ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Folks, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, as I've only gone through it once with my son. On the topic of why so many good high school players don't get recruited, here's my take.

Johnny skill player at 5'8" 155 and runs a 4.75 forty yard dash. Johnny probably doesn't get any offers. If Johnny runs a 4.45 forty coaches at Sac State, UC Davis or some other 1AA school may offer. Because Johnny is under sized AND considered slow for the college game, few coaches are willing to risk their reputation if he doesn't succeed. Coaches are risking their jobs if enough of these guys aren't successful on said coaches watch. On the other hand failure by those with the desired measurables are tolerated. Given the opportunity Johnny may be able to play at the next level. I'm learning that at the college level those that don't absolutely love football and the sacrifice they must make are doomed, regardless of their talent.

Same holds true for vertically challenged and light in the shorts stud high school offensive lineman Joey that's 5'11" 230. He may have the drive, intestinal fortitude and love of the game that it takes to play at the next level, but few coaches are willing to risk their jobs awarding him a scholarship.

A great example of a really good football player that doesn't have the measurables they are looking for at the next level is CJ Cornwell from Cal High. CJ had two stellar years at DVC as a slot receiver and was awarded a full ride to a D2 school in West Texas

http://www.msumustangs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5687&path=football

Last edited:
I think it has to do with that there are so many high school players out there the college coaches can't possibly watch tape and recruit them all. You have the players rated by all the recruiting services that all the programs know about but once you start getting to the lesser known guys you're probably relying more on recommendations from coaches you've built a relationship with to take a chance on a kid, or, a walk on program to see what they can really do at the next level.

Reactions: Bubba3000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT