ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 lays an egg

Look at the big Pac-12 picture in 2021. Dismal to say the least.
Who said it wasn't, been that for several seasons. But you're criticizing positive and negative things. The negative deserves criticism, the positive doesn't, you seem to just want to bash everything.Criticizing for criticizings sake.

Who said it wasn't, been that for several seasons. But you're criticizing positive and negative things. The negative deserves criticism, the positive doesn't, you seem to just want to bash everything.Criticizing for criticizings sake.

Sorry. False optimism is not in the cards. The idea that touted UCLA losing at home to a Mountain West entry is somehow OK is illogical. The NCAA seeding committee will not be impressed. The Pac-12 has two potentially significant non-league wins over LSU (let's see how strong the Tigers really are going forward _ after three weeks, they have beaten no one of value) and Ohio State. There are almost too many bad losses to recount here. Has the Pac-12 been bad over the last several years? Yes. The argument right now is that 2021 is the worst overall, at least so far. By the way, the firing of Helton was not so much the firing itself, it was the absurd timing.

Sorry. False optimism is not in the cards. The idea that touted UCLA losing at home to a Mountain West entry is somehow OK is illogical. The NCAA seeding committee will not be impressed. The Pac-12 has two potentially significant non-league wins over LSU (let's see how strong the Tigers really are going forward _ after three weeks, they have beaten no one of value) and Ohio State. There are almost too many bad losses to recount here. Has the Pac-12 been bad over the last several years? Yes. The argument right now is that 2021 is the worst overall, at least so far. By the way, the firing of Helton was not so much the firing itself, it was the absurd timing.
Helton had to go. Period. Doing it now allows SC to observe any coaching prospects they might be considering and watch how their seasons progress and how they handle themselves game to game. Nationwide auditions if you will. They're thinking ahead to 2022. False optimism?

Reactions: THEOC89
Btw. what conference and team do you follow?

if you are a power 5 there is always shame. you should be better. especially since 2 weeks ago ucla were all the rage
In a perfect world a power five should never lose to a group of five but to be fair they all have 85 scholarships. A much bigger sin is an FBS program losing to an FCS program since FCS programs only have 62 (if that) scholarships.

Reactions: colhenrylives
In a perfect world a power five should never lose to a group of five but to be fair they all have 85 scholarships. A much bigger sin is an FBS program losing to an FCS program since FCS programs only have 62 (if that) scholarships.
not all 85 are created equal. not even close. numbers 70-85 at fresno st/san diego st/hawaii werent recruited by the top 10 power 5's.

not all 85 are created equal. not even close. numbers 70-85 at fresno st/san diego st/hawaii werent recruited by the top 10 power 5's.
Actually very few group of five’s are “offered” by top ten power 5’s but I get your point. That’s what’s cool about the sport when teams with less talent like Boise State and Fresno State can compete and sometimes beat good power 5 teams because they try harder and/or out coach them. In my mind it’s equally cool when a good FCS program beats any FBS program. Very few FBS programs are willing to play FCS powers like North Dakota State or James Madison.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedZone90
Actually very few group of five’s are “offered” by top ten power 5’s but I get your point. That’s what’s cool about the sport when teams with less talent like Boise State and Fresno State can compete and sometimes beat good power 5 teams because they try harder and/or out coach them. In my mind it’s equally cool when a good FCS program beats any FBS program. Very few FBS programs are willing to play FCS powers like North Dakota State or James Madison.
Nowadays there's a lot of talent spread out, even among non power 5 D1 schools. With the transfer portal quite a few Power 5 players are now at non Power 5 schools. The Fresno St QB was a Washington transfer( and Monte Vista grad). Not like it was 20 years ago. The mismatches aren't as dramatic talent wise

Reactions: Bubba3000
I’ve seen power five kids transfer down to FCS so they don’t have to sit a year like dropping within the FBS ranks. I also believe some kids wrongly get recruited to the FBS level and for whatever reason they realize they may never actually get to play and FCS often gives them the opportunity to play. Individually I don’t see a huge difference between anyone that plays at the D1 level.

to say they try harder is wrong. just because they seem to be trying harder and you assume less talent means more effort is just inaccurate. you do not start at SC, Texas, alabama or ohio st without 'trying'... and surely they arent outcoached either. fresno won. ok great. but you putting to much on it. fresno often does this. then goes and does the usually versus boise

The true measuring stick is the annual NFL draft. That tells you where the best players are.
A spate of diligent research by your devoted correspondent indicates the following re the 2021 NFL draft: Of the top 200 players selected, 87 percent (174) came from Power Five institutions of alleged higher learning. The remaining 13 percent (26) did not. The most obvious outlier was Trey Lance of North Dakota State, chosen No.3 overall by the Santa Clara 49ers.

Reactions: RedZone90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT