ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland Tech forfeits six non-league wins

Alexis Gray-Lawson, the AD, does not look good in this -- but it will have little impact on Tech, I think. Presumably they win the Section title, and the NorCal committee will most likely use the actual game results as a guide to Tech's divisional placement.

One unknown, however, is who the player is and whether Gray-Lawson has submitted the paperwork so she can be eligible from here on out. Regardless, it would be a travesty if Tech were dropped to a low division in NorCals because of the forfeits.

Reactions: ayalar09
Alexis Gray-Lawson, the AD, does not look good in this -- but it will have little impact on Tech, I think. Presumably they win the Section title, and the NorCal committee will most likely use the actual game results as a guide to Tech's divisional placement.

One unknown, however, is who the player is and whether Gray-Lawson has submitted the paperwork so she can be eligible from here on out. Regardless, it would be a travesty if Tech were dropped to a low division in NorCals because of the forfeits.
article says she is now eligible

Haha...smartest AD /coach in the seeding game... every year we all wonder how they get seeded so low by the CIF as they cruise to state titles. Ive always joked that someone at OT obviously had some kind of Kompromat on someone on the seeding committee for OT to get such favorable (a level or 2 below where they should be) seedings for so many years in a row now.

and this?

Just in time to be used to drop OT to D5 in Norcals and win another state title.

Win D4, D3 and D1 state?...and now get dropped into D5 after winning their sad section.

Smart!

The OAL is not really a CIF section, it's barely an actual league, it's more a haphazard state of mind locked in a bizarre time capsule dating back to the 1930s.
You have no idea what your talking about, nor do you have a clue about what goes into the running of the OAL. You need to get your head out of the sand and open your eyes.

That's the problem, Poopy Person. Our eyes are wide open and we cannot fathom what's being presented by a mere shell of an organization that exists to serve administrators and other adult functionaries intent on retaining their political jobs in the face of CIF reality and common sense.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
That's the problem, Poopy Person. Our eyes are wide open and we cannot fathom what's being presented by a mere shell of an organization that exists to serve administrators and other adult functionaries intent on retaining their political jobs in the face of CIF reality and common sense.
You do realize that if the OAL was disbanded and got folded into either NCS or CCS that none of the schools in it would be able to continue offering sports due to travel and logistics costs right? Or do you not care about that because of the demographics of the student-athletes who play in the OAL?

Reactions: GBBall4L
You do realize that if the OAL was disbanded and got folded into either NCS or CCS that none of the schools in it would be able to continue offering sports due to travel and logistics costs right? Or do you not care about that because of the demographics of the student-athletes who play in the OAL?
That seems highly unlikely. The schools could easily fit within nearby leagues.

And look at Oakland Tech's schedule. They play all over. Oakland, Skyline, etc., have traveled extensively.

The OAL would be folded into the NCS and their financial issues would be part of the determination of the league they played in. If indeed logistics and travel costs were that much of an issue, then preseason and in-season games and travel would be severely limited already -- which is not the case.

The OAL's small size is, overall, extremely advantageous to its athletic programs' postseason success, though it could be argued that it is hurt in such sports as track.

But in terms of cost and efficiency, having a completely separate section structure for a limited number of schools and students seems to make little sense. (The same argument can of course be made for the San Francisco Section. Ideally, SF would go into the CCS, and the OAL into NCS, and there would be eight sections in CIF. The logic of this reform is pretty inescapable, but as mentioned, there are significant financial advantages to the administrators of those two sections to keep things as they are.)

Be careful what you ask for... them schools on highway 13 and 24 don't want castlemont coming their way with all that shucking and jiving
Exactly. The reason the OAL exists as its own section in the first place is due to racist and segregationist policies such as redlining. And now the same people who did it want to change the rules again to screw over the Oakland schools for their own benefit. It’s disgusting and sad.

Long live the OAL.

The OAL existed long before there was NCS, and in fact before Oakland had a significantly black population. It was an original Bay Area sports league back before WWII. It was not created out of racist politics -- it existed before any of the other leagues.

I did some further research: The OAL was founded in 1919. In 1916, the estimate was that 5,000 of the 235,000 resident of Oakland were black.

The process of redlining did not emerge until the 1930s.

The OAL can remain intact within the structure of NCS. There is no compelling reason to change it, but there are reasons to eliminate the Oakland Section in CIF, almost all of them financial.

So given that the OAL

*Was not created to marginalize blacks, or as a result of redlining; or
*Will result in additional logistical issues or expenses for the six schools; or
*Does not need to be a separate CIF section to survive as a league; and
*The Oakland Section's expenses are primarily for administrators whose jobs are duplicated in NCS

What justification is there for retaining a 20-school section when CCS, to name just one, has 143?

...or, for that matter, the gargantuan Southern Section which is stuffed to the gills with 550 schools...

Exactly. The reason the OAL exists as its own section in the first place is due to racist and segregationist policies such as redlining. And now the same people who did it want to change the rules again to screw over the Oakland schools for their own benefit. It’s disgusting and sad.

Long live the OAL.
Ah, yes, always the race card when facts and reality are inconvenient and fail to fit the demanded narrative. Sad.

Ah, yes, always the race card when facts and reality are inconvenient and fail to fit the demanded narrative. Sad.
Are you in Oakland Mr Colhenrylives? And outside of sports do you interact with Black Americans? I'm asking because I find a lot of non Blacks throw that "race card" phrase around a lot I'm curious how close you are to the Black American experience here in America? I can pretty much read that you aren't close at all but you can respond otherwise. I'll wait.

Are you in Oakland Mr Colhenrylives? And outside of sports do you interact with Black Americans? I'm asking because I find a lot of non Blacks throw that "race card" phrase around a lot I'm curious how close you are to the Black American experience here in America? I can pretty much read that you aren't close at all but you can respond otherwise. I'll wait.
I have black friends
my nephews are black
i am steph curry biggest fan
i eat at famous daves often

• Haha
Reactions: GBBall4L
OK. Relax. The OAL should not be a separate CIF section. It is a relic from another time, another era, another Bay Area. It has utterly nothing to do with perceived racism. That's just bogus. Tossing out that charge when all of the facts indicate otherwise is sad, misplaced and counter-productive. Let's not even get into the matter of the AAA as a separate CIF section.

OK. Relax. The OAL should not be a separate CIF section. It is a relic from another time, another era, another Bay Area. It has utterly nothing to do with perceived racism. That's just bogus. Tossing out that charge when all of the facts indicate otherwise is sad, misplaced and counter-productive. Let's not even get into the matter of the AAA as a separate CIF section.

Why not present the facts instead of insults?

I did some further research: The OAL was founded in 1919. In 1916, the estimate was that 5,000 of the 235,000 resident of Oakland were black.

The process of redlining did not emerge until the 1930s.

The OAL can remain intact within the structure of NCS. There is no compelling reason to change it, but there are reasons to eliminate the Oakland Section in CIF, almost all of them financial.

So given that the OAL

*Was not created to marginalize blacks, or as a result of redlining; or
*Will result in additional logistical issues or expenses for the six schools; or
*Does not need to be a separate CIF section to survive as a league; and
*The Oakland Section's expenses are primarily for administrators whose jobs are duplicated in NCS

What justification is there for retaining a 20-school section when CCS, to name just one, has 143?

Good research here. Quick question. As the demographics changed where did all the other non Black kids go as more Blacks came into the area? What schools did they attend. Redlining didn't begin until 1930s but neither did the FHA which subsidized housing for Whites only during this time. So although the OAL wasnt created to marginalize Blacks neither where the projects throughout America that actually housed White families before The creation of the FHA under the New Deal. But that is what they became when White Americans were allowed to purchase Subsidized housing (basically government handout) and Blacks weren't. Gotta understand the entire pieces of the puzzle. When Whites left those areas and moved to their new deal homes things changed. So there is a bigger picture Clay. It may not have been created for that purpose but again neither was project housing in America but that is what it became. This is not the race card this is factual.

Last edited:
Two things can be true. Racism is real, pervasive and Oakland has been negatively affected it by it for generations. Blacks there have been discriminated against, marginalized and categorized as long as I have lived in the East Bay -- which is a long time.

But all of that does not mean the Oakland Section makes sense. The OAL is a league that should remain, if its schools want it to, and that could happen if the Oakland Section was folded into NCS.

And perhaps this an old white guy perception, but I don't see the survival of the Oakland Section as a stand against the pernicious racism that is everywhere in the world. I don't see its survival as primarily a racial issue but more a profitable relic of the past for a set of administrators who take up salaries that could be better spent by Oakland schools on education and athletics.

Two things can be true. Racism is real, pervasive and Oakland has been negatively affected it by it for generations. Blacks there have been discriminated against, marginalized and categorized as long as I have lived in the East Bay -- which is a long time.

But all of that does not mean the Oakland Section makes sense. The OAL is a league that should remain, if its schools want it to, and that could happen if the Oakland Section was folded into NCS.

And perhaps this an old white guy perception, but I don't see the survival of the Oakland Section as a stand against the pernicious racism that is everywhere in the world. I don't see its survival as primarily a racial issue but more a profitable relic of the past for a set of administrators who take up salaries that could be better spent by Oakland schools on education and athletics.
good stuff old fella

I like how you articulated this Clay. The only reason I went in on it was because the other person used it to validate his Anti-Bl*ck micro aggressions. And I wanted to add further context. And me stating what I stated doesn't mean I'm anti-White at all. You didn't say that but I understand what folks with his mindset may feel. Good stuff.

That's it. Done. Tossing my white sheet into the dumpster. No more micro-aggressions. Heading to the DEI disciplinary office as we speak. Time for re-education, re-indoctrination, re-Inquisition.

That's it. Done. Tossing my white sheet into the dumpster. No more micro-aggressions. Heading to the DEI disciplinary office as we speak. Time for re-education, re-indoctrination, re-Inquisition.
Poor Colhenry, you got sent to the corner and no more speaking! So sad to see you go Colonel!

Not to worry. The good Sisters of The Perpetual Thought Police are waiting. They know how to fix a wayward student's heretical views. I should be as good as new before you can say, "Toe the line, bro, or public excommunication is going to be your punishment." Got the message. Penance awaits.

I'm definitely not a liberal so no need for all that. Just fairness and a complete understanding & that goes for both sides. But maybe you don't want that.

Why do you sound like someone that's still pissed they integrated sports with Blacks? Why you so bitter? I'll leave it alone now. But what every your energy is it is seeping out bigtime. More power to you.

Last edited:
I think we have all said our peace on this matter and the discussion has moved away from the original message which was about this year's Oakland Tech girls basketball team.

Reactions: CaliHoops23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT