ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor has it (Acalanes division)

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Ashley Valenzuela of Kennedy of Fremont, with a 6-61 record the past three years, is the new Acalanes coach.

Any confirmation?

This is pretty amazing, really ... the word is that Chad Wellon was forced out after winning 44 games over the last two years, and applicants included Jon Sanders (former assistant at St. Mary's College, I believe), Augie Valdez (Amador Valley) and Sean Hisaka (JV coach). Presumably there were others.

I don't know Ashley, and I have no idea what the Kennedy of Fremont program was like, and she may have done a great job under the circumstances. But that's a pretty big leap from a school that doesn't have much investment in girls' basketball to Acalanes, which is expected to battle both Campo and Miramonte for the DFAL title.

I thought Chad did a wonderful job at Acalanes and thought his teams played very hard. With all their returners, I thought they could be a top 2 team in the DFAL. It's a shame that if in fact this is true, Acalanes, once again, lives up to the terrible LaMoRinda hype of not letting coaches coach. I can see if he was 6-61 after 3 years but the guy took his team to Norcals. Acalanes and it's parents deserve whatever they get. It's too bad cause it's the kids who are ultimately losing out.

You don't think gender played a role in this, do you? Sees like a lot of men and only one woman applied. I don't know Saunders, Valdez had a tough time at Amador (but I think is a great coach), and the JV coach should always get a shot at it given the tenure. In any case, we'll see how this plays out.

Reactions: Paytc
I thought Chad did a wonderful job at Acalanes and thought his teams played very hard. With all their returners, I thought they could be a top 2 team in the DFAL. It's a shame that if in fact this is true, Acalanes, once again, lives up to the terrible LaMoRinda hype of not letting coaches coach. I can see if he was 6-61 after 3 years but the guy took his team to Norcals. Acalanes and it's parents deserve whatever they get. It's too bad cause it's the kids who are ultimately losing out.

You don't think gender played a role in this, do you? Sees like a lot of men and only one woman applied. I don't know Saunders, Valdez had a tough time at Amador (but I think is a great coach), and the JV coach should always get a shot at it given the tenure. In any case, we'll see how this plays out.

I personally think they should have either kept Chad or hired Jon Sanders. I do think there should always be a woman in the mix when coaching girls basketball. But if a woman is not as qualified then one should be given an assistant coaches job. I am not too sure Acalanes were going to be able to grab the 2nd slot if Miramonte (who will reload) and Campolindo (who should be good the next two seasons) were in the same league as Acalanes. I also think Dublin High would be able to battle Acalanes for the 3rd slot. Now with this hire (someone not as familiar with the team or the league) it may push back all of the strides Chad and Acalanes was able to gain. But for the team's sake (young adult children) you can only hope for the best.

Acalanes doesn't have a great track record for picking coaches..... Mind you they only got 4th last year... worse than the year before with all returning starters. Does their inability to pick a good coach that can build a program start from the Athletic Director ????

I heard from the grapevine they had 2-3 parents on the hiring committee. Dublin is now in the EBAL now. So, yeah, they could have competed for a second spot. Campo is solid, but not sold on the coaching there.

I heard from the grapevine they had 2-3 parents on the hiring committee. Dublin is now in the EBAL now. So, yeah, they could have competed for a second spot. Campo is solid, but not sold on the coaching there.

Hey Acalanes was a pretty good team the past two season so you could be right.

I heard about there being a bit of re-construction of leagues for next season. How can we find out more so we can get an idea on what to expect? Will Miramonte still be there? I know many expect to see a big fall off with the graduation of Sabrina, Howard, and Delos Santos

But I think Kelly Sopak will be able to get the max out of the players that remain and might attract a few others to come help out. And in my opinion there is not a real big gap in one good girls team over another good girls team. And coaching could make the difference.

Last edited:
Chad finished 4th with 5 returning starters and it didn't look like his players improved very much from last year. Looks to me like the Campo players improved quite a bit from last year. IMO, Jon Sanders is head and shoulders over all these candidates, pretty dumb not to have hired him if he applied. He runs a club that could feed, played at St. Mary's and is a great guy.

IMO, Jon Sanders is head and shoulders over all these candidates, pretty dumb not to have hired him if he applied. He runs a club that could feed, played at St. Mary's and is a great guy.

Not to mention that Tracy Morris Sanders' daughter Samantha would have gone to Acalanes too -- and she's a worthy successor to the grand Morris sister tradition that produced three straight state titles for Scott Brown and company in the mid-'90s.

We probably should let things play out for the new coach. Not everything is or should be based on winning or losing. The DFAL, outside of Miramonte is a lessor league when comparing to the others. I would anticipate Miramonte slipping back in the state and national scene but should be a viable contender in their league. Campolindo, based on returners seems to be the odds on favorite. Perhaps Sue can coax the coach into making a trip to the 408 Mitty Way gym for a good ole fashion slap down.

Just so you get the information first hand the allegations that I was forced out are completely false.
I decided to step down to spend more time with my family and two young daughters and no other reason. For 3 years as the head coach at Acalanes I was "all in". My passion for the program to be successful started to consume my life so I had to take a step back and get my priorities in line which is my family.
I called my AD right after the season to let him know of my decision and to give them as much time as possible to find a replacement. He asked me in that conversation if I would reconsider my decision of stepping down. I had a great relationship with my AD and Admin. They were extremely supportive of our program. In fact I am attending the annual Acalanes boosters dinner this weekend which is hardly something one would do if you left on bad terms.

I know Acalanes parents have gotten a bad rap over the years but I can only speak on behalf of what I saw over a 3 year period. They were extremely supportive and volunteered a ton of time to make the program as successful as possible. I got along with the parents really well. Of course you will always have a few parents that may disagree with your philosophies or complain about playing time but that is anywhere you go. Parents are extremely passionate about their kids and if you cannot accept that than you should not be a head coach.

The toughest thing about my decision was leaving the kids I coached. A coach couldn't ask for a greater group of players. I was extremely proud of the success they had by getting to an NCS title game and back to back NORCAL appearances for the first time in a long while for the school. But all of that really paled in comparison to how I watched these kids progressed into confident young ladies through hard work, discipline , and team unity. That was what made it worthwhile for the coaching staff.
Acalanes will have another great year with a ton of high character kids still there. I wish the new coach nothing but the best and look forward to watching them play next season.

Chad Wellon

Ashley Valenzuela of Kennedy of Fremont, with a 6-61 record the past three years, is the new Acalanes coach.

Any confirmation?
Which includes not winning a league game in 3 years. Ok, I know a coach can only do so much with what he or she has to work with, but wouldn't you expect to see some signs of improvement in three years? I saw KF play a couple of times (not this last season, but the prior 2) and didn't see anything to suggest that the level of coaching was above the level of player talent. Makes me wonder what criteria the Acalanes administration applied and what motivated their decision.

My apologies to Chad for spreading the false rumor that he had been forced out. I had heard it from numerous sources, but clearly, those sources were not accurate.

Given the new league alignment -- Acalanes, Campolindo, College Park, Las Lomas, Miramonte and Northgate -- it should be an interesting year in the DFAL.

And as far as I know, Northgate does not have a coach in place, though they may have made a hire by now. (The Northgate boys' job just went to Ron Pangilinan, a long-time girls' coach at College Park and Las Lomas. He's been coaching the boys' JV at Bentley for the past four seasons.)

Jon Saunders is head and shoulders above the rest? He's never coached HS before so how can you say that he's head and shoulders above the rest? He coaches an AAU team..much different than coaching middle school, let alone high school. The thing that people don't realize is that AAU is hand picked teams where as most public high schools, you get what you get. I would like to see him at the HS level cause there is a shortage of good coaches and one would hope he would, given his background.

Jon Saunders is head and shoulders above the rest? He's never coached HS before so how can you say that he's head and shoulders above the rest? He coaches an AAU team..much different than coaching middle school, let alone high school. The thing that people don't realize is that AAU is hand picked teams where as most public high schools, you get what you get. I would like to see him at the HS level cause there is a shortage of good coaches and one would hope he would, given his background.
Yeah, he is head and shoulder. You don't just get who you get, you get players to want to come play for you. You don't think Sopak's club helped him get talent to Miramonte? Same for the talent that Thoms got at Campo. Running a club helps you get those players to come to the school you're coaching at. So yeah, a guy who lives in and knows Lamorinda and played D1 and has a club and is a great guy is a dream candidate and head and shoulders above the others.

Yeah, he is head and shoulder. You don't just get who you get, you get players to want to come play for you. You don't think Sopak's club helped him get talent to Miramonte? Same for the talent that Thoms got at Campo. Running a club helps you get those players to come to the school you're coaching at. So yeah, a guy who lives in and knows Lamorinda and played D1 and has a club and is a great guy is a dream candidate and head and shoulders above the others.
Chicken or the egg? The established coaches get the players to their club not the club getting the players to the coach. Big difference. Coaches like Phillips, Scheppler, Sopak seem to have a definite following of players, which is not a bad thing, it means they have a track record that continues to draw players and families to them.

I have not heard of Saunders but if he is a Lamorinda guy he must not be connected enough or convincing enough to land a job in his backyard.

Good luck to the new coach.

Chicken or the egg? The established coaches get the players to their club not the club getting the players to the coach. Big difference. Coaches like Phillips, Scheppler, Sopak seem to have a definite following of players, which is not a bad thing, it means they have a track record that continues to draw players and families to them.

I have not heard of Saunders but if he is a Lamorinda guy he must not be connected enough or convincing enough to land a job in his backyard.

Good luck to the new coach.

It's Sanders.

And at one time no one had ever heard of Sopak, Scheppler, and Steve Kerr as coaches. I have to agree fully with Bearlurker as I know Jon Sanders. And I know where his heart and commitment lys. He is currently very successful developing young boys and girls into confident and successful players. He also has played the game at the highest level. There is no doubt he would have been able to take the progress Chad started and gotten the program to the next level in a shorter time than most. He also is right in the back yard and has seen Campolindo and Miramonte and others which gives him a heads up on the new coach whose coming in from out of the area. Ultimately it will be up to the junior and seniors on the team to be leaders and take responsibility of getting the job done.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Sopek running a successful campaign at Cal Stars helped him at Northgate and now, even more so at Miramonte. I don't know anything about Sanders and from all i Know he could be a great coach. Campo coach has talent but in my honest opinion doesn't know how to develop it. His kids are great athletes and good IQ hoop players but I haven't seen much individual development since he first got there. Maybe he needs more time? I don't know. I guess my vision of a coach has lofty expectations. In my honest opinion, If I had to pick a couple programs based on developing talent, hands down, Mitty and Pinewood. Doc and Sue are head and shoulders above the rest. Yeah they get talented kids BUT their kids get better during the season.

I'm sure that Sopek running a successful campaign at Cal Stars helped him at Northgate and now, even more so at Miramonte. I don't know anything about Sanders and from all i Know he could be a great coach. Campo coach has talent but in my honest opinion doesn't know how to develop it. His kids are great athletes and good IQ hoop players but I haven't seen much individual development since he first got there. Maybe he needs more time? I don't know. I guess my vision of a coach has lofty expectations. In my honest opinion, If I had to pick a couple programs based on developing talent, hands down, Mitty and Pinewood. Doc and Sue are head and shoulders above the rest. Yeah they get talented kids BUT their kids get better during the season.

Norcal_Fan,

I agree with most of what you are saying. Most coaches don't develop individual players because of their egos. They are more concerned with how their system is working and making sure everyone knows who the boss is. Or winning games regardless of whether players are improving individually. Most don't see the need to put each player in a lane they can excel best in and develop them to their full potential.

That is why I wrote "Win Anyway" in an attempt to put the players and coaches on the same page. I wanted to give the coach and the players a bit of advice on both seeing the benefit of personal accountability with less ego.

I noticed you picked two pretty good programs. I wouldn't hesitate to include Miramonte and perhaps Eastside Prep. I think both coaches get the max out of the players they have, and both know a thing or two about developing players. I am sure we could come up with a few more. But the point is most are failing to properly develop players. That is why there is such a need for skill development programs and skill development coaches. And books and training needs for coaches and players to keep learning and developing themselves. Both are used by the professionals. Because some coaches are better than others. Some want to keep learning and realize the value of creating better players and better people.

I can't knock Thoms or Sanders because I have respect for what they are both trying to accomplish. Should they read "Win Anyway" if they haven't........ Yes (smile).

I still think Sanders would have been an excellent choice for Acalanes, but that is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
It's Sanders.

And at one time no one had ever heard of Sopak, Scheppler, and Steve Kerr as coaches. I have to agree fully with Bearlurker as I know Jon Sanders. And I know where his heart and commitment lys. He is currently very successful developing young boys and girls into confident and successful players. He also has played the game at the highest level. There is no doubt he would have been able to take the progress Chad started and gotten the program to the next level in a shorter time than most. He also is right in the back yard and has seen Campolindo and Miramonte and others which gives him a heads up on the new coach whose coming in from out of the area. Ultimately it will be up to the junior and seniors on the team to be leaders and take responsibility of getting the job done.
SMC is the highest level? I just think we are selling the new coach a little short. She has experience in HS athletics, which is much different than coaching your daughter and her friends in a middle school game. Perhaps they both are great coaches is all I am saying.

And yes to Nor Cal Mitty and Sue develops their players and in my opinion more than any high school program in the area. The success of Mitty is far more about development than acquiring talent.

SMC is the highest level? I just think we are selling the new coach a little short. She has experience in HS athletics, which is much different than coaching your daughter and her friends in a middle school game. Perhaps they both are great coaches is all I am saying.

And yes to Nor Cal Mitty and Sue develops their players and in my opinion more than any high school program in the area. The success of Mitty is far more about development than acquiring talent.

jayme911,

SMC was just the college Sanders attended. When I said highest level I was referring to his playing professional ball and being paid to do it.
And Sanders has coached a few high school games as well.

And as far as the incoming Acalanes coach goes I have never knocked her. I think it is fair to express a positive opinion of who would have probably been the best candidate based on the circumstance. The outside coach will have to take time to scout opponents and coaching styles to have a better idea on how to plan for them. Sanders knows a bit about the coaches and players in this area because he is based here. But sure most of us will be pulling for the incoming coach to do well. Who wishes bad upon anyone? I for one don't.

Sure Mitty and Sue Phillips has done a good job for quite some time. But there are other coaches doing a good job as well. And some are doing more with less.

Last edited:
My whole point was that you can't say that someone is head and shoulders above the rest when that person has NEVER coached a high school game. I wasn't aware he played in the NBA be even if he did, how does that translate to high school girls basketball? Will he teach fundamentals, will he only play zone of man? Will he trump winning over development? I don't know and I don't think you know either because again, he's never had a high school team. He has played at a high level which leads me to believe that he may have the tools or breadth of knowledge to do this, but again, have never seen him or his kids play.

I agree with what you're saying that Kelly gets the most out of his players BUT I don't think the proof is in the pudding that he develops players. A lot of his kids have personal trainers (I know Howard has a couple). His teams don't play man to man, they ONLY press teams that they can against. Shoot, Tom G, in close games that he's lost, is due to his stubbornness to not adjust. While I totally respect ANYONE who aspires or coaches ANY youth sport, there are aspects I don't respect...or call it a difference of philosophy. Doc and Sue are head and shoulders above the rest and the proof is in the pudding. They do win, but ALL of their players are fundamental and IQ is apparent. Just my opinion. also, don't know enough about Blythe to make a comment on his development or coaching. Just know he gets a lot with the little that he has. He must be doing something right!

Norcal_Fan,

Good points. Head and shoulders was never my words about any coach.
I expressed an opinion supporting Sanders as a good replacement for Chad without knocking anyone.

And from my experience with Kelly Sopak he understands player development. He doesn't treat every player as a number or cog in the system. Yet he is masterful in using average players and putting them is position to look and play much better than the talent and experience they possess.
Kelly recognizes talent and knows how to get the best out of them. He builds confident players.

The skill development is really on the players, especially if they are not getting enough of it from the coach. As great as many think Sabrina is had she gotten another coach lord only knows how much success she would have had, or just how well she would have developed. I sure know going to Los Lomas she would have taken a good share of beat downs, and probably would not have been as confident. But don't ask me ask Sabrina what she thought about the impact Kelly Sopak has made for her.

All good players seek outside skill development and work on their game outside of what their high school and/or AAU coaches give them.
You must take on personal accountability and ownership with regard to the development of your game and your life. I don't respect buck passing finger pointers. Or those who pass the blame on someone else. Sure politics and unfair practices such as playing favorites does happen. Coaches many times fail to deliver what each young player needs. But the players have to maintain a good attitude and be determined to put the work in over and above what a coach gives or doesn't give them.

In my opinion taking Miramonte to the Open championship and a top 10 national ranking was over achieving. Doc upsetting SMS was over achieving. Sue Phillips and Tom Gonsalves (both good coaches) were both upset especially based on the talent and athleticism each coach had. I'm pretty sure each of them will probably admit they could have done a few things differently. All coaches must continue to work to get better.

The point I'm making is we all may have our personal favorite players or coaches, but either you can coach or you can not. And either you can play or not. It's not about separating good coaches or taking cheap shots at coaches or players. Most will agree Doc, Tom ,Sue, and Kelly are all good coaches. Steve Pezzola is too, that's why Salesian upset Mitty and has had a lot of success under Steve.

Yes some are a bit better than others. And some develop players better than others. But I guarantee you if you ask players who have played for Doc, Sue, Kelly, and Tom there will be some who think the world of them and others who don't particularly care for them.

Last edited:
Miramonte does play man-to-man, though not all the time. This year, I think they pressed less than they have in the past, but they've always been versatile. (I coached against Kelly often enough to know that we were going to see different stuff pretty much every game.)

I think a lot of people underestimate Kelly's coaching, which is one reason why they lose. And as for individual development, remember that Chelsea Gray drove to Orinda from Stockton for individual workouts back in the day.

Finally, his players definitely get better. Look at his rotation this past year, and compare the abilities of the seniors to where they were as freshmen. The difference is pretty clear.

All that said, is he the perfect coach? Of course not. He's a very good high school and club coach, one of the best in the area, if not in the country. He makes mistakes, like everyone, and he's working at the high school and club level, so he's not spending 60 hours a week on it. But going 91-2 over the calendar year of April 2015 to April 2016 is pretty good ...

91 - 2 is a very good record. I assume that's Miramonte HS, plus the top Cal Stars team. It does point out however that our high school players are playing too many games - 93 in one year. Sometimes 5 games in a weekend (or more?). What are we doing to these kids?

more of a good thing is not necessarily better. too much of a good thing is definitely worse. with specialization, few good athletes have the advantage of cross-training in several sports, and within their chosen single sport, the workloads are increasing, downtimes shrinking. the result for survivors might be a higher level of play, but what is good for the sport and entertaining for us spectators might not be good for the kids.

Way too many games ... and it's true in every sport. But parents would much rather pay for tournaments than skill development, and kids don't want to practice at all ...

Try saying "We're going to have a summer basketball program and have 45 practices and play in three tournaments."

which brings up your suggestion about playing w the boys at the local playground. skill development by Darwin in a hostile environment (Dune?). probably helps entry if your twin brother is one of the better players, and vouches for you.

Last edited:
I think it's a shame that there are few kids that can play multiple sports and specialization is happening at such a young age. There are no longer any samplers (kids who try out multiple sports) because many parents (more often than not, who have NO clue about athletics) feel that if kids specialize early, they'll have a better advantage. If a kids is playing 93 games in a year, imagine the toll it takes on a body after 2-3 years when a girls body is developing. There are many documented studies about the disadvantages of single sport specialization and how specializing can lead to overuse injuries.

Clay, I'm not sure what the reaction would be....15 practices then a tourney? so one tourney every 3 weeks? Doesn't sound too bad..lol

Clay,

So very true ! Because many parents are trying to either live through their kids to gain the success they weren't able to accomplish themselves as a child. Or to brag about how good their kid is mainly because it's selfishly about them(the parent). Or they are misled into believing the myth that if they play in front of college scouts and college coaches (even with poor fundamentals, bad attitudes, and low basketball IQ's) they will get scholarship offers.

And it is true what Norcal_Fan said..... " because many parents (more often than not, who have NO clue about athletics....."

Many just focus on playing games regardless to whether the children are getting better as players and people (which is the ultimate goal).

Most (but not all parents) are ignorant on what it takes to get their child to become a better and more confident player.

And Clay your statement ....."Try saying "We're going to have a summer basketball program and have 45 practices and play in three tournaments"

They would only need the practices as opposed to the games if the practices were about skill development and game knowledge, not learning new inbound plays and a new press break. Or new pressure offense and defensive schemes. Most kids have the team concepts down. But every player even Steph Curry has to put in the individualized work to get better fundamentally. Or to master the position on the floor they will be playing.

Ultimately games are played for parents enjoyment, kids exploitation, Nike to sell more product, and club owners to maintain their Nike sponsorship and/ or build their brands.

And ultimately the kids are taking the long route to improvement unless their parents (which their are a few) are smart enough to supplement the games with time out for rest, skill/strength/knowledge development, and individualized instruction, geared to provide the skill and knowledge suited for the child's size, talent, and the most likely position(s) the child will play on the court.

What coaches are taking each player to the side to provide that type of instruction,encouragement, and support? Sure there may be a small few, but even they are not reaching every player. Name the kid(s) that are getting better just from playing a bunch of games?

Meanwhile parents are wondering why so many kids are getting unnecessary concussions and minor to severe knee and ankle among other injuries. Never taking the time out to understand there are multiple paths to success. And you have to do what is best for your child's safety, devlopment, and well being.

There is more than "one way"! Yes.........

You can "Win Anyway" that works best for your circumstance.

Last edited:
Which leads to another point: Parents want their kids to be seen, and coaches comply -- but I've said to more than a few parents that it does no good to be seen if you aren't able to display the skills necessary to impress anyone.

For example, any perimeter player needs to be able to shoot threes, and if you can't do that, wait until you can before you make your presence known.

The most important difference between girls' basketball and almost every other spot at the college level is that there are more D1 scholarships than there are D1 players. If you show up the summer before your senior year, have never been played a viewing period event before, and display the combination of size, athleticism and skills college coaches want, you will get a scholarship. It makes absolutely no difference if you didn't listen to the club coaches who kept saying "I'll get you in front of college coaches" when you were in eighth grade because the only thing that matters is if you're good enough prior to your senior year.

If your game is still in development, then you gain nothing by getting seen -- in fact, you lose ground, because coaches will say "Oh, I saw Olivia when she was a freshman -- not good enough." And many won't bother to look again.

Which leads to another point: Parents want their kids to be seen, and coaches comply -- but I've said to more than a few parents that it does no good to be seen if you aren't able to display the skills necessary to impress anyone.

For example, any perimeter player needs to be able to shoot threes, and if you can't do that, wait until you can before you make your presence known.

The most important difference between girls' basketball and almost every other spot at the college level is that there are more D1 scholarships than there are D1 players. If you show up the summer before your senior year, have never been played a viewing period event before, and display the combination of size, athleticism and skills college coaches want, you will get a scholarship. It makes absolutely no difference if you didn't listen to the club coaches who kept saying "I'll get you in front of college coaches" when you were in eighth grade because the only thing that matters is if you're good enough prior to your senior year.

If your game is still in development, then you gain nothing by getting seen -- in fact, you lose ground, because coaches will say "Oh, I saw Olivia when she was a freshman -- not good enough." And many won't bother to look again.

Good advice ! I've tried to explain these things also to several parents and children. Not many will listen to good rational advice. Can I share what you have said or quote you on it? (smile)

Clay,

So very true ! Because many parents are trying to either live through their kids to gain the success they weren't able to accomplish themselves as a child. Or to brag about how good their kid is mainly because it's selfishly about them(the parent). Or they are misled into believing the myth that if they play in front of college scouts and college coaches (even with poor fundamentals, bad attitudes, and low basketball IQ's) they will get scholarship offers. Can you cite the study? Can you link to any actual facts to support your OPINON?

And it is true what Norcal_Fan said..... " because many parents (more often than not, who have NO clue about athletics....." Please cite the study!

Many just focus on playing games regardless to whether the children are getting better as players and people (which is the ultimate goal). Again, please cite the study.

Most (but not all parents) are ignorant on what it takes to get their child to become a better and more confident player. Background please - where are your supporting facts?

And Clay your statement ....."Try saying "We're going to have a summer basketball program and have 45 practices and play in three tournaments" Aragon High School - 4 days a week of skill building with 1 game a week at Foothill. We are overenrolled.

They would only need the practices as opposed to the games if the practices were about skill development and game knowledge, not learning new inbound plays and a new press break. Or new pressure offense and defensive schemes. Most kids have the team concepts down. But every player even Steph Curry has to put in the individualized work to get better fundamentally. Or to master the position on the floor they will be playing.

Ultimately games are played for parents enjoyment, kids exploitation, Nike to sell more product, and club owners to maintain their Nike sponsorship and/ or build their brands. My daughter played Mission Rec and SJ Cagers AAU ball. She was never exploited - we couldn't keep her off the court. Also was an All American water polo player and swimmer. recruited in all three sports. Honestly, don't remember Oscar 'selling his brand" nor Mark Anger, nor her water polo coach. Where are you coming up with this stuff?

And ultimately the kids are taking the long route to improvement unless their parents (which their are a few) are smart enough to supplement the games with time out for rest, skill/strength/knowledge development, and individualized instruction, geared to provide the skill and knowledge suited for the child's size, talent, and the most likely position(s) the child will play on the court.

What coaches are taking each player to the side to provide that type of instruction,encouragement, and support? Sure there may be a small few, but even they are not reaching every player. Name the kid(s) that are getting better just from playing a bunch of games? I don't know, pick just about any guy who plays tons of pick up basketball, or girls playing in open gyms.

Meanwhile parents are wondering why so many kids are getting unnecessary concussions and minor to severe knee and ankle among other injuries. Never taking the time out to understand there are multiple paths to success. And you have to do what is best for your child's safety, devlopment, and well being.

There is more than "one way"! Yes.........

You can "Win Anyway" that works best for your circumstance.

Yes I can. It was said by Paytc. See " Win Anyway " case study 2015- present. And it's also common sense gained through observation and experience the best factual indicator.

There will always be enough talent in Lamorinda to keep all 3 schools competitive. The Acalanes girls have usually been pretty good, going back to Clay and Casey's championship teams there.
Coach Mike Wilson led them to a NORCAL appearance in 2011, and Coach Chris Russell led them to NORCAL in 2012, for back to back appearances(MAXPREPS). There was a rebuilding for two years, then I believe a transfer from Campo came in, and got them rolling again. Coach Wellon did a better job of getting the most out of his players though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT