ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 9 (part 2)

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 9

Last weeks post was titled Week 9, when in actuality it was only 8, so this week part 2

Last week 10-2 Overall 88-30

Gabilan

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated” Mark Twain, 1897 & Palma Football, 2023. So after forfeiting preseason wins and a loss to Monterey, most people, myself included ,thought Palma’s 38 straight playoff appearance might be over. After a victory over Hollister and Aptos last week, they should finish top 4, securing an automatic berth. And they still have a shot to win the title. Another big hurdle this weekend with Soquel. Meanwhile, now Aptos will be fighting for its post-season chance as it visits Monterey. I still think Salinas is the best team, but this league, top to bottom, is more competitive than it has ever been. And is providing some great matchups every week.

Fri 10/20 Salinas (CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -With the way the year has gone in the Gabilan, an Alvarez victory here would not be a complete shock. I don’t think it will happen, butt.. Salinas 24-21

Fri 10/20 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Soquel (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm-
Palma has ben playing great lately, but I still think that Soquel has been much more consistent on both sides of the ball. Soquel 21-20

Sat 10/21 Aptos (CA) at Monterey (CA), 2:00pm
– Aptos has beaten North Salinas and Alvarez. They have had some close games, but they are in real danger of not making the playoffs. Monterey gave Salinas all it could handle last week. But they have had some inconsistencies due to lack of depth. Aptos 35-32

Mission North

You know it’s a big game if @StreakOne chooses you for the weekly Pickem! Scott’s Valley makes the trip down to Seaside, with 1st place on the line. SV defense gives up less than 9 pts a game (less than 3 in league), but they have not faced on offense like Seaside. QB1 for Seaside maybe the best playmaker in the whole PCAL (and one of the tops in CCS), he is hard to contain. Should be a great game. Santa Cruz finished last weeks game with just 13 kids, hoping they play this week.

Fri 10/20 Santa Cruz (CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm – Same thing as last week. MVC will win easily, can Santa Cruz score? MVC 35-6

Sat 10/21 Scotts Valley (CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:30pm
- A great defense vs a great offense. What more could you ask for? I think Scott’s Valley slows Seaside QB1 down enough to pullout the victory. Scott’s Valley 20-18

Sat 10/21 Watsonville (CA) at St. Francis (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm
- So a St Francis Win should set up a showdown latter with Monte Vista Christian for bragging rights of “The best team in Watsonville”. Maybe a strawberry or apple trophy? St Francis 21-7

Mission South

On paper 6-1 Pacific Grove Vs 6-1 Alisal looks like a great game. But North Salinas finally exposed PG last week 50-6. I expect a similar score this week. Carmel, coming off it’s bye should finish the year undefeated, grab a top seed in DIII or low seed in DII and lose in the first round because they can’t stop anybody on defense. Alisal and North Salinas have 1 more week before their showdown for 2nd place and an automatic playoff berth.

Fri 10/20 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm – PG started 6-0, They could possibly finish 6-4. Alisal will be too tough upfront for PG. Alisal 35-7

Fri 10/20 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm
– This game could become a good rivalry game in the next 5 years or so. But this year North Salinas is just better. North Salinas 28-10

Sat 10/21 King City (CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm
- Speaking of long time rivals. These old MTAL foes face off in a league battle. Carmel has played King City (and Gonzales) almost as many times as it has Pacific Grove. Even when not in the same league, these 2 programs still try and schedule a game. Good to keep traditions going. I am rambling because the game is probably going to be a blowout. Carmel 48-20

Santa Lucia

Not upset with @StreakOne for excluding RLS v Greenfield, (sigh) just disappointed. The top 3 teams (Gonzales the 3rd) start their round robin this week. The winner of this game will be in the driver’s seat for the championship and the automatic playoff berth. Greenfield is probably the better team; they have been more impressive in their victories. But RLS is scrappy and their QB is starting to learn the system and make plays. The other team in the division will just be looking for any improvements to build towards next season.

Fri 10/20 Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:00pm – Pajaro has only 1 win , but they have some close losses as well. They are playing better football of late. Harbor started very strong, lost 3 straight and then got 1 point victory over Marina. I think Pajaro gets the close win. PV 20-17

Fri 10/20 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) vs Marina (CA) at Monterey Peninsula College (Monterey, CA), 7:30pm
– SLV has a hard time scoring points, Marina has a hard time stopping people from scoring. Something has to give: A shootout or a defensive struggle? SLV SLV 21-20

Fri 10/20 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:30pm – Greenfields success this year is partly due to its ability to pass off the play action. One of RLS’s biggest weakness has been defense. Giving up 28 and 29 Points to Marina an Pajaro does not bode well for the Pirates. Greenfield should be able to score easily. But they won’t!!!! RLS 24-23

Admits to writing off Palma and then continues to write them off predicting them to lose. Did you not learn?

I think this is going to be a great game. Palma's offense has been much improved the last couple games. Balance and sustaining drives are two things they did not do in their losses (real losses) this year. The OL is blocking much better. Bringing up Freshman Eli Dukes has given the offense a spark it was missing. The defense hasn't been great but they have been doing enough getting some big stops and creating turnovers late in games.

Soquels defense has had success shutting down some explosive offenses. The offense seems to dominate the time of possesion and wear defenses out. Can they hang if it turns into a shootout? I am not sure they have that fire power. If the defense continues to show up, it should be a battle.

I did write them off, fully admit it. After their loss to Monterey and barley getting by Hollister combine that with their very unimpressive preseason schedule in where all their victories were forfeited. I give Coach Carnazzo (sp?) all the credit in the world in righting that ship. They had a great win v Aptos.

But, Soquel is now at full strength with their Santa Cruz transfers in. I agree Palma wins this game if it is a shootout. I just think Soquel will be able to control the game through it's long sustained offensive drives, Soquel is not a big play team like Aptos is. It kills you off tackle plays for 4-5 yards. I don't know if the Chieftain defense can stop it. I just don't see a shoot out developing here.

But hey I was wrong last week, I picked Aptos....

Soquel's win over Palma was not a fluke (nor was Monterey's). The Knights are a very well-coached team. I've been touting them all year.

But it should have already been apparent that this is not your father's Palma team.

Soquel's win over Palma was not a fluke (nor was Monterey's). The Knights are a very well-coached team. I've been touting them all year.

But it should have already been apparent that this is not your father's Palma team.
Agreed. Soquel was very sound and well coached.

It was a defensive battle. Came down to 2 big plays. Soquel caught Palma playing aggressive and hit them with a nice deep pass over the top. And then their 2nd TD was a ridiculous catch and run. Both TDs by Mccord. Palma elected to be more conservative on offense until obvious passing situations.

Neither offense could get anything going. Once they got to mid field the defenses shut them down. Mccord did a very good job covering Saldate in man coverage. Palma needs another playmaker to step up in the passing game. Good teams that can match up are just going to key on Saldate in passing downs like Soquel did. They had to force the ball to him in the 2nd half and were not successful. Molinari should be at WR when Dukes comes in at RB. I still don't understand why Saldate isn't playing any defense. I guess its a good thing they will be competing outside the top teams in CCS if they make playoffs.

Soquel needs Palma or Hollister to upset Salinas for a chance at the league title. We will see how it all shakes out.

Losing Besaw who became HC at Monterey was huge loss to offense. They basically have same offense minus a very good RB but they have able RBs and WRs are better overall with more experience. The offense lacks any deception and is predictable and they they don't have the lines they used to have. Next season is going to be ugly with with very young talent and they need to find a QB but after that should rebound. Salinas will be very good next season - should be better than this season. If Palma has a decent frosh class next season they should rebound in a season or two (or even an average class they should rebound). May be time for a change in coaches, and next year they probably need to go to offense that has more deception like Wing T or back to Fly. They don't even run play action pass much. Just very predictable offense and defensive corners are small and soft this season.

Last edited:
NorCal,
When you say change in coaches, do you mean coordinators or HC?

NorCal,
When you say change in coaches, do you mean coordinators or HC?
Dang, Mr. Palma starting a fire Carnazzo campaign?.....joking.

Anyone from the area knows that will never happen. Coaches like Carnazzo, Golden Anderson, Al Avila, etc. are so rooted into the schools and football program that they are going no where unless they retire or step down. No way Norcal was suggesting moving on from Carnazzo because he knows that is not even an option.

The offense needs something whether that is scheme change or them bringing in a coach to help. Ever since they left the fly offense Palma has had someone helping with the offense in most years. I think changing the whole offense is a bit much. They have some talented guys coming up. They will have to be young for a year or two. This freshman class has been talked about for a few years as being the class to right the ship for palma. Cater a system to them and let them continue to develop in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT