ADVERTISEMENT

QB for St. Mary's - Stockton?

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Some think the QB will and should be #8 Marcus Aponte, who served as the QB when the Rams were in the Wildcat (except in that OT play vs Cathedral ... grrr!) and is an exceptional athlete and once considered the back-up QB for the Rams. But, he has been so much more successful in the WR or Slot WR position, that unsure if Coach Franks is willing to give up a weapon at the WR position if he so good at it. He also plays defense at CB position. But, no pass attempts at QB position in 2016. Marcus Aponte's 2016 highlights vs Serra from Maxpreps (where he was QB a couple of times in Wildcat).

Others might think it will be senior, #13 Hunter Low, who actually served as back-up QB for the 2016 Rams team, but only saw limited action at the end of the game, when the game was already decided. His role/responsibility was to hand off the football or run with it himself. NEVER do I recall him passing the ball. Per Maxpreps, Hunter did have 2 attempts with 0 completions. Hunter Low's QB highlights from 2016 from Maxpreps.

Some, like me, believe it will be sophomore, Noah May, who led the Rams JV team at QB as a freshman last year. Earlier this spring, he competed in several 7-on-7 passing tournaments for Team Elevate, which is comprised of a bunch of local talent from the 209. Noah May's 2016 JV highlights from HUDL. Check out the WR he hits in the first highlight vs Serra's JV team, #14 Joseph Fontes. Fontes qualified as sprinter for the 2016 CIF State meet as a freshman. More highlights of #7 Noah May at QB for Team Elevate via YouTube.

Anyone have confirmation as to who St. Mary's-Stockton's QB is going to be for 2017? Please chime in.

Last edited:
This is a classic shot in the dark take, but I'd go with Noah May if the line is at least average. You have a stud RB with some weapons on the outside, so if you can get some protection, go with the guy with the highest ceiling.

Again, I don't know the Rams' roster breakdown or if May actually does have the highest ceiling, but from what I've seen, it is my guess that he does.

Tweeted by Thomas G. Lawrence (of The Record) in last 24 hours ...

Thomas G. Lawrence‏@RecordPreps 12h12 hours ago
.@SMRamsFB coach Franks confirms team leaning toward May to be starter, but senior dual-threat @beastzmodee22 (Aponte) still part of decision (2/2)

Thomas G. Lawrence‏@RecordPreps 12h12 hours ago
“He doesn’t look like a sophomore at all. He’s real bright. Great grasp of the game." @SMRamsFB coach on soph. QB Noah May

Even key players on the team are high on the sophomore ...

MARCUS APONTE‏@beastzmodee22 12h12 hours ago
My boy is the real deal!
Thomas G. Lawrence@RecordPreps
.@SMRamsFB coach Franks confirms team leaning toward May to be starter, but senior dual-threat @beastzmodee22 still part of decision (2/2)​

I've always like Aponte but either way St Mary's is going to be really good. At this point is there a better SJS team? I mean you guys return a lot of key offensive players. Losing Cotton and QB certainly hurt as did some very good lineman, but you have D1 players at RB, WR, Safety, and various spots on the line. Great JV team. This Rams team is going to smack some folks (and get smacked by MD).

Anyone have confirmation as to who St. Mary's-Stockton's QB is going to be for 2017? Please chime in.

My bet is that the two kids both play. It would be the best thing for the program. If I were a coach, I would be pretty pleased to have both a dual threat guy - and a pocket passer that new the concepts and reads really well. Both kids do their thing and it really puts the defense in a bad spot...they have to prepare for two guys with totally different styles. Plus you then have two guys who are really prepared to step in, and you develop your QB for the next few years. If you build your program based on competition, the players will understand that this doesn't end with camp but continues throughout the season. That seems like a great way to go. Only potential downsides is if either kid (or both) need all the practice reps to be effective.

Aponte is too good of an athlete not to get reps in wildcat type situations. I agree with you. Use both guys. Like I said its a good problem to have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT