ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting questions for coaches

HSfan82

Sports Fanatic
Dec 10, 2013
If you are a high school coach and you have potential scholarship kid that has interest from schools, are you calling those coaches to help push “offer” process along or are you waiting for coach to call you.. asking for a friend🤔

Not a HS coach, but I think HS coaches should be helping push their kids to schools that have an interest in a player especially if it is a school the player has a real interest in.

Where I think it gets tough is if the player/coach are looking to get offers to add to their count when they aren't really considering the school.

HS coaches can call until they are blue in the face, but I think it matters little. College coaches aren’t recruiting to do people favors.

• At least at the power high school programs, there are college coaches constantly on campus. They are most often position coaches, sometimes arriving unannounced. They have instructions from their head coaches to recruit certain heights and weights (e.g. no o-linemen under 6’4”).

• College coaches are interested in players who will help the coaches keep their jobs. They care about how good the player will be, not how good they are now. They are looking for height/weight/athleticism. They are looking for athleticism when they look at film or watch practice. Production is secondary.

• If a college coach takes a risk on an undersized or otherwise undesirable player, he is risking his job. It takes a lot for a college program to offer a kid with zero other offers.

• Often, if a kid is waiting on an offer, it’s the colleges who are waiting on their higher ranked players to commit there or somewhere else. If a college has you ranked as their No. 5 target at corner, they are likely waiting to see what the four guys in front of you do before they offer.

HS coaches can call until they are blue in the face, but I think it matters little. College coaches aren’t recruiting to do people favors.

• At least at the power high school programs, there are college coaches constantly on campus. They are most often position coaches, sometimes arriving unannounced. They have instructions from their head coaches to recruit certain heights and weights (e.g. no o-linemen under 6’4”).

• College coaches are interested in players who will help the coaches keep their jobs. They care about how good the player will be, not how good they are now. They are looking for height/weight/athleticism. They are looking for athleticism when they look at film or watch practice. Production is secondary.

• If a college coach takes a risk on an undersized or otherwise undesirable player, he is risking his job. It takes a lot for a college program to offer a kid with zero other offers.

• Often, if a kid is waiting on an offer, it’s the colleges who are waiting on their higher ranked players to commit there or somewhere else. If a college has you ranked as their No. 5 target at corner, they are likely waiting to see what the four guys in front of you do before they offer.

Not true at all, see Arch Manning and a bunch of other high school coaches who have relationships with P5 coaches/recruiters. Clearly Coach Adhir has relationships and it hasn't hurt those P5 coaches jobs. Harbaugh bringing in his friends kids to Michigan.

A coach can literally make or break a kid by what they say or don't say about a kid to a recruiter.

I actually heard Coach Adhir speak about this.

Reactions: HSfan82
Not true at all, see Arch Manning and a bunch of other high school coaches who have relationships with P5 coaches/recruiters. Clearly Coach Adhir has relationships and it hasn't hurt those P5 coaches jobs. Harbaugh bringing in his friends kids to Michigan.

A coach can literally make or break a kid by what they say or don't say about a kid to a recruiter.

It’s better for his brand if people think that.

Reactions: Serrapadre13
One additional thing…an offer is in many ways an investment. Why invest over $100k in a kid who’s got grade issues, a poor work ethic, a bad attitude, etc?

Reactions: Serrapadre13

This post is golden. It serves Coaches to act like they're the ones getting kids these scholarships. Reality is a much different story.

Reactions: PALFan and dcpanda

The last part of this message gives it away. Yesterday you say Serra sends MOST its kids to CSM. Now you say a Coach can make or brake your recruiting. (Which honestly i agree that they can break it, but never make it). Then you bring up Coach Adhir. Purple and gold suites you. "Our Purple is our loyalty our gold is tried and true, fight fight. "

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
. "Our Purple is our loyalty our gold is tried and true, fight fight. "
@Serrapadre13 nice drop of the Riordan alma mater! You sure you’re not a Crusader? Lol. Lots of great story lines with new head coaches, transfers through out the league, and compelling matchups. Going to be must see WCAL this year.

hahaha I was hoping someone caught that :). I have family ties to both schools, no doubt. Both schools are amazing and both schools changed many kids lives. This trend will continue!

Reactions: jordan24

I agree with everything EXCEPT your 1st line… I think HS coaches calling does matter especially if that coach has sent other quality players. Fully agree no favors from college coaches, it’s a business and their paycheck. I still believe a good high school coach establishes relationships with college coaches to send them players that fit that school’s program. HS Coach putting his reputation on line as well

More than a few programs looked upon highly that send very few kids on. Also more than a few with kids who can move on that don’t. If I was to guess it would seem most coaches to kids to parents all seem self serving.

Reactions: Three Bears
It can help to call, but it also doesn't help way more often. Tbh, it really depends on the hc and how he is viewed. I've been in a conversation or 2 where I was told hc so and son has never done us wrong, and is 100% authentic, we will always trust him or your evaluation on a local player because he has never steered us wrong. Have also been in conversations we're they've said we got burned by coach so and so and we will never trust his word again. Imo it comes down to being honest with your player and the college recruiter or if lucky enough their hc. Hold the players to a standard and let them know if they do these things then you will fight for them to the end.

I agree with everything EXCEPT your 1st line… I think HS coaches calling does matter especially if that coach has sent other quality players. Fully agree no favors from college coaches, it’s a business and their paycheck. I still believe a good high school coach establishes relationships with college coaches to send them players that fit that school’s program. HS Coach putting his reputation on line as well
I agree with your note about pipelines. Colleges will come back to the well if they’ve had recent success with a player or players from a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT