PCAL Week 5

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 5- Start of league play.

Last week 9-4 Overall 50-21

Gabilan

Last week the Gabilan went 6-1 in the crossover games (Including Hollister forfeit win over Santa Cruz). The only team to lose was Alvarez, as they lost to one of the top “B” programs; Carmel. I still stand by my statement that the Gabilan is down this year, but they are still the #1 league is this area. But this year the difference between 1-6 maybe a lot less than in years past. Which should give us some great matchups every week. Still Like Salinas to finish up top, but Palma and Monterey could be there as well. I would be surprised if any team went through the schedule without a loss.

Fri 09/22 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm- Both teams have beaten Oak Grove for their only on field victory. Alvarez won by 8 Hollister by 37. Hollister 45-16

Fri 09/22 Monterey (CA) vs Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm-
Best game of the week locally. Will Monterey speed be able to shut/slow down Palma WR1? Yes. Will Palma size and depth wear down Monterey upfront? Yes. Not to mention Monterey HC was old OC at Palma. Both coaches know each other. This is a great matchup. Taking the home team Chieftains. Palma 24-23

Fri 09/22 Salinas (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:00pm-
Salinas finally found some offense this past week in an impressive victory over Seaside. Soquel had a slug fest with Scott’s Valley. Soquel is a team that like to pound the ball and control tempo, I don’t think Salina’s defense will allow that. Salinas 24-14

Mission North

Scott’s Valley played Soquel tough and despite their big loss to Salinas, I still think Seaside will be tough to beat in this league. However, they have an big match up with MVC this week, winner will probably be in drivers seat for 2nd place and a chance at playoffs. Scott’s Valley s (bye this week) is still the favorite.

Fri 09/22 Seaside (CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm- This game intrigues me. Both teams had big losses last week vs. Upper Gabilan Division teams. Both teams also have a victory over Ranch San Juan. Who bounces back? I like Seaside here. Seaside 28-27

Fri 09/22 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm-
Another very close match up. NMC had an easier than expected victory over Harbor, while St. Francis closer than expected victory over Pajaro. Taking the home team NMC 17-10

Fri 09/22 Watsonville (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA),
7:30pm- I Hope this game is played as it is one of the longest rivalries in the West Coast. If played Watsonville should prevail easily. Watsonville 35-7

Mission South

Carmel has not played that tough of a schedule, but they di beat up an “A” league oppent in Alvarez and they are scoring a lot of points this year. They are the clear front runner in this division. Alisal and North Salinas should battle it out for second place. PG is 4-0, but they have played a weak schedule. It would be cool if both PG and Carmel were undefeated at the Shoe game this year. But I just don’t see it.

Fri 09/22 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- North Salinas has been one of the better PCAL stories this year. Soledad, a bit of a disappointment. North Salinas 24-0

Sat 09/23 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm-
Top 2 teams in the Mission North (in my opinion). Contrasting styles of Play. Carmel will try to outscore you, while Alisal is ground and pound. I just don’t know if Alisal can stop the big play. If Carmel gets up by 2 scores its over. Carmel 45-21

Sat 09/23 Pacific Grove (CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 2:00pm-
PG is 4-0 (I just threw up a little in my mouth). Their schedule has been pretty soft, but they did beat a solid Greenfield team last week. Rancho has played a little tougher schedule and may have a little more depth. Rancho 21-14

Santa Lucia

Greenfield almost came back to knock off PG, while the defending Champions RLS Pirates took down King City. These 2 teams should battle for the division crown. SLV had a great win over Watsonville last week, while Harbor had a reality check courtesy of North Monterey County.

Fri 09/22 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) vs Marina (CA) at Monterey Peninsula College (Monterey, CA), 7:30pm- RLS is just simply better than Marina this year. RLS 28-7

Sat 09/23 Gonzales (CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 6:00pm –
This should be a close matchup. Going to take Gonzales after their big win last week. Gonzales 28-27

Sat 09/23 Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 12:30pm-
SLV is starting to get things turned around. Don’t think they can challenge Greenfield and RLS, but things seem to be going in the right direction again. SLV 34-14

The local rankings (not naming names) have been reacting to records rather than who these teams have been playing. Doug does a good job of not getting caught up in this, but one new list on Twitter astonishingly didn't even have Salinas or Aptos amongst the honorable mentions at one point, much less the top 10 in the PCAL area. Many local fans filled with jealousy over the historical attention that the Big 3 (is Hollister really in the top group anymore?) usually get have been salivating at the early results, but they're likely going to start getting a taste of reality in the coming weeks and learn an important lesson... context matters.

This is a year in which having certain additional teams (aside from the four usuals) in the Gabilan Division really makes sense. However, Alvarez isn't one of them. I will always assert that this needs to be a 6-team division only. Hollister will win, but I don't see them completely dominating. 27-14 Haybalers

The local #1 team in the PCAL (cough, cough) still hasn't played anyone with a pulse. There may have been some taunting towards this week's opponent by either that team or its fanbase as well, which sort of reminds me of these yahoos who stroll into a MMA dojos to challenge the instructor only to have their asses handed to them. While I have never seen this year's Palma team as any sort of clear top team in the region (despite the early press), I believe their big game experience (and the sheer lack of it on the other side) will prevail. 24-20 Chieftains

This is where one might expect a little homerism for the repeated defending league champs, but I caught Soquel's first game against Los Gatos and came away impressed. They are a feisty group. The Wildcats tried to exert their will at the line of scrimmage for the first half and the Knights were having none of it. It wasn't until they took to the air in the second where they finally pulled away. I see this game against Salinas in much of the same light. It should be a tough, physical game with the Cowboys pulling away late, 24-14.

Reactions: RLS13
I agree CAL 14. I would really like to see Monterey and Soquel win, if nothing else just to change the guard a little bit in the Gabilan. But until they do, picking the "blue bloods" . But this is the first time in a while I remember this league having 6 schools this competitive.

I think yo can refer to Hollister as #4 Gabilan, they really have not done much in league play the last few years. I feel for Alvarez, due to student poulation, they are always put back up in the Gabilan. But next year I think Carmel replaces them.

Palma V Monterey should be a great game, Palma had 1 tough test (which they lost) and Monterey has been on cruise control vs inferior opponents. Monterey is fast will try to put up a lot of points. Palma is a bit more methodical but will try to get the ball into WR1 hands. I think Monterey's lack of depth, especially upfront, will doom them in this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT