ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Cathedral Varsity Basketball Schedule

Bryce is apparently a darn good football player as well - heard he scored three TDs vs Riordan freshman in 20-19 SHC win.

Emmet Neal is looking good as well - I've seen him up close and personal recently working out for his AAU team. He's slasher not a back to the basket big or exclusively 3 point outside shooter so it'll be interesting to see how he's used at the high school level.

Emmett I believe has good bloodlines. His uncle I think is Marcel Neal who went to SI and played at SF State back in the 90s. I could be wrong with that info. Marcel was an exciting heat check guy on a fun SI team that had Whitehead and Olshansky. He was wire-y but made pretty much anything from beyond the arc.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
If this board ever feels the need to bump their web traffic, all they have to do is make sure "Sacred Heart" is in the subject of every post :)

No, I'm not bashing the Irish, just making an observation.

Emmett I believe has good bloodlines. His uncle I think is Marcel Neal who went to SI and played at SF State back in the 90s. I could be wrong with that info. Marcel was an exciting heat check guy on a fun SI team that had Whitehead and Olshansky. He was wire-y but made pretty much anything from beyond the arc.

His dad ain't shabby himself. An under-sized post player for Mission HS back in early 90's. Nice to see all the kids growing up and playing HS now..

Thanks everyone for the info...SHC has some good guards but they need a big man too...Hopefully they will get one or two 6'6 or taller next year. Carter and Pardini will have to do this year.

Last edited:
SHC will be solid. I do know they will run alot, and play tough defense. They will be undersized but athletic and I could see opposing pgs having trouble against various presses which will happen most of the game.

I'm keeping an eye out for a roster. The varsity already had two scrimmages. One with McClymonds and another with Berkeley. I'll see them at the Alumni game but that's never been a measurement of how good they'd be during the season.

All WCAL teams are in action tonight except for SHC. HMB vs SI will probably be the best of the lot.

I'm keeping an eye out for a roster. The varsity already had two scrimmages. One with McClymonds and another with Berkeley. I'll see them at the Alumni game but that's never been a measurement of how good they'd be during the season.

I just noticed they posted their roster online at shcathletics.com. Won't ruin the surprises by stating who is / who isn't listed on their roster ;-).

I just noticed they posted their roster online at shcathletics.com. Won't ruin the surprises by stating who is / who isn't listed on their roster ;-).

I'll spoil it.

Not sure where the rebounds are going to come from this year. They do gain a little bit of athleticism in Watkins, Neal, Monroe. I am hoping Melo puts together a senior year as his big bro did. Hes the leader now.

Well I know Hollins isn't there. Here's hoping Pardini spent some time in the weight room.

VARSITY

1 Jordan Verador Guard Sr 6'
3 Gary Hudson Guard Jr 5'9"
5 Romello Dunbar Guard Sr 5'9"
10 Ademir Vila Guard Sr 5'9"
11 Amin Olgesby Guard Jr 6'2"
15 Bryce Monroe Guard Fr 5'10"
20 Sean Ramos Guard Sr 5'9"
21 Tim Kwong Forward Sr 6'2"
22 Ramzi Carter Forward Sr 6'7"
23 Levar Watkins Guard So 5'10"
24 Nate Robinson Guard Jr 6'3"
32 Emmitt Neal Guard So 6'4"
33 Justin Pardini Forward Sr 6'7"
45 Ezekiel Forrest-Contreras Guard Jr 6'3"

JV's
1 Cedric Reed G So 5'10"
3 Ian Brewer G Jr 6'0"
4 Peyton Monaco G So 5'10"
10 John Lawvan Johns G So 5'11"
12 Elijah Medios F Jr 5'11"
14 Jack Sinkovitz C Jr 6'6"
15 Nathan Vu G So 5'7"
21 Jordan Lim F So 5'10"
22 Hoa Gary Chang G So 5'9"
24 John Paul Mungcal G So 5'10"
25 Elijah Flowers F So 6'0"
33 Miles Bow G So 5'10"
35 John Kiernan F So 6'2"
44 Sami Nazzal F Jr 6'3"

Pardini, Carter and Neal may have grown an inch or two...Sinkovitz better start lifting for next year, he is the only true center when he is a senior. Well they have Sami Nazzal, maybe he could be like Kevin Gogan and take up space...Here is hoping they have a big boy in the freshman class or the next to round things out..The guards look pretty good on this team. Looking at the Freshman A roster they have two kids that are 6'5 and 6'4 respectively....Ryan Daly was the Frosh football qb with Bryce Monroe. The young ones, Emmitt Neal, Levar Watkins, and Bryce Monroe have a chance to be just as good as SI's Redmond, Trammell and Beckman trio.

Last edited:
All WCAL teams are in action tonight except for SHC. HMB vs SI will probably be the best of the lot.
Sportsmanship Game @ The Crusader Forum: Riordan 61 Menlo School 51 Final

Serra 62 Palo Alto 52 Final
VC 69 Homestead 55 Final
Mitty 83 Burlingame 47 Final

Last edited:

Look forward to your analysis of the team...wow, this might be the first year they got rosters out early...usually in the past regime the roster wasn't out until the first wcal league game....lol.

Look forward to your analysis of the team...wow, this might be the first year they got rosters out early...usually in the past regime the roster wasn't out until the first wcal league game....lol.
I thought as much myself.

SHC will be soft in the paint; will be their achilles heel. How is Riordan junior point guard? Heard he tweeked his right knee last night.

I attended the Riordan game last night. Given their lack of size and bulk the Crusaders are lucky they don't have to deal with (m)any D1 level big men in the WCAL this year. Even the Menlo bigs gave them some trouble last night. Hopefully James Chun only has a knee bruise with no structural damage or the Riordan season goes from bad to worse. Jelani Clark (freshman) looked good as a slashing wing and Sandoval had his moments as well. Coach Buck will have them playing hard but he doesn't have a lot to work with unfortunately.

Did anyone catch the HMB - St Ignatius game last night by chance? I couldn't get a good gauge on exactly where they were playing as the SI site listed HMB while the WCAL site listed SI while Maxpreps didn't have the game on either schedule.

SHC will be soft in the paint; will be their achilles heel. How is Riordan junior point guard? Heard he tweeked his right knee last night.

It was a pretty bad collision where James Chun was driving to the basket and tried to split two defenders. It looked to be more of a knee on knee type bruise than twist of the knee per se so I hope he's alright - i.e., no ligament or structural damage. He had a bag of ice on his knee the remainder of knee and didn't return to action.

SI/HMB game was played at HMB and your call was right on. At the end of 1Q HMB led the Cats 18-16. But, in the 2nd quarter SI pressure defense and 4 3-pointers led to 26 2nd quarter points and the Cats led 42-30 @ half. Brandon Beckman nailed 6 3-pointers in the game including 5 in the first half alone. SI has a 15 man roster, while HMB suited up 7 players, 1 out on injury, 1 out due to a transfer (Isiah Margate form Oceana), and 6 out from FB ( who will play for the CCS championship for the 2nd straight year).
Third quarter was a complete turnaround from the 2nd quarter as HMB outscored SI 27-10 to take a 57-52 lead going into the 4th quarter behind Sammy Treanor's outside shooting, as he nailed 3 3-pointers in a row during the quarter to initiate the comeback. SI played most, if not all their players, throughout the first 3 quarters and then played their top 7 the rest of the way.
Final quarter was back and forth all the way. I believe score was 60 all, then 62 all and finally 64 all, until HMB ran a set play to get a backdoor layup and take the lead 66-64. with about 20 seconds to play. SI had the ball sideline out of bounds with 9.1 seconds to play and attempted to run a lob to a big for a kickout to Beckman for a 3. Defended nicely by Andrew Saffold of HMB, ball was knocked loose and recovered by Ethan Menzies who was promptly fouled. He missed the 1 and 1 with 4.7 secs. left but Andrew Saffold rebounded the miss and was fouled with 1.8 seconds and promptly knocked down both FTs for the final score of 68-64. The trio of Beckman, Trammell and Redmond combined for 35 points, Beckman with 26. Wrenn Robinson had 9 and Teddy Snyder had 10. Sophomore Jaedon Roberts will be a force on the boards and defense for the Cats. Overall not much size. Very good and very aggressive pressure defense by SI, but too much fouling as the Cougars shot 22 FTs making 15. Cougars scoring was very balanced with Menzies and Treanor scoring 16, Ryan Yerby 14, Andrew Saffold 13, and Miro Cavanaugh 7. Very well played first game for both teams.

Regardless of size or athleticism, Coach Mackay's staple is getting his team to play hard especially on the defensive end which was lacking pretty much the last 3 seasons. I saw a lot of laziness, a lot of guys not talking to each other on defense. This above all has to change and hopefully Mackay got in between the ears with this year's squad.

The SF chronicle has Bellarmine (6), Mitty (7), Serra (9) and St. Francis(15) all ranked in the top 15.

At the Alumni game, SHC showed good guard play. Monroe, Neal and Robinson played well. Kevin Greene for the Alumni pushed people around inside. Carter missed a dunk but made one on the next play.

Last edited:
IC, other than the positive guard play that stood out....Did Carter's defensive prowess look better? How about Pardini and the rest of the team, is there any inclination that they will play D this year along with Dunbar as well? Your impression of Mackay?

IC, other than the positive guard play that stood out....Did Carter's defensive prowess look better? How about Pardini and the rest of the team, is there any inclination that they will play D this year along with Dunbar as well? Your impression of Mackay?

Dunbar looks like he's handling the ball better but he still has trouble at the line. Ramzi Carter looked better compared to last season where he put up some crazy shots but he had to defend against Kevin Greene, all 6'5", 265 pounds of muscle against the much thinner Carter. Carter was one of two with wide-open dunks. Pardini was OK; I think that was him with a dunk late in the game. He and Carter really should visit the weight room more often. Emmitt Neal looked like an experienced varsity player already. Good as advertised. Bryce Monroe a little less so but he's still good. Defense looked good but I didn't expect full-court presses during the Alumni game...

Sean McKay was standing most of the time, keeping his focus on the court. I think he'll manage his games well. John Perez was coaching the Alumni with Tim Burke. Jerelle Wilson and Domonic Johnson also played.

Last edited:
Dunbar looks like he's handling the ball better but he still has trouble at the line. Ramzi Carter looked better compared to last season where he put up some crazy shots but he had to defend against Kevin Greene, all 6'5", 265 pounds of muscle against the much thinner Carter. Carter was one of two with wide-open dunks. Pardini was OK; I think that was him with a dunk late in the game. He and Carter really should visit the weight room more often. Emmitt Neal looked like an experienced varsity player already. Good as advertised. Bryce Monroe a little less so but he's still good. Defense looked good but I didn't expect full-court presses during the Alumni game...

Sean McKay was standing most of the time, keeping his focus on the court. I think he'll manage his games well. John Perez was coaching the Alumni with Tim Burke. Jerelle Wilson and Domonic Johnson also played.

When I saw the group picture and saw our prime hall of famer Kevin Greene, my first thought was he must have had 30 points and 30 rebounds. My other thought was wishing he still had high school eligibility and play for the Irish this season.

When I saw the group picture and saw our prime hall of famer Kevin Greene, my first thought was he must have had 30 points and 30 rebounds. My other thought was wishing he still had high school eligibility and play for the Irish this season.

That wouldn't bother me a bit either. I'll see them on Saturday.

That would be great if Greene can work with Carter for a few weeks, teach him to play better D. I wonder if Greene will want to coach someday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT