ADVERTISEMENT

Final look at CIF State and Regional Bowl Divisions

Cal 14

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 12, 2001
Once again, congratulations to all of the CIF sectional/divisional champions. Also once again, I will start with a discussion, then move onto the two sets of potential games (one with Clovis North in NorCal and one with them in SoCal).

Clovis North - Yes, geographically, it makes more sense to have Clovis North in NorCal, but in terms of competitive equity, I feel the Broncos should be placed in SoCal.

Serra and Clovis North - Serra has wins over the NCS Open (DLS) and SJS D-I (Folsom) champs. Clovis North has a win over the CS D-II champ (Central Valley Christian) and JSerra out of the SS. CalHi has the Padres higher while Calpreps has nudged the Broncos higher. I think the overall resume will favor Serra for the NorCal Open bid (NorCal version).

Mission Viejo - Ultimately, I don't think it matters where Clovis North is placed as far as D-1AA is concerned. I don't see anyone beating the Diablos.

La Serna and St. Bonaventure - These teams are the SS D-4 and D-3 champs, respectively, however La Serna has the higher Calpreps rating. I think that unless these two are matched up (see SoCal version below), the SS will push for the Seraphs to be placed higher. They have a common opponent win (Warren) and I suspect the SS will try to keep divisional integrity to a certain degree, particularly since the Calpreps numbers are so close and the difference probably doesn't matter much.

McClymonds - The Warriors' Calpreps rating really took a massive hit due to their poor league and playoff structure. Although it stands at 26.2 at the moment, I think it would be more fair to only consider the four non-league games that really matter. In those games, they have an average rating of 34.2. I think that is a better representation of the team and I am guessing that the CIF is not going to want this team all the way down in D-4AA. Clovis North's presence in the NorCal roster pushes them down to D-3A, but I think that is just one of the examples of why the Broncos belong in the South. CalHi is projecting them to be in D-2A and while I do think they could be competitive there, it's only because the 2A and 3AA teams are so close. I see the CIF giving them a boost from their rating, but 12 points? I'm not so sure about that.

Orland, Miramonte, Palo Alto, and Colusa - If you were to combine the enrollments of Orland and Colusa, you still wouldn't reach that of Palo Alto. I think the CIF has generally disregarded this criterion as part of the discussion, but it still looks kind of bad. Could the Vikings be moved up in division to meet Miramonte? Yes, I could see that. In review of Colusa's schedule, a couple of their wins were not so different than those of Orland. But would the CIF want to pit the two NS teams together when there is an 8.3 gap? Would the NS want to see this take place to guarantee one of their teams in a state final? Would the NS want to risk the elimination of both teams if they don't do this? Could the CIF move Palo Alto up to face Orland and Miramonte down to play Colusa? I can see that, too. Is Colusa's 6.9 rating real? Miramonte just beat St. Bernard's by 22 and their final rating is 6.0.

El Cerrito and Marin Catholic - Yes, there is a divisional integrity aspect to placing El Cerrito higher. But deep down in the decimal places, Calpreps has them ahead, too. I decided to play along. In the SoCal version, it doesn't matter. The NCS could try to split the teams by suggesting McClymonds should be higher, but then you have the same philosophical questions as with the Northern Section teams. But, with identical ratings, who could deny the potential for competitive equity?

Birmingham and Simi Valley - Again, Calpreps has Birmingham ahead down the decimal line. Plus, I think the CIF would want to indicate a little respect to the LA City Section (deserved or undeserved). In the SoCal version, again/of course, it doesn't matter.

Ramona and Torrance - Here is another divisional integrity questions for two SS teams. Ramona won the D-11 title, while Torrance won D-10, but the Calpreps ratings are reversed (15.2 and 13.2, respectively). In this case, however, I can see the LA City Section protesting about moving Ramona down to face Banning (NorCal version). A Calpreps rating gap of 4.4 might be ok, but that would certainly be more desirable than 7.4. In the SoCal version (you guessed it), it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C. fan
Clovis North in NorCal version

Open Division (Section Division, Calpreps ratings)

North: Serra (CCS Open, 65.6) vs. South: Mater Dei (SS D-I, 99.2)

D-1AA

North: Clovis North (CS D-I, 66.4) vs. De La Salle (NCS Open, 56.0)

South: Mission Viejo (SS D-2, 69.7) vs. Granite Hills (SDS Open, 65.8)

D-1A

North: Folsom (SJS D-I, 60.6) vs. Rocklin (SJS D-II, 59.3)

South: La Serna (SS D-4, 51.9) vs. St. Bonaventure (SS D-3, 51.4)

D-2AA

North: Pittsburg (NCS D-1, 55.6) vs. Grant (SJS D-III, 48.1)

South: St. Augustine (SDS D-I, 46.1) vs. Orange Vista (SS D-5, 40.2)

D-2A

North: Los Gatos (CCS D-I, 48.0) vs. El Cerrito (NCS D-2, 38.4)

South: Central Valley Christian (CS D-II, 36.7) vs. Birmingham (LACS Open, 32.7)

D-3AA

North: Marin Catholic (NCS D-3, 38.4) vs. Escalon (SJS D-IV, 35.6)

South: Simi Valley (SS D-6, 32.7) vs. Del Norte (SDS D-II, 32.2)

D-3A

North: McClymonds (OAL, 26.2 [34.2]) vs. Soquel (CCS D-II, 31.7)

South: Mayfair (SS D-7, 27.1) vs. Mount Miguel (SDS D-IV, 21.8)

D-4AA

North: Casa Roble (SJS D-V, 30.2) vs. Acalanes (NCS D-4, 30.0)

South: Torres (CS D-IV, 19.7) vs. Jurupa Hills (SS D-8, 19.4)

D-4A

North: Pleasant Valley (NS D-II, 26.3) vs. Hughson (SJS D-VI, 23.2)

South: Rio Hondo Prep (SS D-9, 19.0) vs. Mission Oak (CS D-III, 18.7)

D-5AA

North: Palma (CCS D-III, 23.0) vs. Woodland Christian (SJS D-VII, 19.2)

South: La Jolla Country Day (SDS D-III, 15.8) vs. Ramona (SS D-11, 15.2)

D-5A

North: St. Vincent (NCS D-6, 18.8) vs. Orland (NS D-III, 15.2)

South: Torrance (SS D-10, 13.2) vs. Banning (LACS D-I, 7.8)

D-6AA

North: Miramonte (NCS D-5, 13.5) vs. Palo Alto (CCS D-IV, 11.1)

South: Cerritos (SS D-12, -1.4) vs. Holtville (SDS D-VAA, -2.3)

D-6A

North: Colusa (NS D-IV, 6.9) vs. Portola (NS D-V, -5.4)

South: Wasco (CS D-V, -2.9) vs. Sweetwater (SDS D-V, -5.3)

D-7AA

North: South San Francisco (CCS D-V, -4.7) vs. Ferndale (NCS D-VII, -5.3)

South: St. Monica (SS D-13, -8.8) vs. Fairfax (LACS D-II, -13.3)

D-7A

North: Lincoln (SFS, -9.4) vs. Strathmore (CS D-VI, -11.3)

South: Bell Gardens (SS D-14, -21.7) vs. Jordan (LACS D-III, -28.5)

Last edited:
Clovis North in SoCal version

Open Division (Section Division, Calpreps ratings)

North: Serra (CCS Open, 65.6) vs. South: Mater Dei (SS D-I, 99.2)

D-1AA

North: De La Salle (NCS Open, 56.0) vs. Folsom (SJS D-I, 60.6)

South: Mission Viejo (SS D-2, 69.7) vs. Clovis North (CS D-I, 66.4)

D-1A

North: Rocklin (SJS D-II, 59.3) vs. Pittsburg (NCS D-1, 55.6)

South: Granite Hills (SDS Open, 65.8) vs. St. Bonaventure (SS D-3, 51.4)

D-2AA

North: Grant (SJS D-III, 48.1) vs. Los Gatos (CCS D-I, 48.0)

South: La Serna (SS D-4, 51.9) vs. St. Augustine (SDS D-I, 46.1)

D-2A

North: El Cerrito (NCS D-2, 38.4) vs. Marin Catholic (NCS D-3, 38.4)

South: Orange Vista (SS D-5, 40.2) vs. Central Valley Christian (CS D-II, 36.7)

D-3AA

North: Escalon (SJS D-IV, 35.6) vs. McClymonds (OAL, 26.2 [34.2])

South: Birmingham (LACS Open, 32.7) vs. Simi Valley (SS D-6, 32.7)

D-3A

North: Soquel (CCS D-II, 31.7) vs. Casa Roble (SJS D-V, 30.2)

South: Del Norte (SDS D-II, 32.2) vs. Mayfair (SS D-7, 27.1)

D-4AA

North: Acalanes (NCS D-4, 30.0) vs. Pleasant Valley (NS D-II, 26.3)

South: Mount Miguel (SDS D-IV, 21.8) vs. Torres (CS D-IV, 19.7)

D-4A

North: Hughson (SJS D-VI, 23.2) vs. Palma (CCS D-III, 23.0)

South: Jurupa Hills (SS D-8, 19.4) vs. Rio Hondo Prep (SS D-9, 19.0)

D-5AA

North: Woodland Christian (SJS D-VII, 19.2) vs. St. Vincent (NCS D-6, 18.8)

South: Mission Oak (CS D-III, 18.7) vs. La Jolla Country Day (SDS D-III, 15.8)

D-5A

North: Orland (NS D-III, 15.2) vs. Miramonte (NCS D-5, 13.5)

South: Ramona (SS D-11, 15.2) vs. Torrance (SS D-10, 13.2)

D-6AA

North: Palo Alto (CCS D-IV, 11.1) vs. Colusa (NS D-IV, 6.9)

South: Banning (LACS D-I, 7.8) vs. Cerritos (SS D-12, -1.4)

D-6A

North: Wasco (CS D-V, -2.9) vs. South San Francisco (CCS D-V, -4.7)

South: Holtville (SDS D-VAA, -2.3) vs. Sweetwater (SDS D-V, -5.3)

D-7AA

North: Ferndale (NCS D-VII, -5.3) vs. Portola (NS D-V, -5.4)

South: St. Monica (SS D-13, -8.8) vs. Fairfax (LACS D-II, -13.3)

D-7A

North: Lincoln (SFS, -9.4) vs. Strathmore (CS D-VI, -11.3)

South: Bell Gardens (SS D-14, -21.7) vs. Jordan (LACS D-III, -28.5)

Last edited:
First, I really don't like Folsom being matched up with Rocklin in the NorCal version. And I suspect the SJS representative on the CIF committee will argue strongly against it. However, in a non-biased approach, there is no good way around this pairing. Putting Folsom ahead of DLS probably won't happen. But this would solve an inner-league matchup at the RBG level. With the SoCal version, this issue goes away. But I do think Clovis North is heading NorCal RBG.

Second, I agree with how you have handled Mack's CP rating. Most people, along with hopefully the CIF committee, are familiar enough with the CalPreps system to realize your assessment is correct. They may not approach it as systematic as you have, but they will realize they must edge Mack high than CP's reported level.

Third, the geographical argument for Clovis North being in NorCal is significant. Historically, the CIF committee has used their geographical criteria loosely. However, given the choice as you have outlined between NorCal and SoCal versions, it is a geographical choice between CN or Wasco, the clear choice is CN by around 100 miles. Central Valley Christian is in Visalia which is further north than Wasco. However, I have seen other schools head to SoCal that were much closer to NorCal. I would think CVC might be put in the NorCal instead of Wasco for the SoCal version. In fact, CVC is more northern than Strathmore.

Last edited:
First, I really don't like Folsom being matched up with Rocklin in the NorCal version. And I suspect the SJS representative on the CIF committee will argue strongly against it. However, in a non-biased approach, there is no good way around this pairing. Putting Folsom ahead of DLS probably won't happen. But this would solve an inner-league matchup at the RBG level. With the SoCal version, this issue goes away. But I do think Clovis North is heading NorCal RBG.

Second, I agree with how you have handled Mack's CP rating. Most people, along with hopefully the CIF committee, are familiar enough with the CalPreps system to realize your assessment is correct. They may not approach it as systematic as you have, but they will realize they must edge Mack high than CP's reported level.

Third, the geographical argument for Clovis North being in NorCal is significant. Historically, the CIF committee has used their geographical criteria loosely. However, given the choice as you have outlined between NorCal and SoCal versions, it is a geographical choice between CN or Wasco, the clear choice is CN by around 100 miles. Central Valley Christian is in Visalia which is further north than Wasco. However, I have seen other schools head to SoCal that were much closer to NorCal. I would think CVC might be put in the NorCal instead of Wasco for the SoCal version. In fact, CVC is more northern than Strathmore.
I would much rather see Folsom vs Rocklin than DLS vs Folsom for the umpteenth time. Rocklin vs Folsom will fill the stands and yeah it’s an SFL rematch but I can certainly tell you in these parts it’s of big interest and the gate receipts will be strong.
Not sure there is a team playing better football in norcal right now then the Thunder.

I would much rather see Folsom vs Rocklin than DLS vs Folsom for the umpteenth time. Rocklin vs Folsom will fill the stands and yeah it’s an SFL rematch but I can certainly tell you in these parts it’s of big interest and the gate receipts will be strong.
Not sure there is a team playing better football in norcal right now then the Thunder.
Well you are right about the local interest. However, this matchup assures at least one guaranteed loss for the SJS section at their highest levels.

Well you are right about the local interest. However, this matchup assures at least one guaranteed loss for the SJS section at their highest levels.
Cal-Hi plays up the "local interest" angle, but I'm not so sure that the CIF cares about that. We've seen plenty of times where schools from similar divisions cross paths to their respective games. If the whole point of the divisions are competitive equity, then it would seem this would go against that.

Reactions: RidgeRider

I think if it were really close, they might make that switch. But as recent as 2021, the SDS saw Helix and Mater Dei Catholic get matched up in a regional game. These were its D-I and D-III champs, so there is precedence there, too.

Either way, it appears Rocklin is facing an SJS team. Given that their rating is higher that even DLS, matching them with Grant doesn’t look good or fair.

Yes, and if you look at a common opponent between them and Marin Catholic (Bishop O'Dowd), you had similar results. I don't think there is much justification of putting them over either El Cerrito or the Wildcats.

Going exclusively geographically for the CS was my original model and intent. It wasn't until I saw the types of mismatches it created that I felt I had to adjust. There is a great deal of precedent for Bakersfield teams to be place in NorCal. In 2017, Chowchilla (which I think may be the most northern CS team) was placed in SoCal. In 2021, Bakersfield Liberty played with NorCal, while Bakersfield Independence and Central Valley Christian were with SoCal.

Putting CVC in NorCal creates massive mismatches.

Last edited:
I personally would rather see Folsom vs DLS. This could be the last time we see them match up for a while with Jesuit and Davis getting added to the SFL. The way I understand things is folsom will have 2 less non league games next season. It will be much tougher scheduling wise for DLS/Folsom to play next year and going forward.

Not to mention the two teams are pretty evenly matched and from different sections.

I personally would rather see Folsom vs DLS. This could be the last time we see them match up for a while with Jesuit and Davis getting added to the SFL. The way I understand things is folsom will have 2 less non league games next season. It will be much tougher scheduling wise for DLS/Folsom to play next year and going forward.

Not to mention the two teams are pretty evenly matched and from different sections.
I personally have DLS vs Folsom Fatigue…. Would much rather see PITT Vs Folsom or give Rocklin another crack at Folsom….

It’s too Bad the SFL is adding more teams…. That league already has enough teams…. if they want to add a team they should grant and drop Whitney….

I would much rather see Folsom continue to play a better non conference schedule like they have it has made things a lot more interesting…..

I personally have DLS vs Folsom Fatigue…. Would much rather see PITT Vs Folsom or give Rocklin another crack at Folsom….

It’s too Bad the SFL is adding more teams…. That league already has enough teams…. if they want to add a team they should grant and drop Whitney….

I would much rather see Folsom continue to play a better non conference schedule like they have it has made things a lot more interesting…..
Agreed. They didn’t need to add teams. Davis is good at most sports but their football team is going to get their doors blown off in the SFL. Jesuit is good at all sports so they will fit in but this just means weaker schedules and less fun matchups in all honesty. It’s a shame.

Agreed. They didn’t need to add teams. Davis is good at most sports but their football team is going to get their doors blown off in the SFL. Jesuit is good at all sports so they will fit in but this just means weaker schedules and less fun matchups in all honesty. It’s a shame.
Davis is SFL (football) may be worse move in history of that league. Most of the JV teams in SFL would beat their varsity.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Interesting that the CIF paired Pittsburg with Folsom and Rocklin with Grant.

Reactions: THEOC89
I just think people want to see good match ups. I don’t think anyone cares what section the teams are from as long as it’s a good and intriguing matchup.

I just think people want to see good match ups. I don’t think anyone cares what section the teams are from as long as it’s a good and intriguing matchup.
This is where my opinion has moved this year. I used to get annoyed by whether teams were slotted right in sections and then NorCals, etc. but after the regular season, it is such a crapshoot that can change year to year that any context have been taken away.

So give us the most fun matchups and the rest shakes out. That said, I think they could have probably made some better matchups too :)

Well, they set up the same one guaranteed loss thing with Grant Union v. Rocklin.

I'm fine with it. Wish they'd setup the section brackets that way, too.

Reactions: larry legend33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT