ADVERTISEMENT

Open removes section cap

straightline50

Sports Fanatic
Mar 15, 2018
I heard the section cap has been removed and more than four teams can be chosen for the open in anyone section. If true I would say the split is more like NCS 5, CCS 2 and SJS 1.

1. Mitty
2. Pinewood
3. Salesian
4. Carondelete
5. Miramonte
6. Heritage either as D1 winner or D1 runner up.
7. Saint Mary's Stockton
8. Bubble teams: Folsom, Mclatchy, Sacramento, Antelope, Bear Creek, Cardinal Newman, Saint Joseph Notre Dame (D4 winner), O Dowd if they beat MM.

I highly doubt they only send 1 SJS team. They will most likely send 4 NCS, 2 CCS, 2 SJS. That's how I see it. The 8 seed this year will be very similar to last year. Who ever gets this "honor" will also receive the honor of getting blasted by mitty 30 to 50 points.

Reactions: basketba11
1. Mitty
2. Pinewood
3. Salesian
4. Carondelete
5. Miramonte
7. Saint Mary's Stockton
8. Bubble teams: Folsom, Mclatchy, Sacramento, Antelope, Bear Creek, Cardinal Newman, Saint Joseph Notre Dame (D4 winner), O Dowd if they beat MM.

I highly doubt they only send 1 SJS team. They will most likely send 4 NCS, 2 CCS, 2 SJS. That's how I see it. The 8 seed this year will be very similar to last year. Who ever gets this "honor" will also receive the honor of getting blasted by mitty 30 to 50 points.

There are no CCS bubble teams? If that’s true then the top 7 D1 seeds will be SJS & NCS?

There are no CCS bubble teams? If that’s true then the top 7 D1 seeds will be SJS & NCS?
There are zero bubble teams from the CCS. Mitty, pinewood and then a grand canyon sized gap in CCS.

1. Mitty
2. Pinewood
3. Salesian
4. Carondelete
5. Miramonte
7. Saint Mary's Stockton

assuming no er visits i presume.

I believe the section cap was removed last year. It makes zero sense to have ever had a cap to begin with. If you truly are taking the top 16 teams to Open, then why would they have a cap? The cap protected certain sections and allowed them to send powerhouses back to the division level and not put their best teams all in the Open. Zero cap is how it should have been from the beginning.

The section cap has two sides, most having to do with the Southern Section.

On the one hand, if the Southern Section got six of the eight Open spots, there are teams from other sections, especially on the boys' side, that would complain they were left out.

On the other, if the Southern Section is limited to four, then as Craig points out, Southern Section teams that should, by achievement, be Open, drop into Division 1 -- and then Southern Section D-1 teams drop to D-2 and so on.

For NorCal girls, it's hard to imagine five NCS teams going. That would mean either Mitty or Pinewood would be in D-1, or only the D-1 SJS champ would be Open. Given what's happened so far, I'd think SJS gets two, either the D-1 and D-2 winner (especially if that's Antelope) or the D-1 finalists.

The case could be made, presumably, that five of the best teams in Northern California are from NCS, but I think that's a tough sell. The MaxPreps' computer rankings have Antelope, SMS, Folsom and McClatchy all either in or very close to the top eight in NorCals, with Bear Creek right behind. Of course, the negotiation skills of the section commissioners comes into play during these meetings, and also the attitude of the commissioners -- do they feel they want as many teams as possible in the Open, or do they secretly want them to drop to D-1?

And let's not forget the committee has the option to shift Clovis West into the north if it wants to.

Clay - What does the NCS commissioner negotiate? Teams to be in or teams to not be in?

First, it used to be these meetings were open to the press and coaches -- why that changed is unclear, aside from the usual desire to avoid accountability by those involved. But from watching those sessions, involving bracketing boys and girls, section commissioners would push for certain teams to be in certain divisions -- sometimes up and sometimes down -- and then lobby for seeding once divisions were established.

As in any such situation, bargaining takes place, and implicitly or explicitly, support from one commissioner (say, the Northern Section) on one vote (favoring CCS, say) could wind up with the CCS vote going the Northern Section's way on another issue.

It's typical human behavior, and in these kinds of settings, the better negotiator will get what he or she wants more often than a less effective negotiator. Of course, teasing out what each negotiator wants in a particular situation isn't always an easy process.

The section cap has two sides, most having to do with the Southern Section.

On the one hand, if the Southern Section got six of the eight Open spots, there are teams from other sections, especially on the boys' side, that would complain they were left out.

On the other, if the Southern Section is limited to four, then as Craig points out, Southern Section teams that should, by achievement, be Open, drop into Division 1 -- and then Southern Section D-1 teams drop to D-2 and so on.

For NorCal girls, it's hard to imagine five NCS teams going. That would mean either Mitty or Pinewood would be in D-1, or only the D-1 SJS champ would be Open. Given what's happened so far, I'd think SJS gets two, either the D-1 and D-2 winner (especially if that's Antelope) or the D-1 finalists.

The case could be made, presumably, that five of the best teams in Northern California are from NCS, but I think that's a tough sell. The MaxPreps' computer rankings have Antelope, SMS, Folsom and McClatchy all either in or very close to the top eight in NorCals, with Bear Creek right behind. Of course, the negotiation skills of the section commissioners comes into play during these meetings, and also the attitude of the commissioners -- do they feel they want as many teams as possible in the Open, or do they secretly want them to drop to D-1?

And let's not forget the committee has the option to shift Clovis West into the north if it wants to.
Please post an article or quote where any team was upset at being left out of the open? When does complaining get you anything with CIF. Best 16 teams. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT