Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo
By Mitch Stephens | MaxPreps.com

Serra (San Mateo)
Coach: Patrick Walsh
2014:8-5, 6-1

The defending WCAL champions will not have a postseason because of two-year sanctions against the program for cancelling a consolation playoff game last season against Milpitas. Safety concerns were at the forefront of Walsh's decision, which was backed by the school's administration. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the CCS implemented the first consolation football bracket in the country's history. It was wiped away after one season.

"It's certainly there," Walsh said. "Like any other difficult situation we need to take it head on and that's what we're doing. … Thankfully we play in arguably the best league in Northern California"

The Padres have one of their best teams skill-wise, but feature a young line. Third-year starting wide receiver-defensive back Brandon Monroe, Tevita Tuitakavake and running back Kelepi Lataimua are three of the team's top skill players.

Said Monroe: "We know we don't have playoffs, but our goal is still to go 10-0. We're out to win every game and prove a point that even though we don't have playoffs, we're still going to work hard and keep playing and we're not going to quit on one another. … It's a brotherhood. … It's tradition."

Walsh talked about how, for the first time ever, he knows his team's end date, which will be Nov. 14.

"We know our death. … I think that's an interesting perspective. … If I knew the day I was going to die I'd go jump of cliffs. I'd be swimming with sharks, doing the greatest things possible. … These players, their friends and our staff have a choice. What path will we take?"

Saint Francis (Mountain View)
Coach:Greg Calcagno
2014:9-4, 4-3

The Lancers won their 15th CCS title last season with a 17-7 triumph over Mitty for the Division II crown. They lost some fantastic seniors to graduation, but return two key parts on offense, running back Lutoviko Ahoia (914 yards rushing, nine TDs) and quarterback Kamalii Akina (1,246 yards passing, 11 TDs).

St. Francis also returns offensive lineman/LB Kevin Glajchen and lineman Ryan Molesto give Calcagno a rock core group, especially on defense.

St. Ignatius (San Francisco)
Coach:John Regalia
2014:7-6, 2-5

The Wildcats lost most of its skill players, but returns linemen Julian Villavicencio (6-2, 240), Jack Tunney (6-2, 185), Jack Mckeon (6-2, 180), WillSweeney (6-2, 217) and Daniel Hagan (6-2, 195). Three are fighting it out for the quarterback spot, led by Peter Katz, while Xavier Tharpe and Key Butler are two of a committee who will carry the load at running back.

Friday's game at Campolindo should help see just where this group is. Campolindo is defending state Division III champion and gone 52-4 since 2011.

"We have a lot of respect for coach (Campolindo's Kevin) Macy as a person and as a coach," St. Ignatius coach John Regalia said. "This will be a great test for our young team."

St. Ignatius will also have its annual tussle with Marin Catholic and SJS power St. Mary's-Stockton.

"We're very excited about our schedule and this group," Regalia said. "They've done all the work in the offseason and I'm very excited about the potential of this group."

Valley Christian (San Jose)
Head coach:Mike Machado
2014:9-4, 6-1

The Warriors lost a ton to graduation but return a very talented team, led by 6-5 receiver Collin Johnson, a four-star senior headed to Texas.

Though they lost Johnson's brother Kirk to graduation — he's also at Texas — there should be no drop-off at running back with Morian Walker, a physical and fleet senior. Another top recruit is senior back and linebacker Akil Jones, who will also run the ball. Jones has committed to Colorado.

Jones and Walker are both 6-1 and 215. Don't expect any arm tackles. Add in 6-4, 270-pound tight end Cameron Woodard and Machado has plenty of talent. The Warriors just need to improve quickly a young but talented line.

"They'll need to grow up quick," Machado said.

Miles Kendrick has elevated from the JV ranks to be the starting quarterback. "He's a very good athlete," Machado said of the 5-10 junior. "He's not real tall, but he can run and he has a strong arm."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT