ADVERTISEMENT

Rico Flores (Folsom)

Watching this ND/OSU game and he just had a touchdown for the Irish. He’s seeing the field a lot as a true freshmen.

Go Irish! ☘️

I remember debating with @larry legend33 about him not that long ago. My contention was that all the recruiting attention from the likes of Alabama and Notre Dame wasn’t unwarranted and he is every bit the blue chip talent as Joe Ngata and all the other high profile recruits from Folsom.

Playing a significant role as a true freshman for a highly ranked ND team is sure supporting my case!

As a lifelong Ohio State fan, I sure was conflicted to see his go ahead TD catch tonight, but fortunately my Buckeyes came up big when it mattered most.

I remember debating with @larry legend33 about him not that long ago. My contention was that all the recruiting attention from the likes of Alabama and Notre Dame wasn’t unwarranted and he is every bit the blue chip talent as Joe Ngata and all the other high profile recruits from Folsom.

Playing a significant role as a true freshman for a highly ranked ND team is sure supporting my case!

As a lifelong Ohio State fan, I sure was conflicted to see his go ahead TD catch tonight, but fortunately my Buckeyes came up big when it mattered most.
I don't particularly care for Ohio St, but I sure as hell don't want ND to win a damn thing. Glad the Buckeyes won .

Thunder........Buckeye fan by birth or by education experience ?

Not exactly birth, but since I was around 6 years old.

I fell in love with the sport of football at a very young age, on my very own, and apparently picked the first teams that caught my eye and interest not having a clue where they were located.

The younger generation won’t understand or relate to this, but before the age of the internet or even cable tv, we only had 3 major network stations and no way to follow teams other than the local newspaper.

We kids were at the mercy of network stations and which teams they decided to show. Basically it was the winning teams/programs of the day. The first NFL game I watched and had interest in had me falling for the Miami Dolphins. Then, as I quickly immersed myself and learned about the game, the first college game I watched was Ohio-State versus TTUN (that team up north). The last years of Woody Hayes were my first as a fan. Art Schlichter was my guy back then.

Watching the ASU v. USC game right now. Local Rio Linda legend and former Sac State Hornet great Cameron Skattebo is doing his best Boobie Miles impersonation. He’s got like 50 yards rushing, 50 yards passing on 3 attempts (just missed throwing a TD pass), 20+ yards receiving, and a 58 yard punt! He’s doing it all!

To quote LV Miles from Friday Night Lights, “That boy can play some football. He can play left, he can play right, don't make no difference. He can block, tackle, score the touch down, snap the ball, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the Gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch. I'm telling ya, the boy can plain play football.

OOHH! And he can pass!”

Watching the ASU v. USC game right now. Local Rio Linda legend and former Sac State Hornet great Cameron Skattebo is doing his best Boobie Miles impersonation. He’s got like 50 yards rushing, 50 yards passing on 3 attempts (just missed throwing a TD pass), 20+ yards receiving, and a 58 yard punt! He’s doing it all!

To quote LV Miles from Friday Night Lights, “That boy can play some football. He can play left, he can play right, don't make no difference. He can block, tackle, score the touch down, snap the ball, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the Gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch. I'm telling ya, the boy can plain play football.

OOHH! And he can pass!”
Tim Brando called him Taysom Hill only shorter.

Tim Brando called him Taysom Hill only shorter.

I heard that. lol.

I believe Cam’s the better runner, Taysom the better QB. ;)

As I type this, Elijhah Badger from Folsom just caught a TD pass and Cam Skattebo just converted the 2 pt conversion that was ruled down but should be overturned.

Both Badger and Skattebo have scored TD’s in this game.

I fell in love with the sport of football at a very young age, on my very own, and apparently picked the first teams that caught my eye and interest not having a clue where they were located.

The younger generation won’t understand or relate to this, but before the age of the internet or even cable tv, we only had 3 major network stations and no way to follow teams other than the local newspaper.

We kids were at the mercy of network stations and which teams they decided to show. Basically it was the winning teams/programs of the day. The first NFL game I watched and had interest in had me falling for the Miami Dolphins. Then, as I quickly immersed myself and learned about the game, the first college game I watched was Ohio-State versus TTUN (that team up north). The last years of Woody Hayes were my first as a fan. Art Schlichter was my guy back then.
Grew up in Buckeye country about 30 miles south of Columbus. Rex Kern , Buckeye Qb 1968-70 was my cousin courtesy one of my aunt's second marriage. Not as big Buckeye fan(atic) as the rest of my family. My brother has an serious man cave .....no bunker of Buckeye-dom at his ranch outside Seattle. My brother-in -law put his military retirement & savings into a bar with enough TV's and speaker systems to make the the local Best Buy Store envious, His bar is ground zero the town's scarlet and grey hordes on Game Day, where the phone is never answered between kick off and the final down. ( Sometimes like during today's game, I will auto dial the bar every 2-3 minutes just to spray spme lighter fluid on a heated atmosphere)
During my High School years, Woody Hayes used to annually show up during some awards assembly as a key note speaker, which was reminiscent of the opening scene of Patton where George C Scott strode out on the stage to give his speech. But in all honesty Woody was a pretty good motivational speaker; interesting and genuine, talking about hard work & studying. He rarely talked about football except as character anectdotes.
Amd of course as he finished our HS Band would always fire up the audience with the Buckeye Fight song.

Definitely TMI.......

Last edited:

Man this comment totally hits home. My best friend was a huge Art Schlichter guy, mostly because Ohio State seemed to be televised a lot. I remember rooting against him in the Rose Bowl game vs USC and Charles White. limited televised games was one of the primary reasons I grew up as a UCLA fan. Seemed it was the Bruins or the Trojans that made up a majority of the games we could watch. (a far cry from the 4 games I was watching at the same time on YouTubeTVs multi-screen option all day yesterday - if you are still watching on basic cable - you’re missing out)

I cannot believe how bad the coaching was at the end of that game for ND. They could have won the game by running the ball late and they opted to throw essentially giving OSU free timeouts. And that’s not even the worst… how in gods earth does ND only have 10 players on the field for the last 2 plays?!?! And that’s even after a timeout! ND handed OSU that W and I’m sick.

He’s been great and a very hard working kid. I didn’t see him at this level but he’s so strong and sure handed he is making all the plays. The kid I always liked was Badger (folsom) from ASU and right now he looks like a Sunday player. He has the entire package.
Brutal loss. Ohio State ran right where they had no d lineman. Didn’t happen by accident.

He’s been great and a very hard working kid. I didn’t see him at this level but he’s so strong and sure handed he is making all the plays. The kid I always liked was Badger (folsom) from ASU and right now he looks like a Sunday player. He has the entire package.
Brutal loss. Ohio State ran right where they had no d lineman. Didn’t happen by accident.

Badger was pretty darn good last night against USC. It was the Cam Skattebo show, with Badger being the 2nd offensive star.

Regarding the Buckeyes game, it was nice to see Kyle McCord come up with some huge throws and lead the offense to the game winning score. The dime he threw to Egbuka to get down the the one was clutch, as was the 4th and 7 throw to Flemming. Loved seeing Ryan Day all fired up about his teams toughness after the game.

I cannot believe how bad the coaching was at the end of that game for ND. They could have won the game by running the ball late and they opted to throw essentially giving OSU free timeouts. And that’s not even the worst… how in gods earth does ND only have 10 players on the field for the last 2 plays?!?! And that’s even after a timeout! ND handed OSU that W and I’m sick.
I did not understand that either…. ND was averaging like 5 yards a carry and needed to run out the clock…. Their insistence to pass made no sense….

Reactions: SJS Lord
Badger was pretty darn good last night against USC. It was the Cam Skattebo show, with Badger being the 2nd offensive star.

Regarding the Buckeyes game, it was nice to see Kyle McCord come up with some huge throws and lead the offense to the game winning score. The dime he threw to Egbuka to get down the the one was clutch, as was the 4th and 7 throw to Flemming. Loved seeing Ryan Day all fired up about his teams toughness after the game.
Skattebo is a stud! Fun watching him.

I get why he left CSUS for ASU, but I would have loved to see him remain with the Hornets. Great talent. Will be in NFL I believe.

I’m bummed he left too. Supposedly he only left cause Troy Taylor left.

It’s not like the old days, you can be seen and make it to the NFL from smaller programs. Marte Mapu was just drafted by the Patriots in the 3rd round and Elijah Dotson made the Chargers roster as an UDFA.

I would have liked to seen him spurn the FBS offers since none of those schools offered him out of HS and remain with the only program that believed in him. But alas he felt the grass was greener elsewhere. More power to him.

Not only do I believe Skat to be an NFL talent, I think Marshel Martin has a chance to make it too, along with possibly one or two of their lineman.

FWIW, the Hornets have 4 former players currently in the NFL. DaRon Bland, Marte Mapu, Elijah Dotson, and DeAndre Carter. While Bland transferred to Fresno State in 2020 (because the Hornets opted not to play that season) and Dotson transfered to Northern Colorado, I believe both earned degrees from Sac State before doing so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT