ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 adding new schools to rebuild conference.

The music never stops on conference realignment. Have to think UNLV will get an invite too with the Las Vegas market. Maybe Gonzaga as a non football member?

Reactions: StateFarmShaman
I still think Cal and Stanford should have waited it out with Oregon St and Washington St and been part of the Pac 12 moving forward. Yes, there would have been a lot of uncertainty for a couple of years but ultimately I think it would have been better - the new Pac 12's TV deal will obviously be much smaller but it may have been enough to defray the crazy travel to the east coast they're facing now. Furthermore, they're getting no tv revenue from the ACC for several years.

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
I still think Cal and Stanford should have waited it out with Oregon St and Washington St and been part of the Pac 12 moving forward. Yes, there would have been a lot of uncertainty for a couple of years but ultimately I think it would have been better - the new Pac 12's TV deal will obviously be much smaller but it may have been enough to defray the crazy travel to the east coast they're facing now. Furthermore, they're getting no tv revenue from the ACC for several years.
there's literally less than zero way that cal and stanford would affiliate themselves with schools like fresno and boise. in any capacity whatsoever. unless there looking for janitors.

Way to much money for Cal and Stanford to pass up on. even at a reduced share +/- $7.5 million for the next seven years from the ACC. The "new" Pac 12 will be around 5-6 million (just a guess). Increased travel is probably in the $100,000's. The ACC ceiling is much higher, especially if it keeps all it schools. Considering other ACC schools are getting +/-$25 million per year over the next 7 years. Big 10 and SEC schools even more.

The bigger problem will be recruiting athletes to the other sports. True student athletes will probably want to limit ravel across 3 time zones every other weekend. But NIL deals could potentially balance that out.

I see a future where College Football just operates on a different stage and league all ran through network TV money, all other sports regress back to regional leagues and affiliations.

Reactions: THEOC89
I see a future where College Football just operates on a different stage and league all ran through network TV money, all other sports regress back to regional leagues and affiliations.
Talked with Cal’s Head Baseball Coach about this a couple months ago…. He sees this happening in the next 3-5 years….

The travel and Academic balance for non FB sports won’t be sustainable….

Going to be cool though, Both Clemson and Florida State are Coming to Cal this year for 3 game series in Baseball!….

Way to much money for Cal and Stanford to pass up on. even at a reduced share +/- $7.5 million for the next seven years from the ACC. The "new" Pac 12 will be around 5-6 million (just a guess). Increased travel is probably in the $100,000's. The ACC ceiling is much higher, especially if it keeps all it schools. Considering other ACC schools are getting +/-$25 million per year over the next 7 years. Big 10 and SEC schools even more.

The bigger problem will be recruiting athletes to the other sports. True student athletes will probably want to limit ravel across 3 time zones every other weekend. But NIL deals could potentially balance that out.

This is the most senisble solution to separate out football and get back to more regional conferences.

It should have been football/basketball only realignment.

Keep the Pac 12 together for the non revenue sports.

It wasn't that long ago Cal was going to shutdown their baseball program because of funding issues and now they are going to travel all over the country?

The leadership of the Pac12...SPECTACULAR fail.

Eff em!!!

Non revenue sports at Cal are going to funded on endowments and not the athletic department, the new Chancellor Lyons is all over it…….golf program just got $23 million to do this and I think baseball has been like this or majority self funded for a many years now

Agreed.

A lot of people on Twitter are really excited about this, but the reality is that this Pac12 isn't really going to be the Pac12.

It's going to be more like the MWC was when the original WAC members wanted to get away from the Big West teams.

I know it's a crazy idea, but Califronia may as well just go for a predominantly California league. San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Sac State, Davis, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, UNR, Hawaii...

Build up the local football culture...

I know it's a crazy idea, but Califronia may as well just go for a predominantly California league. San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Sac State, Davis, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, UNR, Hawaii...

Build up the local football culture...
cal and stanford want nothing to do with any of those schools. they would never associate with them in any meaningful way.

Yet Cal and Stanford have played San Jose State, Sac State and Davis quite often over the years Plumpy
playing someone is completely different than partnering your brand with theirs.

this isn't even a controversial thing i'm pointing out everyone knows this about cal and stanford it was well publicized during the pac 12 implosion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT