Watch UK play. They go 10 deep and national player of the year candidate averages 10 pts a game. Its all about the "W"

Since we don't know the reason for the transfer everything is speculation. All this judgement of families and their decisons, I don't get it. This started from a comment that she is playing very well for Ponderosa and it went to kids being shopped around....
UK is making millions of dollars off their athletes, so Yes it is about the"W". High school "athletics" is about develompent and growth. I think maybe I am missing your point

bhillary your absolutely right and regarding Oak Ridge and Steve White I bet if the Larry Legend and the guy from the Sacramento Bee asks Steve real nice he would let you hold his clip board. Oak Ridge groupies make me laugh!!! When they can beat St. Mary's and some of the good Southern California Teams consistently I will be impressed.

Speculation…. 2+2 = 4. Go get your stats. Its all about "ME". This is what generation we play in. One thing I read on the OR gym floor is state champs. Both boys and girls.

OR groupie? ha ha. Yeah you got me moron.

When they can beat St Mary's -Cmon who in the heck in all of California has done that in the past 10 years and last I looked Oak Ridge is one of the few teams in Nor Cal who go to Southern Cal to play in tournaments-they have won more than their fair share including against Brea and Poly
Coach White has built an exceptional program at Oak Ridge

The question is does Oak Ridge win against McClatchy with a Health Lee back in action. I think McClatchy wins because the are to big inside for Oak Ridge and they defend the 3 point line very well. Lee makes a big in McClatchy a big difference when she is in the line up because then Garcia back to the PF and Cruz to the SF both of their natural position. Lee only play 11 games this year because of injury but if she was health this year McClatchy might have been 27-1 with its only lost to Salesian.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT