ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 5

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
Week 5 –

League Play starts this week in all 4 Divisions. For the most part each Division is shaping up as expected with a few “surprises”.

Gabilan- looks like Palma V Salinas could decide the title. Aptos seems to be just a shade below the top two. Alverez has looked good at times and could push Hollister and Carmel for a playoff spot. Christopher may battle with the lower 3 teams. Gilroy is in for a long season.

Mission- Shaping up to be a 3-team race between Seaside, MVC and Monterey. Alisal has been a bit sporadic, so has Soledad. Scott’s Valley went 2-2 vs all lower division teams, while North Salinas is just looking for consistency.

Cyprus-Soquel may be the biggest surprise of the entire PCAL. They will be challenged by NMC and Gonzales. The 2nd Place team here may get an at large bid. King City beat who they should but may be a bit behind the top 3. SLV has been a bit of a disappointment, while Watsonville barley beat a bad Pajaro Valley Team.

Santa Lucia- If PG and St Francis can keep enough kids healthy one of them will should finish up top. RLS has a little more depth and will challenge them. Harbor may finish 4th with a total of 4 victories matching the last 6 years(?) combined. Greenfield, Pajaro Valley and Marina are just trying to improve in each game.

15-1 last week, Santa Cruz beating Alisal ruined my perfect weekend. 51-18 for the season. 13 League games for this weekend:

Fri 09/27 King City (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm- Santa Cruz has been up and down this year. KC has been pretty consistent. KC 31-24

Fri 09/27 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- Watsonville has not been very good this year. NMC 42-8

Sat 09/28 Soquel (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 2:00pm- Soquel has been the biggest surprise in the entire PCAL. They keep it going vs SLV. Soquel 28-7

Fri 09/27 Alisal (Salinas, CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – I feel Alisal should be way better. Lets see if they turn it around vs NS. Alisal 28-14

Fri 09/27 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- Soledad has now lost 2 in a row, while MVC is starting to roll. MVC 34-7

Sat 09/28 Monterey (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm- SV will not be able to keep up with Monterey. Monterey 35-14

Fri 09/27 Carmel (CA) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA), 7:30pm- Christopher kept it close with Seaside and should be able to score on the Padres, but I think Carmel will be a bit too quick and score more. Carmel 45-34

Fri 09/27 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Gilroy (CA), 7:30pm- Long Season for Gilroy. Alvarez 35-10

Fri 09/27 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm- Way to start league play with a bang! I picked Palma in before the season started and I am going to stay with them. Too much speed at the skill positions. Palma 45-42

Fri 09/27 Aptos (CA) at San Benito (Hollister, CA), 7:30pm- Aptos is very disciplined and runs their offense to perfection. I think they will get by the ‘Balers. Aptos 24-20

Fri 09/27 Greenfield (CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:00pm – This will be a close game between 2 teams trying to rebuild. Harbor 28-27

Fri 09/27 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm -Not quite the same as Palma V Salinas, but still could be for the Division title. Taking SFCC for the “upset” 21-18

Sat 09/28 Marina (CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm- Pure RLS domination! RLS wins 28-7!!!

Week 5 –

League Play starts this week in all 4 Divisions. For the most part each Division is shaping up as expected with a few “surprises”.

Gabilan- looks like Palma V Salinas could decide the title. Aptos seems to be just a shade below the top two. Alverez has looked good at times and could push Hollister and Carmel for a playoff spot. Christopher may battle with the lower 3 teams. Gilroy is in for a long season.

Mission- Shaping up to be a 3-team race between Seaside, MVC and Monterey. Alisal has been a bit sporadic, so has Soledad. Scott’s Valley went 2-2 vs all lower division teams, while North Salinas is just looking for consistency.

Cyprus-Soquel may be the biggest surprise of the entire PCAL. They will be challenged by NMC and Gonzales. The 2nd Place team here may get an at large bid. King City beat who they should but may be a bit behind the top 3. SLV has been a bit of a disappointment, while Watsonville barley beat a bad Pajaro Valley Team.

Santa Lucia- If PG and St Francis can keep enough kids healthy one of them will should finish up top. RLS has a little more depth and will challenge them. Harbor may finish 4th with a total of 4 victories matching the last 6 years(?) combined. Greenfield, Pajaro Valley and Marina are just trying to improve in each game.

15-1 last week, Santa Cruz beating Alisal ruined my perfect weekend. 51-18 for the season. 13 League games for this weekend:

Fri 09/27 King City (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm- Santa Cruz has been up and down this year. KC has been pretty consistent. KC 31-24

Fri 09/27 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- Watsonville has not been very good this year. NMC 42-8

Sat 09/28 Soquel (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 2:00pm- Soquel has been the biggest surprise in the entire PCAL. They keep it going vs SLV. Soquel 28-7

Fri 09/27 Alisal (Salinas, CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – I feel Alisal should be way better. Lets see if they turn it around vs NS. Alisal 28-14

Fri 09/27 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- Soledad has now lost 2 in a row, while MVC is starting to roll. MVC 34-7

Sat 09/28 Monterey (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm- SV will not be able to keep up with Monterey. Monterey 35-14

Fri 09/27 Carmel (CA) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA), 7:30pm- Christopher kept it close with Seaside and should be able to score on the Padres, but I think Carmel will be a bit too quick and score more. Carmel 45-34

Fri 09/27 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Gilroy (CA), 7:30pm- Long Season for Gilroy. Alvarez 35-10

Fri 09/27 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm- Way to start league play with a bang! I picked Palma in before the season started and I am going to stay with them. Too much speed at the skill positions. Palma 45-42

Fri 09/27 Aptos (CA) at San Benito (Hollister, CA), 7:30pm- Aptos is very disciplined and runs their offense to perfection. I think they will get by the ‘Balers. Aptos 24-20

Fri 09/27 Greenfield (CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:00pm – This will be a close game between 2 teams trying to rebuild. Harbor 28-27

Fri 09/27 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm -Not quite the same as Palma V Salinas, but still could be for the Division title. Taking SFCC for the “upset” 21-18

Sat 09/28 Marina (CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm- Pure RLS domination! RLS wins 28-7!!!
Thanks for the rundown and congrats on the good pick ems.

Reactions: colhenrylives

Harbor needs to stop trying to rebuild so close to the ocean. Every time there's a high-tide, their sand castle gets washed out.

Serious question: has Harbor EVER been good?

Quick Research says Not really:

Last 4 years 1-38
Last 10 Years 13-86

Best years I could Find:
1978 tied with Aptos for a SCCAL title, but did not go to the playoffs
1983 lost to King City in CCS Div II South Championship (SCCAL 2nd Place)
1996 won a SCCAL title but lost in first round of DIII playoffs
2000 Lost in CCS DIII Semifinals (SCCAL 2nd Place)

Last edited:
Quick Research says Not really:

Last 4 years 1-38
Last 10 Years 13-86

Best years I could Find:
1978 tied with Aptos for a SCCAL title, but did not go to the playoffs
1983 lost to King City in CCS Div II South Championship (SCCAL 2nd Place)
1996 won a SCCAL title but lost in first round of DIII playoffs

Back then you had to win your league just to make the playoffs. 5-5 didn’t sneak you into the field. Now there are teams that win state titles that wouldn’t have made the playoffs in the 70s format. If it’s been over 40 years since they were good enough to tie for a league title, then it was a very good question.

Week 5 –

Nice job RLS! Salinas and Palma in a shootout... how times have changed! Should be a good one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT