ADVERTISEMENT

O'dowd -Kennedy game Cancellation/Forfeit??

HSfan82

Sports Fanatic
Dec 10, 2013
Whats the ruling on this? The game was cancelled Thursday due to poor Air quality per NCS guidelines, yet MaxPreps has it as Forfeit win for Odowd. Just curious on the rule. Odowd likely was to blowout Kennedy so end result is same but "thats why you play the game"... Kennedy has to take an L for something out of their control and O'dowd goes into DLS having no game experience, sounds like a lose-lose situation for both schools.

Whats the ruling on this? The game was cancelled Thursday due to poor Air quality per NCS guidelines, yet MaxPreps has it as Forfeit win for Odowd. Just curious on the rule. Odowd likely was to blowout Kennedy so end result is same but "thats why you play the game"... Kennedy has to take an L for something out of their control and O'dowd goes into DLS having no game experience, sounds like a lose-lose situation for both schools.

As I understood it O'Dowd offered to reschedule the game for Saturday, the next day. But the Coach from Kennedy declined stating that he would be unable to get enough players suited up for the game, hence the forfeit.

As I understood it O'Dowd offered to reschedule the game for Saturday, the next day. But the Coach from Kennedy declined stating that he would be unable to get enough players suited up for the game, hence the forfeit.

Because the game had been scheduled for a Thursday and school wasn’t set to start for another week, the Kennedy coach gave the team Friday off and announced a 3 day weekend. Thus, many families had already made plans to go out of town. I forget the numbers but something like 1/3 of the team was going to be unavailable if they tried to move it to Friday. Now I’m sure a number of those families would have just cancelled this vacation plans had the game been rescheduled, but that’s what the coach was facing.

So, the powers that be stated that if the air quality index was acceptable (below 150) on Friday when BOD had proposed to the rescheduled game, then it would be ruled a forfeit. If the index was 150 or above, it would be officially cancelled and no game. So if it has been ruled a forfeit, then the air quality index must have come down from Thursday’s number to an acceptable figure.

Reactions: concrete17
Thanks O-b22 for the clarification.

Does your eloquence make you my Sarah Huckabee Sanders, ....de-tweeting utterances into semi-intelligible explanations.:p
Thank you

Because the game had been scheduled for a Thursday and school wasn’t set to start for another week, the Kennedy coach gave the team Friday off and announced a 3 day weekend. Thus, many families had already made plans to go out of town. I forget the numbers but something like 1/3 of the team was going to be unavailable if they tried to move it to Friday. Now I’m sure a number of those families would have just cancelled this vacation plans had the game been rescheduled, but that’s what the coach was facing.

So, the powers that be stated that if the air quality index was acceptable (below 150) on Friday when BOD had proposed to the rescheduled game, then it would be ruled a forfeit. If the index was 150 or above, it would be officially cancelled and no game. So if it has been ruled a forfeit, then the air quality index must have come down from Thursday’s number to an acceptable figure.

Again BOD was going to win that game so outcome is the same. HOWEVER, not fair to Kennedy who was ready to go at scheduled time but then asked to reschedule game to next day at last minute, oh and now you have to get a bus too. Were officials even available? Seems like Kennedy got screwed and odowd bullied it into a forfeit win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT