ADVERTISEMENT

San Mateo ends Burlingame's 28 game winning streak

TurtleLoveCA

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2015
For the first time since Bill Clinton was President, San Mateo defeated Burlingame by the score of 59-53. Burlingame fell to 7-16 overall and 3-8 in the PAL South with only 2nd place Sequoia left to play. San Mateo improved to 14-9 overall and 5-6 in the PAL South.

Burlingame has been eliminated from all postseason play for the first time this millennium while San Mateo will advance to the CCS playoffs but has been eliminated from the PAL playoffs.

Burlingame got off to a fast start leading 22-18 after the first period, but went into an offensive funk after that. Burlingame last led 49-48 with 159 to play.

Reactions: Brodiemaster
Burlingame had been really solid for a long time. This will be interesting. Will the old coach ever return there? I think he is a teacher there still. I never really understood why he was pushed out. The new guy does a good job too but this season makes me remember the old guy even though I can't remember his name right now.

For the first time since Bill Clinton was President, San Mateo defeated Burlingame by the score of 59-53. Burlingame fell to 7-16 overall and 3-8 in the PAL South with only 2nd place Sequoia left to play. San Mateo improved to 14-9 overall and 5-6 in the PAL South.

Burlingame has been eliminated from all postseason play for the first time this millennium while San Mateo will advance to the CCS playoffs but has been eliminated from the PAL playoffs.

Burlingame got off to a fast start leading 22-18 after the first period, but went into an offensive funk after that. Burlingame last led 49-48 with 159 to play.

Was the last time when SM had Cardell Butler?

The current coach, Pete Harames, who has a long and outstanding resume dating way back in the annals of the PAL (his 1995 Capuchino team played Verbum Dei for a Division IV state title, losing by a single digit), is doing a fine job with very little available talent. The well finally has run dry at Burlingame. And there is very little help on the horizon.

Last edited:
The current coach, Pete Harames, who has a long and outstanding resume dating way back in the annals of the PAL (his 1995 Capuchino team played Verbum Dei for a Division IV state title, losing by a single digit), is doing a fine job with very little available talent. The well finally has run dry at Burlingame. And there is very little help on the horizon.

Some of the well running dry has to do with talent in the area, but some of it has to do with not having the camps and community ties that Dowd did. That kept a decent amount of Burlingame and Hillsborough kids from going to Serra.

Another problem has been at the JV level over the past few years. Used to be some solid player development, but it wasn't so strong the last few years.

No, you can't make chicken out of you-know-what, but things could be better than the current state. There's no reason Burlingame shouldn't have beaten every team in the league outside of M-A and Sequoia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT