ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Cathedral 2018 Football Schedule

Thoughts on Irish turn-out for the 2018 season?
I'm not sure right now. As for having no JV's, I can only speculate that it may be more efficient to have sophs, juniors and seniors on the varsity and keep a separate frosh team. That should increase the varsity roster just by the number of players eligible. In the early 90's, they had a frosh/soph team and later on, brought back a frosh team. Of course, the coach has to keep a positive spin on it all saying on Twitter "We're building a team!"
What else I'm told is that they want to avoid a repeat of last year when they had to drop the JV's due to injuries.
The only roster I've seen is from MaxPreps but that's not official.

Last edited:
Coach Barry will need to get creative if thats what the roster is comprised of. Sophomores will lack size and strength to go against juniors and seniors. Its too bad Bryce is only concentrating on hoops. He's a dynamic athlete and no doubt would be an exciting read-option QB with Speedy and Levar as the primary skill guys.

Reactions: Scott2138
Coach Barry will need to get creative if thats what the roster is comprised of. Sophomores will lack size and strength to go against juniors and seniors. Its too bad Bryce is only concentrating on hoops. He's a dynamic athlete and no doubt would be an exciting read-option QB with Speedy and Levar as the primary skill guys.

I watched Bryce rip up teams his freshman year, they should have put him on varsity with his speed balance and power that year. As it is, his brother concentrated on football at Serra, and there are no plans for Byrce to put on pads to play football since he lays it all out in basketball. But I agree he and speedy would be quite an offensive threat.

I watched Bryce rip up teams his freshman year, they should have put him on varsity with his speed balance and power that year. As it is, his brother concentrated on football at Serra, and there are no plans for Byrce to put on pads to play football since he lays it all out in basketball. But I agree he and speedy would be quite an offensive threat.
They would need a good line in order to be a good offensive threat

Seems wierd since they had 35 frosh on roster last season, they couldnt get 65% retention which would be about 23 kids. Thats should about be your goal.

Seems wierd since they had 35 frosh on roster last season, they couldnt get 65% retention which would be about 23 kids. Thats should about be your goal.
I asked about the turnout. Haven't heard back yet. The frosh didn't have much luck with their two pre-season games being canceled last year.

Last edited:
Not good at all when you consider the southern schools have three full teams composed of between 150 and 175 guys. Not to mention great facilities and big budgets. The WCAL imbalance persists and actually may be getting worse.

Not good at all when you consider the southern schools have three full teams composed of between 150 and 175 guys. Not to mention great facilities and big budgets. The WCAL imbalance persists and actually may be getting worse.

This isnt any fault on the SF schools. The facts show there are less and less kids (families) in SF. Millennials dont have the urge to be parents. The families have moved out of the city. If you want your kids to come the city for to school youre going to send them to SI or those $40,000/yr schools like University, Stuart Hall, Drew, Lick, etc. If you want particular athletes to come to SH or Riordan from out of the area you're going to have to provide an incentive. School pride and tradition is not a selling point anymore unfortunately.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
This isnt any fault on the SF schools. The facts show there are less and less kids (families) in SF. Millennials dont have the urge to be parents. The families have moved out of the city. If you want your kids to come the city for to school youre going to send them to SI or those $40,000/yr schools like University, Stuart Hall, Drew, Lick, etc. If you want particular athletes to come to SH or Riordan from out of the area you're going to have to provide an incentive. School pride and tradition is not a selling point anymore unfortunately.

Good points. And they tend to confirm the increasing WCAL imbalance, at least on the football field. The league needs to address the situation.

This is an old post, but it truly tell the truth in the fact SHC has not vision to correct their challenge,

With Riordan upgrading their Gym last year and bring successful in their Capital Campian on starting their redo of their BB and FB. The line has been drawn. Every parent who wants the son to succeed in athletes is choosing Riordan.

This is an old post, but it truly tell the truth in the fact SHC has not vision to correct their challenge,

With Riordan upgrading their Gym last year and bring successful in their Capital Campian on starting their redo of their BB and FB. The line has been drawn. Every parent who wants the son to succeed in athletes is choosing Riordan.
Bull-ma-nu-re. (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap).
How in the world would you know how SHC is addressing their situation?

Do an A-B comparison of all sports and see who has been dominant.

Also, choosing a City school for basketball is not a "toss-up". The best choice for hoops - boys or girls - is Sacred Heart Cathedral. They had the gym floor re-done and it looks fantastic. Even rubbit-5 will like it.

Last edited:
So of the 3 SF WCAL schools which one would you send your son to football, basketball, baseball?
I'd have to say in respect to facilities SHC would be last choice for FB, while basketball would be a toss up as
personal logistics and preferences. Baseball not as big a draw sport at least in the SF schools compared to southern WCAL schools. It has been of concern how far the 3 SF schools have dropped in their ability to be competitive in football in recent years. Will the trend continue? are the SF schools resigned to dropping to 2 teams, JV and varsity as simply not enough players? [while the stronger programs are actually cutting players to keep teams to a maximum number of players]. Consider DLS has a student body similar to the 3 SF schools and has 80-90 players on varsity yearly and large frosh and JV teams as well - why the huge disparity?

Rmbr, gotta say comparing DLS to the City WCAL schools is comparing apples to oranges. First of all, DLS is in a suburban high school and its student population is 1,000+ all male. Riordan, SI and SHC are inner city high schools. Riordan is approx 700 boys and the same for SI and SHC if you were to split their student population in half. DLS attracts young men as far north as Vallejo, as far east as Antioch, as far south as Pleasanton and as far west as Oakland/Richmond. SI and Riordan field healthy rosters at all levels if you were to compare them to other inner city teams (I.e. Bishop O'Dowd, St. Mary's Berkley, Salesian, etc) . The largest roster of these three schools is 40 (50+ for playoffs) at BOD last year. St. Mary's and Salesian fielded teams with 30+ players on its varsity. Riordan frosh had a competitive season beating Serra, SHC, Mitty and tying Bellarmine. Crusader Frosh teams the past 5 years have averaged 50 players on the roster, with JVs averaging 35 and Varsity at 40+. SI similar to Riordan and SHC below both schools.

Good info Jordan & know a direct comparison to DLS is not a "level playing field" so to speak.
DLS is the only show for a much bigger area to draw from, similar if there were only one large parochial school in SF. In covering FB though for many years the drop in players & interest in the 3 SF's has been drastic, esp. when they start discussions of dropping one of the 3 level teams due to lack of players altogether. I remember times when S.I. and Riordan had powerhouse teams with large rosters [SHC not so much] and all I can think is "what the heck happened?". Did the concussion hysteria have that much affect with parents prohibiting their boys from playing FB at any level or steering them into different sports such as lacrosse, etc. As we've discussed last season the WCAL which used to seemingly have 3 tiers now is 2 tiers with SF, Serra, VC & Mitty at the top and the 4 other teams at the bottom with a large gap in numbers and talent in between. When you think that both Serra & SF won state titles last season and then think of the 3 SF school teams the gap is quite large [sad..]

Bellarmine, though down a bit recently, should never be woeful. The history, tradition and sheer size of Bellarmine (1,600 boys) ought to make sure of that. I would include the Bells with the other four southern schools in that upper WCAL tier. If you want to get really technical, you could say the WCAL has lately divided into three tiers, with VC, SF and Serra at the top, Mitty and Bellarmine in the middle and the three SF schools at the bottom. But those top two groups are probably going to be fluid over time. The three SF schools are indeed in a different category. SHC, which did not return to WCAL football for many years for reasons that remain today, simply cannot compete on anything close to a strong, regular basis due to a lack of facilities and other negative factors. Riordan has its own issues but that new field and other improvements should be helpful. SI does its own thing and seems to be more than happy with its overall athletic program. The administration is not obsessed with its football program. It simply is what it is. SI is much more a suburban entity than either Riordan or SHC. Its enrollment and demographics indicate that. Supposedly, the WCAL has been examining the question of competitive balance but, as of right now, solutions (assuming there are any) have not been made public. Throughout the region, both public and private/parochial schools are seeing declines in the size of football rosters. The reasons are well-known: Worries about concussions and other injuries; demographic changes; and, in some cases, a shift in talent toward the private/parochials in the Bay Area generally.

I think the Col would beg to differ putting the Bells in the bottom 4. Lol!
I agree with Rabbit5 as I do not think football will be going away any time soon at SI or Riordan...And the players that are on the rosters are working hard and enjoy playing. It is what it is as the teams strive to be competitive in league. One thing if the SF teams were getting annihilated in non-league play as well, but you are not seeing it - unless you go up against a Central Catholic or DLS...
Cost of living and demographics are the key reasons you are seeing the decline in numbers/participation from the SF schools. And the better multi-sport athletes are sticking to their other sports. (I.e. Je'Lani Clark and Ugbaja from Riordan and Monroe from SHC)
All is not lost on inner city football as witnessed in seeing State Titleist Galileo High last season and continued success at McClymonds and Bishop O'Dowd of Oakland. But, none of these teams compete in the mighty WCAL.

Last edited:
Very good insight from both colhenry & jordan. No one likes blow-outs & its not good for the sport or league, so improvement in the weaker teams is crucial (other than adding new teams to the league & possible dividing into divisions such as the PAL "Bay, Ocean & Lake". I like to root for the underdog,
But seeing a team go winless or 1-win in league year after year will demoralize even the most loyal fan. Hoping to see a more competitive league this season at the lower tier..

Very good insight from both colhenry & jordan. No one likes blow-outs & its not good for the sport or league, so improvement in the weaker teams is crucial (other than adding new teams to the league & possible dividing into divisions such as the PAL "Bay, Ocean & Lake". I like to root for the underdog,
But seeing a team go winless or 1-win in league year after year will demoralize even the most loyal fan. Hoping to see a more competitive league this season at the lower tier..

Call me crazy (not out of the question much of the time) but I could see Marin Catholic (essentially an independent now in football only and perhaps even Sacred Heart Prep or Kings Academy) joining the WCAL for football only in a PAL-style "Bay-Ocean" situation. Five-team brackets that would be tweaked at the end of each season based on strength and future indications. Four actual league games would not be a great setup (six non-league games might be a daunting scheduling problem). But equity arrangements are at least a thought.

I think colhenry may be onto something.
I like his idea & schools he mentioned. It's too bad Palma is so damn far away, always liked following them.

So of the 3 SF WCAL schools which one would you send your son to football, basketball, baseball?
I'd have to say in respect to facilities SHC would be last choice for FB, while basketball would be a toss up as
personal logistics and preferences. Baseball not as big a draw sport at least in the SF schools compared to southern WCAL schools. It has been of concern how far the 3 SF schools have dropped in their ability to be competitive in football in recent years. Will the trend continue? are the SF schools resigned to dropping to 2 teams, JV and varsity as simply not enough players? [while the stronger programs are actually cutting players to keep teams to a maximum number of players]. Consider DLS has a student body similar to the 3 SF schools and has 80-90 players on varsity yearly and large frosh and JV teams as well - why the huge disparity?

SHC would see a big improvement in football with AD's who emphasize football instead of girls volleyball and girls basketball. Right now, the Irish are the City's best in baseball and will be in soccer. SHC also has the league's premiere basketball venue.

The school has spent $1.3 million to SF Rec & Park for improvements to Lang Field nearby so they can have the park open longer and use it for practice and it's currently (2022) ready.

Update 2022: For baseball, Daly City has a deal with SHC that will renovate Marchbank Park with new stands, facilities, a turf field and will be a great addition to the stable of home fields and practice areas for the Irish.

Basketball won't do squat until they get a coach.

Last edited:
SHC would see a big improvement in football with AD's who emphasize football instead of girls volleyball and girls basketball. Right now, the Irish are the City's best in baseball and will be in soccer.

The school has spent $1.3 million to SF Rec & Park for improvements to Lang Field nearby so they can have the park open longer and use it for practice. I thought it would be ready by next season (and it still may) but 2020 looks more realistic.

Yes this is in the works and will greatly enhance the field issues at SHC. This 1.3 milllion money will be spent entirely on the brand new multi-use synthetic field with the help of Park and Rec. This kind of makes up for the loss of the Presidio field bid to University and other schools in 2010 where SHC spent lots of money and volunteer work fixing the field thinking they would gain exclusive use of the field from the Park and Rec. There is also talks of a Phase 3 development in 2020 or 2022 of possibly adding a roof top field of some sort combined with a building remodel to support sports like soccer etc. This roof top field will be similar like what Urban High School just recently did. SHC hired the same architect for upcoming discussions. We will see how it plays out in the future but just gaining Lang Field for some exclusive use next to the school is huge for SHC in attracting athletes.

Last edited:
Yes this is in the works and will greatly enhance the field issues at SHC. This 1.3 milllion money will be spent entirely on the brand new multi-use synthetic field with the help of Park and Rec. This kind of makes up for the loss of the Presidio field bid to University and other schools in 2010 where SHC spent lots of money and volunteer work fixing the field thinking they would gain exclusive use of the field from the Park and Rec. There is also talks of a Phase 3 development in 2020 or 2022 of possibly adding a roof top field of some sort combined with a building remodel to support sports like soccer etc. This roof top field will be similar like what Urban High School just recently did. SHC hired the same architect for upcoming discussions. We will see how it plays out in the future but just gaining Lang Field for some exclusive use next to the school is huge for SHC in attracting athletes.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAlegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0hIaytsYRrqFe-kByHV3Uf

Irish scrimmage at Jefferson August 17th at 7pm. Balboa and Lincoln are the other teams.

Last edited:
This kind of makes up for the loss of the Presidio field bid to University and other schools in 2010 where SHC spent lots of money and volunteer work fixing the field thinking they would gain exclusive use of the field from the Park and Rec.

Scotty

Just an FYI, the Presidio is not within SF PARK and REC jurisdiction. That was all the US ARMY then the Presidio Trust. I know this because I used to work at the Presidio Trust. We were the overseer of the facility at the Presidio. I was a project manager also involved in facilities department. When the bid to open up went out, I recused myself from the process so it would not look like a conflict of interest. Once the bids were made the committee chose the best fit for the field.

SHC dropped the ball in 1994, they were offered an exclusive contract by the US Army which still was in control of the Presidio and would have had an exclusive 50 year lease on the field at the Presidio. The principal at the time turned it down. There were some financial inclusions and also had to be open certain days for the residents of the Presidio.

Last edited:
This kind of makes up for the loss of the Presidio field bid to University and other schools in 2010 where SHC spent lots of money and volunteer work fixing the field thinking they would gain exclusive use of the field from the Park and Rec.

Scotty

Just an FYI, the Presidio is not within SF PARK and REC jurisdiction. That was all the US ARMY then the Presidio Trust. I know this because I used to work at the Presidio Trust. We were the overseer of the facility at the Presidio. I was a project manager also involved in facilities department. When the bid to open up went out, I recused myself from the process so it would not look like a conflict of interest. Once the bids were made the committee chose the best fit for the field.

SHC dropped the ball in 1994, they were offered an exclusive contract by the US Army which still was in control of the Presidio and would have had an exclusive 50 year lease on the field at the Presidio. The principal at the time turned it down. There were some financial inclusions and also had to be open certain days for the residents of the Presidio.
Unfortunately, they have a history of turning things down. Guess who turned down all that real estate on Sunset Boulevard?

Last edited:
How did SHC look in their scrimmage?
Not bad. There were some good defensive players out there. Anthony Heard played well on both sides of the ball. Another RB wearing 41 had some speed also.

The QB's have good arms but they will miss Will Irons. Jefferson's QB has a good arm. He nailed a few 40-yard bombs against Lincoln.

The official roster still isn't out but they posted the team picture showing 45 players.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan

Scotty

Yes. SHC adminstration DROPPED the ball in late 90s. SHC did all that work and University came in with a great plan and lobbying (spearheaded by Alderson and his connections). SHC admin put together a very poor RFP and assumed they had inside shot and played by the rules. Kudos to University who took advantage of SHC naivity and took backdoor avenue to secure site with The Trust. SHC didnt even take advantage of their own lobbying platform of Alioto and Jordan people. The administration refused to play hardball and got caught with their pants down. Set SHC athletics back a couple generation of athletes.

Good for current admin team for building a respectable endowment and secure a deal with City for Lang/Margaret Hayward. This will be a big help for their football team. They will also be strong in lacrosse and soccer. Baseball still on short end, but at least lower teams can practice there.

Last edited:
CityVibes

Lower teams for baseball will not get use of Hayward after the project completion because my understanding is as like Kimbell, South Sunset and others in the City hardball restricted to youth under 12 will remain at Lang after the rennovations.

Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT