ADVERTISEMENT

Odowd Guards 2018 at Pac 12 schools

Apr 6, 2009
Are they redshirting? Hardy and Gaskin.. Are they not ready for Pac 12 level yet? I see Salesian guard is starting at Georgetown and putting up.great numbers.. They all were dominant at hs level..

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents. Gaskin was not a Pac12 guard coming out of ODOWD. Lower level D1 prospect. More of a wing and at 6"2 you are a PG in college. Plus wasn't a great shooter. I thought UTAH was a stretch. The kid from Pleasant Valley HS- CHICO (Kremer) who is at UTAH has better upside if you ask me. He can really shoot it and has much better size. I didn't see this as a good fit for Gaskin. He has a great motor and maybe ends up a defensive priority player long term.
Hardy I think will be fine long term. Takes time to adjust but he has a lot of skill.

Akinjo is a totally different animal than these other 2. He was always the real deal.

Call me crazy but that felt like a Jab at a certain AAU program/trainer? Agree will LL, Akinjo was different. Proved it on EYBL circuit and I'm not suprised at his early success at G'town

Reactions: bones40
If James Akinjo was a couple inches taller, he would be considered a 1st round pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. That's how well I think he has played as a freshman. Akinjo will go pro no matter what, it's just very hard for a player under 6'2 to make it in the NBA. Akinjo is going to be an all-time great when all is said and done at Georgetown.

Gaskins is on a Utah team which he will eventually find minutes on. I just think right now all the Pac 12 teams think they have a shot. When Utah is eventually a 3-6 conference team, they will probably play Gaskins more IF he isn't redshirting.

Elijah Hardy is going to probably wait the longest because Washington has some really good guards there. He can pop that lineup eventually, but that is a NCAA Tournament team in the Huskies. Still a Freshman, gotta be patient!

No slight..I just watched the Utah and Washington and i didnt see them..Reason why i tuned in..Didnt know if they redshirted..All 3 kids great kids and players in HS..nothing there RJ

Reactions: treshon and RJ223
If James Akinjo was a couple inches taller, he would be considered a 1st round pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. That's how well I think he has played as a freshman. Akinjo will go pro no matter what, it's just very hard for a player under 6'2 to make it in the NBA. Akinjo is going to be an all-time great when all is said and done at Georgetown.

Gaskins is on a Utah team which he will eventually find minutes on. I just think right now all the Pac 12 teams think they have a shot. When Utah is eventually a 3-6 conference team, they will probably play Gaskins more IF he isn't redshirting.

Elijah Hardy is going to probably wait the longest because Washington has some really good guards there. He can pop that lineup eventually, but that is a NCAA Tournament team in the Huskies. Still a Freshman, gotta be patient!

I respect your take on this, and I’m not picking at you. But to say a kid WILL be a pro is ridiculous. Because many people on this board call kids pros like Jordan brown Or Malik Pope after his sophomore season at SDSU.

The truth is with injuries and bad decisions etc these kids are not pros until they get drafted. Josiah Turner is another example that everyone stamped a pro. I even read Jordan Ford. That would be great to see these kids make it. But inless you’re a lottery pick,
Go to school and get your degree. Buddy Hield is a perfect example

Akinjo just seems to have a work ethic, a motor, and a passion for basketball that some kids just can’t match. He isn’t the tallest or the most talented, but he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

I respect your take on this, and I’m not picking at you. But to say a kid WILL be a pro is ridiculous. Because many people on this board call kids pros like Jordan brown Or Malik Pope after his sophomore season at SDSU.

The truth is with injuries and bad decisions etc these kids are not pros until they get drafted. Josiah Turner is another example that everyone stamped a pro. I even read Jordan Ford. That would be great to see these kids make it. But inless you’re a lottery pick,
Go to school and get your degree. Buddy Hield is a perfect example

I think he chose the words correctly he said he will be a pro not necessarily an NBA player there is plenty of money to be made outside of the NBA overseas and in the G league now

I think he chose the words correctly he said he will be a pro not necessarily an NBA player there is plenty of money to be made outside of the NBA overseas and in the G league now

To me that’s not a pro. You play 3 seasons overseas in which case you make decent money, not life altering money. Or you play g league, maybe get called up and carry around the bags of some veterans and play minimal mins. NOW with that being said, I HAVE 0 ROOM TO SPEAK ON A PLAYERS DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS. Because I would rather do that then what I’m doing. My only objection would be get your degree, that’s why you practiced and trained so hard for. To get a scholarship (degree) -people tend to forget that. Then go do all those other things. Again, that’s what I would tell my child- but the decision is his/hers.

Reactions: OneDNA
Akinjo is a real nice player. Reminds me a little of CP3. Both about 6"1 with same build and athleticism. Very heady players who can shoot. Akinjo isn't a high flyer or uber quick but "athletic" enough. Not saying he's Chris Paul but to say he will be a pro isn't some crazy statement. I really like the way he plays the game. Sky is the limit for this kid. Jordan Ford is a much different player. Not sure there is a more "skilled" ball handler" and creator that I've seen come out of this area at his size. Is he an NBA pro? Patty Mills is in the league. I will leave it at that.

Josiah Turner was a head case from day 1. Just a mess. Can't even bring him into the question because these are high character people. It always starts between the ears.

There are no Jason Kidd players though. Unless you a starting at Duke.

To me that’s not a pro. You play 3 seasons overseas in which case you make decent money, not life altering money. Or you play g league, maybe get called up and carry around the bags of some veterans and play minimal mins. NOW with that being said, I HAVE 0 ROOM TO SPEAK ON A PLAYERS DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS. Because I would rather do that then what I’m doing. My only objection would be get your degree, that’s why you practiced and trained so hard for. To get a scholarship (degree) -people tend to forget that. Then go do all those other things. Again, that’s what I would tell my child- but the decision is his/hers.

Playing overseas is 100% a professional basketball player. And just because they aren’t making milllions doesn’t mean you can’t make a good living. A lot of teams (especially in China) pay upwards of 150-250 a year. Maybe to some that’s not a lot but to most that’s a good living

Reactions: frencheezy
Call me crazy but that felt like a Jab at a certain AAU program/trainer? Agree will LL, Akinjo was different. Proved it on EYBL circuit and I'm not suprised at his early success at G'town
It’s crazy to even to take JAB at that certain AAU program/trainer given the fact that AAU program/trainer has put kids in college for a few years now. Akinjo is a beast n continues to improve but hopefully all the kids from NorCal will have success like Akinjo

Seemed like a subtle jab from soldierinfo but was clarified. Personally I have nothing but respect for the certain AAU program/ trainer. I've seen them/him work and think he's good for NorCal/game . But c'mon .soldierinfo is obviously connected with another AAU program and knew the scoop before he posted. Cudos to both programs as they are getting kids scholarships and NorCal exposure. Respect to both and do what y'all do.

Reactions: treshon
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ketball-players-share-tales-really-play-china

See I can find articles that would support my arguments too...that’s the thing about the internet you can find almost anything on google to help support your claims. I’m not saying playing in every country is a great thing, but there are options to make a decent living depending on how good you are.

6 out of the 8 people mentioned in that story were either lottery picks or first rounders.

Akinjo needs time to figure out how to deal with long guards. He’s really struggled this year against the bigger, longer guards he’s played. Once/if that happens, he will be really fun to watch.

Akinjo needs time to figure out how to deal with long guards. He’s really struggled this year against the bigger, longer guards he’s played. Once/if that happens, he will be really fun to watch.

That basically determines whether a player is successful... whether they can be effective against longer players. You have to be able to shoot and have a counter for the shot and great vision. Look at Frankie Ferrari... super smart, great vision and shooter = success!

I think he will. Hell look at what he's doing in the big east. He's a highlight and big shot guy night in and out.

i give him credit for dreaming big and going to the big east... far too many norcal players are scared to leave the west. i hope he stays and doesnt end up at sfsu or east bay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT