ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 7

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 7

Last week was odd to say the least. When you have a league of 28 Teams across 4 divisions based on equity, you think you would be guaranteed at least 5-6 competitive games per weekend. Well, the PCAL “schedule makers” said hold my beer. Only 1 of the 12 games was decided by a single possession, a majority were over at halftime. The good news is, going forward we should have a lot of competitive games every week, I think,

The top 4 in the Gabilan continued to roll (Aptos had a bye), I still see Salinas winning the division easily. Their offense is really, really good. Palma and Hollister renew their rivalry. At one time this was the biggest game in the area as these 2 teams would meet in league (the old MTAL) and then latter in the CCS II Division south Championships, with no team winning twice. Very similar to the Mater Dei v SJB rivalry down south today. Except with real high school kids and not recruited 19 year old’s.

In the Mission, Soquel continued its quest for a title in easily dispatching Carmel. I am not 100% sure what’s happening at Carmel, but its not good. Monterey put up another 50 point game, the QB switch is working out well for them, and Seaside crushed an improving MVC team.

The Cypress had the best game of the weekend as Rancho remained undefeated by coming back in the 2nd half and giving King City another heart-breaking loss. 2 undefeated teams are left in this division as St. Francis continued it roll. The Santa Lucia had the biggest “upset” as Marina’s QB/DB scored 5 TDs 3 different ways to knock off Gonzales. Meanwhile Greenfield and RLS look like the teams to beat. Circle 10/22 for the potential 1st place showdown. I fully expect @Streakone to include that game in the weekly pick’em.

Last week 11-1 (Marina got me) Overall 67-31

Gabilan

Fri 10/07 Santa Cruz (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – Might be better to lose this game as the winner will probably stay in the Gabilan next year. Alisal 24-20

Fri 10/07 Aptos (CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – I cant confirm, but my guess is Aptos spent more of its bye week preparing for Salinas next week than Alverez on Friday. Aptos 45-7

Fri 10/07 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Hollister (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm – There was a time, not that long ago, that Salinas was only an average program and all league titles were decided between these 2 schools. There was great rivalry not of just players but of the fan bases as well. Palam defense is good and the offense seems to have found it’s groove. Palma 20-14

Mission

Fri 10/07 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm- North Salinas is averaging 5.8 points per game this season. That is not good. This is probably their last best chance to win a game this year. MVC 21-6

Fri 10/07 Scotts Valley (CA) at Monterey (CA), 7:30pm- Scott’s Valley D vs Monterey O. This game should be good. I am liking what the new HC at Monterey has done. He was not afraid to make some big changes after a slow offensive start to the season. Scott’s valley D will slow them down, but not enough. Monterey 22-14

Sat 10/08 Soquel (CA) at Seaside (CA), 2:00pm – Seaside came out last week and completely overwhelmed MVC. While Soquel let Carmel take an early lead then hung 38 on unanswered on them. I am picking Soquel, they have just been so consistent this year, but would not be surprised by an upset. Soquel 35-30

Cypress

Fri 10/07 Watsonville (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm -I feel bad for King City, over the past 3 years no program around here has had worst “heartbreaking” losses then them. They should bounce back this weekend. KC 35-14

Fri 10/07 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm – PG will probably win this game, they seem to be better than NMC, But I don’t like picking them, so I won’t; Upset special. NMC 24-20

Fri 10/07 Soledad (CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – Rancho came back on KC despite losing their #1 back. Credit to the coaches and the kids. Not sure if RB1 is back for this game, but Soledad defense is the best Ranch has seen so far this year. Soledad 21-7

Santa Lucia

Sat 10/08 Gonzales (CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm – Gonzales should be able to rebound vs a scrappy PV squad. Gonzales 21-15

Sat 10/08 Greenfield (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 12:30pm -Greenfield believes they have legitimate shot at a league title. This year’s SLV team will not slow them down. Greenfield 35-14

Sat 10/08 Marina (CA) vs Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:00pm -Great win last week by Marina over Gonzales, the momentum should continue vs harbor. Marina 24-14

PCAL Week 7

Last week was odd to say the least. When you have a league of 28 Teams across 4 divisions based on equity, you think you would be guaranteed at least 5-6 competitive games per weekend. Well, the PCAL “schedule makers” said hold my beer. Only 1 of the 12 games was decided by a single possession, a majority were over at halftime. The good news is, going forward we should have a lot of competitive games every week, I think,

The top 4 in the Gabilan continued to roll (Aptos had a bye), I still see Salinas winning the division easily. Their offense is really, really good. Palma and Hollister renew their rivalry. At one time this was the biggest game in the area as these 2 teams would meet in league (the old MTAL) and then latter in the CCS II Division south Championships, with no team winning twice. Very similar to the Mater Dei v SJB rivalry down south today. Except with real high school kids and not recruited 19 year old’s.

In the Mission, Soquel continued its quest for a title in easily dispatching Carmel. I am not 100% sure what’s happening at Carmel, but its not good. Monterey put up another 50 point game, the QB switch is working out well for them, and Seaside crushed an improving MVC team.

The Cypress had the best game of the weekend as Rancho remained undefeated by coming back in the 2nd half and giving King City another heart-breaking loss. 2 undefeated teams are left in this division as St. Francis continued it roll. The Santa Lucia had the biggest “upset” as Marina’s QB/DB scored 5 TDs 3 different ways to knock off Gonzales. Meanwhile Greenfield and RLS look like the teams to beat. Circle 10/22 for the potential 1st place showdown. I fully expect @Streakone to include that game in the weekly pick’em.

Gabilan

Fri 10/07 Santa Cruz (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – Might be better to lose this game as the winner will probably stay in the Gabilan next year. Alisal 24-20

Fri 10/07 Aptos (CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – I cant confirm, but my guess is Aptos spent more of its bye week preparing for Salinas next week than Alverez on Friday. Aptos 45-7

Fri 10/07 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Hollister (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm – There was a time, not that long ago, that Salinas was only an average program and all league titles were decided between these 2 schools. There was great rivalry not of just players but of the fan bases as well. Palam defense is good and the offense seems to have found it’s groove. Palma 20-14

Mission

Fri 10/07 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm- North Salinas is averaging 5.8 points per game this season. That is not good. This is probably their last best chance to win a game this year. MVC 21-6

Fri 10/07 Scotts Valley (CA) at Monterey (CA), 7:30pm- Scott’s Valley D vs Monterey O. This game should be good. I am liking what the new HC at Monterey has done. He was not afraid to make some big changes after a slow offensive start to the season. Scott’s valley D will slow them down, but not enough. Monterey 22-14

Sat 10/08 Soquel (CA) at Seaside (CA), 2:00pm – Seaside came out last week and completely overwhelmed MVC. While Soquel let Carmel take an early lead then hung 38 on unanswered on them. I am picking Soquel, they have just been so consistent this year, but would not be surprised by an upset. Soquel 35-30

Cypress

Fri 10/07 Watsonville (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm -I feel bad for King City, over the past 3 years no program around here has had worst “heartbreaking” losses then them. They should bounce back this weekend. KC 35-14

Fri 10/07 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm – PG will probably win this game, they seem to be better than NMC, But I don’t like picking them, so I won’t; Upset special. NMC 24-20

Fri 10/07 Soledad (CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – Rancho came back on KC despite losing their #1 back. Credit to the coaches and the kids. Not sure if RB1 is back for this game, but Soledad defense is the best Ranch has seen so far this year. Soledad 21-7

Santa Lucia

Sat 10/08 Gonzales (CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm – Gonzales should be able to rebound vs a scrappy PV squad. Gonzales 21-15

Sat 10/08 Greenfield (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 12:30pm -Greenfield believes they have legitimate shot at a league title. This year’s SLV team will not slow them down. Greenfield 35-14

Sat 10/08 Marina (CA) vs Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:00pm -Great win last week by Marina over Gonzales, the momentum should continue vs harbor. Marina 24-14
Excellent run down and commentary!

Non-PCAL games that could impact Salinas' playoff situation:

Clayton Valley Charter @ Amador Valley... Calpreps.com predicts a 21-17 win for the Ugly Eagles

Valley Christian @ St. Ignatius... Calpreps.com predicts a 28-27 win for the Wildcats

Clovis vs Clovis North (@ Buchanan, which I think would be a home game for North)... Calpreps.com predicts a 24-20 win for the Cougars

All these games are winnable by teams the Cowboys faced in non-league play, who may need for them to finish out their year strongly. Increased ratings for these teams means a slight bump for Salinas, who may need it to overcome Mitty for the #2 CCS D-I playoff seed.

Reactions: RLS13
Nice summary and picks. Also this week Palma's head coach Jeff Carnazo will be shooting for win number 299 on his quest for 300 wins. If Palma loses, will be tough for Palma to get his number 300 facing Salinas and Aptos in the final 3 weeks of league and they will have to win a game in the playoffs. Great milestone for the coach and team has 2 200+ (edited) game winning coaches (Costa). I think the spread should be thrown out. I'm not so confident Palma offense will have a lot of success. Palma defense is pretty good and if they win will be the difference.

Last edited:
Non-PCAL games that could impact Salinas' playoff situation:

Clayton Valley Charter @ Amador Valley... Calpreps.com predicts a 21-17 win for the Ugly Eagles

Valley Christian @ St. Ignatius... Calpreps.com predicts a 28-27 win for the Wildcats

Clovis vs Clovis North (@ Buchanan, which I think would be a home game for North)... Calpreps.com predicts a 24-20 win for the Cougars

All these games are winnable by teams the Cowboys faced in non-league play, who may need for them to finish out their year strongly. Increased ratings for these teams means a slight bump for Salinas, who may need it to overcome Mitty for the #2 CCS D-I playoff seed.
I think Salinas did a very good job of trying to schedule up this preseason. And you would of thought one of these 3 historically good programs would be having a good year, but alas all 3 are .500 or below. CVC I believe, has the best chance to help Salinas. CVC has some very close loss to some top teams, they will challenge in the EBL.

It would be nice to be seeded 2nd and get that home game in the 2nd round. But more important, is to not to be the 4th seed. Try to get Serra (presumed #1) in the championship game on a "neutral field".

Nice summary and picks. Also this week Palma's head coach Jeff Carnazo will be shooting for win number 299 on his quest for 300 wins. If Palma loses, will be tough for Palma to get his number 300 facing Salinas and Aptos in the final 3 weeks of league and they will have to win a game in the playoffs. Great milestone for the coach and team would have had 2 300 game winning coaches (Costa). I think the spread should be thrown out. I'm not so confident Palma offense will have a lot of success. Palma defense is pretty good and if they win will be the difference.
I have done a bit of disservice to the Palma community by not talking about this more (or at all..) You are right 299 is in his grasp, and they will probably be favored in only 1 of the final 3 games (Santa Cruz).

I think the more remarkable stat, is that over a +/- 45 year period, 1 school will have produced a coach with 200+ (Costa had 205 wins at Palma, 266 total) wins and a second with 298 wins. My math is a little fuzzy but it averages out to over 10 wins a year. Considering you only schedule 10 regular season games per year, that is a model of a consistent program.

PCAL Week 7

PCAL Week 7

The Santa Lucia had the biggest “upset” as Marina’s QB/DB scored 5 TDs 3 different ways to knock off Gonzales. Meanwhile Greenfield and RLS look like the teams to beat. Circle 10/22 for the potential 1st place showdown. I fully expect @Streakone to include that game in the weekly pick’em.

Sat 10/08 Marina (CA) vs Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:00pm -Great win last week by Marina over Gonzales, the momentum should continue vs harbor. Marina 24-14.
Love the weekly recap and predictions. Marina's JJ Guevara scored those TDs 4 different ways. The kid had 113 yds receiving and 2 TDs, threw for a 32 yd TD, rushed for 119 yds and a TD and returned a pick for a TD to put Marina up 26-20 with 2:17 left in the game.

You're welcome for the 11-1. We'll try to make you look better this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT