ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood at Iolani Classic

Brackets must be in coaches hands by now...
8 weeks till Kalua pork and Salmon poke...St Louis drive inn....eat like da locals...
the go to move....Mahi Mahi Fish Sandwich
o.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/st-louis-drive-in-honolulu

Reactions: TigerStancil
Incarnate Word of St. Louis and Clovis West will be there, so it should be a strong event. IWA will most likely start the season nationally ranked ...

I don't know which Hawaiian teams will be there, but Konawaena is probably the strongest. Maryknoll will take a step back after several good seasons, it appears.

We played a team from Okinawa that sliced us and diced us last year ... small but really well coached and very versatile. Played really good man-to-man the first two games, so we prepared for that, and then they played a precise 2-3 zone against us that we couldn't solve. Don't know if it's the same team, but I'm glad we're not playing them.

The 8 teams set...
  • Incarnate Word (MO)
  • Pinewood (CA)
  • Clovis West (CA)
  • Kalani (HI)
  • Kaiser (HI)
  • Sacred Hearts (HI)
  • Lahainaluna (HI)
  • ‘Iolani (HI)

As usual, the tournament will have national ranking implications, as Incarnate Word will most likely start in the top 25 ... and perhaps Pinewood.

From a national perspective, Incarnate Word is the favorite ...

Pinewood-Clovis West still would be really interesting. Like so many games between top teams in California this year, it just depends on who plays better that night.

As far as the WCJ...do you put Pinewood and SMS on the same side of the bracket...meeting in a semi or opposite sides of the bracket potentially
meeting in the final

From a national perspective, Incarnate Word is the favorite ...

Pinewood-Clovis West still would be really interesting. Like so many games between top teams in California this year, it just depends on who plays better that night.

Although every year typically whoever has the most so call D1 players tends to come into the season ranked number 1, and or in the top 3 Nationally, I always like to go with strength of schedule ( winner of the Nike TOC) and how you end the season to determine who I select as the number 1 team in the nation at season's end. That said, I will take the under dogs Pinewood and/ or Clovis West to win the tournament over the favorites Incarnate Word. My guess is Incarnate Word will have the size and the greater number of D1 prospects. But the D1 prospects are gonna have to prove it to Cali before well coached and solid teams like Pinewood and Clovis West just throw in the towels. It should be a fun experience for all with Hawaii being in the backdrop. All the best to bringing the championship title back to Cali. Chances favor a Hawaii team winning it as they have home cooking and 5 of the 8 teams in it. Cali has 2 teams, and the favorite's Incarnate Word will have to be in it to win it alone. Being the Nationally ranked favorites they should do fine.

becoolpt55,

I have both Pinewood( #1) and SMS(#4) in my Norcal preseason top four. I would guess they both will be in the highest bracket in the WCJ. But I think ( I could be wrong) both Salesian( who I have #2) and Mitty ( who I have as my #3) will both also be in the WCJ at the highest level bracket as well. If that happens I'm not sure how Clay and associates who put the schedule together will form the brackets. Good teams that are all capable of winning the tournament make decisions a coin flip when having to put together brackets. Glad Clay is heading that up and not me. But he does know he can always reach out to get my opinion. I think most know I have a few strong opinions.LOL...:)

Last edited:
well if they think that incarnate word is the best team in the tournament, why would they put themselves on that side? And they couldn't make it so obvious as to put PW and IW on the same side. So it makes sense to me

To the other poster...Mitty is not in the WCJ...Clay can confirm...Salesian is but not Mitty

As I said, I wasn't for sure what teams were in the WCJ. But even if Salesian is in the mix with SMS and Pinewood, and if not Mitty probably someone of that top caliber even if it's a Socal power house, that has to be taken into account upon scheduling the brackets. My only point was probably the same point you're making ( or asking Clay rather) and that is who's in the top level at the WCJ? And will SMS, Pinewood, and Salesian be on the same side of the bracket or on the opposite side to have a chance to meet in the finals?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT