ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State to build 25,000 seat football stadium

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
Excerpts from 2 different articles:

Sacramento State has announced plans to construct a new state-of-the-art football and multi-use stadium that will replace the current temporary stands at Hornet Stadium, providing the University with a venue to leverage its location in one of the top 20 media markets in the nation.

The multi-sport facility will be designed to host football, men’s and women’s soccer, and men’s and women’s rugby. The stadium will also host collegiate, professional and international competitions, NCAA championships, concerts, club sports and other events including Commencement and Convocation.

The campus has secured architecture firm Populous to design the stadium, which will be constructed at the site of the current Hornet Stadium. The stadium will accommodate a minimum of 25,000 attendees and feature a horseshoe design including student sections, premium seating and boxes. Renderings will be released in the coming weeks.

Wood and Orr added that corporate signage would replace the name Hornet Stadium on the venue.

The plan, the two campus leaders said, is to start taking down Hornet Stadium at the end of this football season with the aim of having the new facility ready by the start of the 2028 football season. Sacramento State would continue to play home games at Hornet Stadium, Orr said.

“It’s about time, right,” said Orr, the Sacramento-raised AD who was showing off his Hornets green tie. “It’s about time we build a stadium worthy of its campus and community. It’s time for something new. When President Wood first got here last year, he asked me what we need to be the best of the best in athletics. We need a new football stadium, new facilities, more athletic scholarships. The first step of the plan was to get a football stadium and today, we’re announcing that. That’s a tremendous, tremendous step.”

Officials said Kansas City-based sports architectural giant Populous would design the stadium, which would be built on the current stadium’s footprint and would “accommodate a minimum of 25,000 attendees.” Officials said the design would be in a horseshoe design that would include a “student sections, premium seating and boxes.”

Renderings were not released Thursday but were expected to be shown “in the coming weeks.”

It’s unclear what the price tag on the stadium would be, though Wood told Sac State employees that “there will be many announcements about the stadium in the coming months, including naming partners, co-tenants, entertainment partners, and other sources of funds associated with this capital project,” adding that the school had “multiple funding sources,” from money earmarked for student athletics, donor funds and sponsorships.

What about basketball?

Last year, Wood announced a similar project to replace the Nest, the school’s basketball arena that was 69 years old.

In November, Wood said funding has been approved to create an events center just beyond Hornet Stadium in The Well fitness and health facility that would replace the Nest.

^^ Time will tell whether or not shovels eventually hit the ground and the project completed, but this by far the most smoke and progress ever made toward a stadium project. Also, lots of talk for the past 2 weeks about the Hornets jumping from FCS to FBS and the timing of this announcement seems to support it. Looks like the Mountain West could possibly be a destination, but the SAC-12 has been pushing for PAC-12 membership. The 2028 upgrade timeline probably kills whatever long shot chance they had of achieving that goal, but if they do get these things done -- there should be more than a few conferences interested at that time in a top 20 media market.

We shall see. All I know is, this is GREAT news regardless.

I've been saying it for 25 years now. Sac State is a sleeping giant with the right vision and progress. It's in the heart of a sports-crazed metro area with only one professional team (2 for at least the next 3-4 years) and zero D1 FBS programs in the immediate area. Closest ones are UC Berkeley (80 miles from downtown), Stanford (120 miles from downtown) San Jose State (120 miles from downtown), and University of Nevada Reno (132 miles from downtown).

As we've seen with Sac's current 5-year run in the Big Sky, the valley is chock full of talent. Promoting to FBS with some brand new facilities and continued growth could keep a lot more of our local talent in house, along with drawing in more out of area talent (especially those from SoCal looking to move away from home).

this is great news. sac state has always been the most committed to local recruiting, and it will pay off in pac 12 championships once approved.

sacramento will get behind this team like none other.

sac state has always been the most committed to local recruiting.......AS USUAL INCORRECT.....Sac State began local recruiting heavily under Taylor/Richardson.....before that they were all over the place...Pat Hill said it best...no need to go more than miles to find the required talent..it's in the Valley

Reactions: aztecpadre
sac state has always been the most committed to local recruiting.......AS USUAL INCORRECT.....Sac State began local recruiting heavily under Taylor/Richardson.....before that they were all over the place...Pat Hill said it best...no need to go more than miles to find the required talent..it's in the Valley

heres there 2009 roster. long before taylor and richardson started coaching there.

almost every player on that team is local.

is that still too recent for you? here's 2003.

so whose wrong exactly? cause it sure isnt me.

i'll wait for your apology.

Last edited:
sure they have local kids...they are in Sac....but were those 3 star and above recruits? dont cherry pick, look up and down the years....

sure they have local kids...they are in Sac....but were those 3 star and above recruits? dont cherry pick, look up and down the years....

i can post every roster they’ve ever had if you want me to but that would be an unreadably long post.

but all the rosters would be similar. almost all local kids. and that’s why sac state deserves to be in the pac 12 and it’s a great thing for college football.

ive already provided evidence so now the burden of proof is on you. show me ONE sac state roster that isn’t almost entirely local recruits.

Good news. I like it. Did they decide on a hoop gym yet? That hornets nest is a complete joke.

Excerpts from 2 different articles:

^^ Time will tell whether or not shovels eventually hit the ground and the project completed, but this by far the most smoke and progress ever made toward a stadium project. Also, lots of talk for the past 2 weeks about the Hornets jumping from FCS to FBS and the timing of this announcement seems to support it. Looks like the Mountain West could possibly be a destination, but the SAC-12 has been pushing for PAC-12 membership. The 2028 upgrade timeline probably kills whatever long shot chance they had of achieving that goal, but if they do get these things done -- there should be more than a few conferences interested at that time in a top 20 media market.

We shall see. All I know is, this is GREAT news regardless.

I've been saying it for 25 years now. Sac State is a sleeping giant with the right vision and progress. It's in the heart of a sports-crazed metro area with only one professional team (2 for at least the next 3-4 years) and zero D1 FBS programs in the immediate area. Closest ones are UC Berkeley (80 miles from downtown), Stanford (120 miles from downtown) San Jose State (120 miles from downtown), and University of Nevada Reno (132 miles from downtown).

As we've seen with Sac's current 5-year run in the Big Sky, the valley is chock full of talent. Promoting to FBS with some brand new facilities and continued growth could keep a lot more of our local talent in house, along with drawing in more out of area talent (especially those from SoCal looking to move away from home).
Sac State is a hidden gem! Their current administration seems ambitious and forward-thinking, and you're absolutely right—the Sacramento region is a hotbed of talent. In fact, the City of Sacramento boasts 11 men currently playing in the NFL, tying with Long Beach for the California city with the most active NFL players.

With upgraded facilities, Sac State would be a great fit for either the Mountain West Conference (MWC) or the Pac-12. The Sacramento metro area is brimming with football talent, and if more local players stayed home, this region could truly make its mark on the national stage. Plus, Sacramento is a popular destination for SoCal and Bay Area athletes, making it easy for their families to attend games.

I agree the region needs an FBS program and its demographic/geographics are better suited for the FBS than the FCS.

not officially announced yet but they will end up playing at either golden 1 or arco (most likely golden 1 as arco is not a basketball venue any more(
WTF. You need to get to the bottom of this now. Not a basketball venue at Arco. Such BS. Many schools have wok rings in that arena. Get to the bottom of it Pillsbury, and I want answers by 2:38am

WTF. You need to get to the bottom of this now. Not a basketball venue at Arco. Such BS. Many schools have wok rings in that arena. Get to the bottom of it Pillsbury, and I want answers by 2:38am
im saying arco isn’t a basketball venue any more. when it was it was great but no basketball has been played there in years.

Nothing has been at Arco since 2022 when it was demolished.

I think this push to get Sacramento State into the Pac-12 is based more in fantasy than reality. I also think trying to force your way into a possible seat at the football table can spell doom for the rest of your athletics department.

Nothing has been at Arco since 2022 when it was demolished.

I think this push to get Sacramento State into the Pac-12 is based more in fantasy than reality. I also think trying to force your way into a possible seat at the football table can spell doom for the rest of your athletics department.
Agreed. It was decades for them before any real success when they went D1. A long and brutal road.
I say baby steps and go Mtn west route or stay where you are at. Be a power and enjoy a new stadium.
Regardless of there attempt to leap frog into a higher division they needed an upgraded facility.

The powers-that-be have discussed football-only conferences on occasion...

Maybe this will happen on the next major go-round of conference realignments occurs in a few years... If the NCAA had any guts, it WOULD happen, but they are too busy worrying about who gets a free hamburger or something.

It's time for a REAL governing body to separate the conferences and divisions sensibly.

Maybe that'll happen eventually, maybe pigs will operate space missions... I'm betting on the pigs, but there's hope...

Anyway, not just Sac State, but many schools that either have or are almost never competitive in major-conference football, could actually be placed in a conference that makes sense... Yeah, right.

No, it's based upon having a top 20 media market, several championship winning programs, and a budding football program. If they already had these facilities, they'd have been included before several of the recent invites based upon media market size alone.

As for your 2nd sentence, please explain how. The Hornets have been competitive and/or winning conference titles in a multitude of different men's and women's sports, including beating prior members of the Pac-12. Once they are in FBS and a conference such as PAC-12 or MW -- they'll be drawing in even more student athletes likely making them even more competitive.

Agreed. It was decades for them before any real success when they went D1. A long and brutal road.
I say baby steps and go Mtn west route or stay where you are at. Be a power and enjoy a new stadium.
Regardless of there attempt to leap frog into a higher division they needed an upgraded facility.

Decades for football. Because they lacked the facilities needed to attract top talent AND a committed president, AD/athletics department, and the right coaching. Had Robert S. Nelsen or Luke Wood, Mark Orr, Troy Taylor, and Kris Richardson all happened 25 years ago -- the success would have happened then. Despite the lack of facilities. They've already proved that. Adding the proper facilities to the mix just takes it to the next level. But other sports, such as baseball, have been successful for many years.

They get the new football stadium and events center built, it's not going to take decades to win in FBS. Not with a committed president, AD, and the fertile recruiting grounds of the central valley, bay area and SoCal.

Reactions: THEOC89
No, it's based upon having a top 20 media market, several championship winning programs, and a budding football program. If they already had these facilities, they'd have been included before several of the recent invites based upon media market size alone.

As for your 2nd sentence, please explain how. The Hornets have been competitive and/or winning conference titles in a multitude of different men's and women's sports, including beating prior members of the Pac-12. Once they are in FBS and a conference such as PAC-12 or MW -- they'll be drawing in even more student athletes likely making them even more competitive.

Decades for football. Because they lacked the facilities needed to attract top talent AND a committed president, AD/athletics department, and the right coaching. Had Robert S. Nelsen or Luke Wood, Mark Orr, Troy Taylor, and Kris Richardson all happened 25 years ago -- the success would have happened then. Despite the lack of facilities. They've already proved that. Adding the proper facilities to the mix just takes it to the next level. But other sports, such as baseball, have been successful for many years.

They get the new football stadium and events center built, it's not going to take decades to win in FBS. Not with a committed president, AD, and the fertile recruiting grounds of the central valley, bay area and SoCal.
this x 1000. i don't understand the random dedication people have to hating on sac state football when there the only program dedicated to providing opportunities for our local talent.

I get the media market size, but I haven't seen that move the needle much in pro sports so I don't think it is a major card to play for conference realignment. And yes facilities improvements help the overall brand, but at a 25k seat stadium, would it still be the smallest stadium in the Pac-12 or MW?

In regards to hurting overall athletics, I think a move up to the Pac-12 if they become a power conference will mean having to pony up a big number in NIL to be competitive. Is there money in and around athletics at Sac State to do that year after year?

I love what Sacramento State has done with athletics, especially in football the past few years. Been to a handful of games and it is a cool atmosphere.

Overall, I think a lot of these conference moves are made without much long tem outlook and think some schools will regret these moves in the next 5-10 years.

not officially announced yet but they will end up playing at either golden 1 or arco (most likely golden 1 as arco is not a basketball venue any more(
This comment shows that you have absolutely zero insight to what’s going on with the sac State basketball program. (You realize you can just not speak up when you don’t know what you are talking about?)

Trying to insinuate some sort of announcement is eminent about playing their home games at Golden1 or Arco is laughable, at best.

First, the old Arco Arena building doesn’t even exist, so yeah, “most likely” (your words) not gonna play there🤦🏻‍♂️

Do you have any understanding of how much it cost to use G1C? What about the complexities that Big Sky Games must occur or specific days of the week (ie .. Thurs/Sat)? I can see it now, the NBA will make sure the Kings don’t play any home games on Thursday or Saturdays from December through February every year. And what about sold out concerts, Disney on Ice, and Rodeos one may ask? “Not on Saturday nights in the spring, we’ve got a crowd of “hundreds” to watch the Hornets basketball team”. Hosting a special game versus UC Davis once a year at G1C? Sure. 15 times a year as a home venue (Or 30 when you include the women’s games)? Please! Not a chance in the world. 🤣🤣

For those wanting to know what’s actually going on….Proposed plan is for both Hornet basketball teams to move their home games to a newly created arena within The Well, on campus. There are still some concerns and issues to iron out. Permanent locker rooms, video rooms, training facilities, and the sort are a few of the primary things needing to be sorted. There are also issues as it relates to the actual games such as ingress and egress for fans, which is a concern; as well as concession areas. The Well is a student use facility, so you can’t just cut access for students on game nights. Lastly, basketball offices are on the opposite side of campus, so it’s not a great solution yet - but it’s better than playing in a place that doesn’t exist anymore. 🤡

Last edited:
Apparently Vivek has offered up Golden1 to Sac St at a heavy discount. I still don’t see how it would be feasible for a college team to play their full time, with the tight scheduling guidelines in place by college conferences. I’m unaware of any professional arenas sharing with a College team on a full time basis. Seems more likely some sort of shared schedule where certain games could be held at G1C.

That said, many of the movers and shakers in the region are lining up to support. Bottom line - this Sac St to FBS seems to be gaining some steam - let’s hope to keeps progressing.

Reactions: RLS13
I’m unaware of any professional arenas sharing with a College team on a full time basis. Seems more likely some sort of shared schedule where certain games could be held at G1C.

Yeah, that happens a bit more with football, such as the Hurricanes sharing Hard Rock Stadium with the Dolphins.

I know Marquette shares with the Milwaukee Bucks, St. John's with the NY Knicks, and Georgetown with the Wizards --- but exactly how often I do not know.

I think this is just a temporary stop gap solution until they can get a viable on-campus facility built (beyond the already announced Well improvements). And from what I read, I believe it only applies to conference games for both men's and women's basketball.

Cool thing for students is, G1C is only 6-7 miles from campus and the light rail gold line runs right to DOCO. So if student interest grows, there will be a way for them to attend games other than having to travel by car/bus/uber/lyft.

Can't agrue against the NIL money coming in. I still think using G1C has a lot of pitfalls based on conference schedule and how often that lines up with the Kings schedule.

They are lining themselves up well to be included, but I still stand that long term, I think it will hurt the overall athletics department long term. And this isn't just Sacramento State. I think a lot of schools will have some regret over the next 5-10 years.

Can't agrue against the NIL money coming in. I still think using G1C has a lot of pitfalls based on conference schedule and how often that lines up with the Kings schedule.

They are lining themselves up well to be included, but I still stand that long term, I think it will hurt the overall athletics department long term. And this isn't just Sacramento State. I think a lot of schools will have some regret over the next 5-10 years.
The thing about the G1C that is tough is you have an average team that draws sub 1K fans and you put them into a 15k arena. It's like watching the state champ games but a lot worse and I would argue the players would rather have a cozy 3k seat on campus arena that looks somewhat full and has some energy. The only local college games that draw any fans at G1C for college is when you have a 2 game lineup with a couple marquee games.

I'm sort of chuckling during all of this. Sac state didnt have 2 nickels for decades and now is flush with cash. really?

The thing about the G1C that is tough is you have an average team that draws sub 1K fans and you put them into a 15k arena. It's like watching the state champ games but a lot worse and I would argue the players would rather have a cozy 3k seat on campus arena that looks somewhat full. The only games that draw any fans at G1C for college is when you have a 2 game lineup with a couple marquee games.

I'm sort of chuckling during all of this. Sac state didnt have 2 nickels for decades and now is flush with cash. really?
As fun as Big Sky basketball is, I think you would get a lot more people into GIC to watch Gonzaga, SDSU and Utah St over the Montana's and Dakota's.

I agree how fast this thing is taking off, is never ceases to amaze me how powerful boosters (money!!!) can be in college sports to make things happen.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Be great if this happens. But long term sustainability and overall health of the entire athletic department could be dicey.

I get the ever changing dynamics of college sports and no one wants to be left behind, but maybe sit back and see where things play out the next few years. There most likely will be more changes and the landscape will continue to evolve.

Be great if this happens. But long term sustainability and overall health of the entire athletic department could be dicey.

I get the ever changing dynamics of college sports and no one wants to be left behind, but maybe sit back and see where things play out the next few years. There most likely will be more changes and the landscape will continue to evolve.
Agree. Seems like you are in the market for a honda accord and then all of a sudden you feel that you could be driving a Range Rover. I'm not sold on this being a great move. Sorry too all you hornets alumni but lets not forget..... It's Sac State. Stingers up. C'Mon people. Shake yourself. :)

The thing about the G1C that is tough is you have an average team that draws sub 1K fans and you put them into a 15k arena. It's like watching the state champ games but a lot worse and I would argue the players would rather have a cozy 3k seat on campus arena that looks somewhat full and has some energy. The only local college games that draw any fans at G1C for college is when you have a 2 game lineup with a couple marquee games.

Playing games against Gonzaga, San Diego State, Fresno State, will bring out more than a few hundred fans.

That tribal money!

This is what can happen when you hire the right people, build a winning program in a sports hungry metro area as big as SAC, then hint at moving to the highest level of collegiate sports. Of course lots of people are going to be interested that weren’t previously. Also, lots of folks from the Bay and LA have moved here over the past 5-10 years that are accustomed to having access to these types of things.

As for your G1C comment, sure, the basketball teams won’t be selling out there, or coming remotely close to it, but when recognizable programs start coming through town, they’ll draw some fans. I would ignore the sub-1K thing since that gym and Big Sky opponents aren’t going to draw $#/t.

Reactions: BigMann08
The Pac12 is a great move! It could keep many kids from flocking to Boise, Washington State, Fresno State, Oregon State etc.

San Diego State will be tough by most kids don't want to be in Corvallis, Pullman, Fresno, etc....

Reactions: ThunderRam
but I still stand that long term, I think it will hurt the overall athletics department long term. And this isn't just Sacramento State. I think a lot of schools will have some regret over the next 5-10 years.

You keep saying this but aren’t providing reasons why. Furthermore, why is it that there are a myriad of other FBS athletic departments not hurt long term over it? Why is Sac State so prone versus other programs such as Fresno, San Diego, and SJ State?

The Pac12 is a great move! It could keep many kids from flocking to Boise, Washington State, Fresno State, Oregon State etc.

San Diego State will be tough by most kids don't want to be in Corvallis, Pullman, Fresno, etc....

Yeah, I’m not getting all the naysaying over this. Clearly the university sees it as a positive. I don’t see how it’s a bad thing at all. And if somehow the naysayers are right and it doesn’t work out (assuming they can even make the jump and build the facilities) what does it cost any of us? There’s no losing for sports fans here.

Keeping more top level student-athletes at home is a good thing. So is bringing in more marquee named opponents.

None of these facility improvements were happening staying at the FCS level. They weren't going to happen (at least to this proposed degree) staying at the FCS level. But if this move falls flat and fails in 5-10 years -- the FCS and Big Sky will still be there. And by that time the Hornets flagship programs will own even more distinctive advantages over everyone else in the field.

I think some people forget that back in the mid-90's Boise State was once a member of the FCS and Big Sky. Why is it that the move was good for them but such a low success thing for Sac State? Someone needs to explain that to me. The population and market size of Boise ain't close to metro SAC. And neither is the hunger for top level sports.

Last edited:
Many local athletes pass over Sac State because facilities, division, and league affiliations are horrific. The university needs facility upgrades. With upgraded facilities, they're going to want to compete against Fresno, State, San Jose State, San Diego State, Boise etc.

Given proximity , these schools are more natural partners. The FCS schools are not natural partners. We can compete with Fresno, San Jose and San Diego and Reno.

Reactions: aztecpadre
You keep saying this but aren’t providing reasons why. Furthermore, why is it that there are a myriad of other FBS athletic departments not hurt long term over it? Why is Sac State so prone versus other programs such as Fresno, San Diego, and SJ State?
I think UCONN struggled with this when they left the Big East in a football driven move and turned it around (with baskeball) by going back to the Big East. Probably the best example of buyer's remorse when it comes to conference realignment.

I think schools like Maryland leavaing the ACC is another example of a school hurting their brand.

And my issue with Sacramento State is they seem to be in a good spot with their athletics (from an outside perspective) and they are potentialy jumping two levels to the Pac-12 whereas the other schools would be jumping one level. And I'm not saying those schools you mentioned aren't open to some of the same issues. They are. I just don't get Sac State trying to force their way to the table when we don't know what the table looks like and if they will keep having the resources to stay at that table.

Again, I would be a huge fan if this move works out. It would be great to have another local program in a major conference. I just think it has pitfalls that many are glossing over.

jumping to the PAC 12 is just really jumpin go to the Mountain West basically which is the next step for them anyways

jumping to the PAC 12 is just really jumpin go to the Mountain West basically which is the next step for them anyways
Its a massive leap still. I agree with Streak.
1. Going from FCS to FBS factor 1.0
2. Going from Big Sky to Pac 12 anote 1.0, which is weaker than the old Pac 12 but light years better than Big Sky.

baby steps people

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT