ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule Released - Elite 8 Fall Preview

Jun 5, 2017
Pleased to release the schedule for this weekends Elite 8 tournament being held at the Trail.
DKmM-mIUEAAyTvB

http://calihoopbasketball.com/2017/...er-30th-at-monterey-trail-hs-in-elk-grove-ca/

Last edited:
Looks fun... I'll be there, hopefully early enough for the first game :) Long drive from Concord.

As noted by H.E.A.T, there must be some goof on the above schedule. Trailblazers not listed in any game, and winner of Game 1 apparently not moving on in the tourney? Still, good teams, buncha games, I'm in :)

Good eye, but no goof on schedule.

Game 1 is an out of bracket game.

Trailblazers have 1st round bye (of sorts) will play in the 2pm game, replacing Red Raiders.

That was a good show today...

Only real disappointment, San Joaquin Memorial's superstud soph Jalen Green wasn't there (In LA for a national-level tournament of some kind) and their starting PG was injured. I suspect they had a couple guys busy with football, too. So, they get an "incomplete" for their grade today.

Elliot Christian's team looked very tough, but they did have some rough games shooting the rock and I believe finished 4th.

Monterey Trail has some real athletes and shooters, and they look poised for a great year. Jesuit looks to be solid, too.

However, the two teams that were head and shoulders over the rest were Fresno Central and tourney champ Modesto Christian. MC won the final by about 20, but the game was nip-and-tuck until about 7 minutes left in the 2nd half. Central appeared to flat run outa gas at that point and MC's stable of studs went right to work!

Overall the competition was at least pretty-good in most games and some games were quite terrific.

Reactions: jordan24
There were no programs with player numbers, so I didn't know which one Cash Williams was.

Went to YouTube and picked up one of their games from last year and reminded myself. :)

Really good ballhandler, shifty moves in either direction... Seems like he has spent a lot of time on that jumper during the offseason and it appears to have paid off. Plays really hard on both ends and appears to be a real leader-type.

Only thing that bug me is the near-constant throwing-back of his head whenever any defender is near him, trying to draw fouls. Yeah, I know, many do that now, but he does it more than just about anybody. I know, many do this, but a few do it wayyyyyyyyy too often.

Personally, I think constantly baiting the ref looking for cheap whistles should be a foul in itself. Falling down after not being touched during a shot, falling backwards on D before the potential charging offensive guy hit you yet, all that kinda stuff needs to go the way of the dodo.

He looks a little skinnier than last year, maybe a good thing maybe not... Hard conditioning or a health issue? If it was unnatural weight loss due to having been sick or something, it may have contributed to his tiredness near the end of the Final.

Funny thing, as an aside... Their game uni's last year were fugggggly. I think this is the first time I've seen a team's summer-camp/practice uni's look better than their gamers. :) Actually, quiiiiiiite a bit better!

Another good one was Monterey Trail's 6'3" guard Marcus Robinson.

Skinny as a rail, but got lots of ooh's and ahh's from the crowds with spectacular hesitation moves to get easy layups, excellent shooting, fine ball-handling skills. Dude can flat-out play!

Reactions: Coach_Fields
Was a quality event. my observations and thoughts on the Sacramento area teams

Jesuit (minus Rutherford/Virga) looked good, Elias King and Simpson carried the load. They beat Capital (minus Chappell and Jones) and Fresno.

Capital was clearly missing pieces, the big fella only played in the first two games. Chappell was only there for two late games, and Jones played in the last game (after flying in from Idaho). They each looked good at times, but hard to gauge as Chappel and Tolu never were on the court at same time.

Vanden was missing a guard who was on a visit (and offered) at a d2 school, their big sophomore about 6'9 didn't play much, was nursing a back injury. Team played very hard, scrappy. Had very good moments. Their game against Fresno was one of closest on the day.

Monterey Trail only played two games, looked really good for about half the game versus Modesto Christian. Agree with Kidman above Marcus Robinson had the gym buzzing from the opening possession. They shoot a ton of 3's and seemed to cool off after some adrenaline to start the game. Won second game in sudden death OT vs Elliot Christian.

Modesto Christian (I know not Sacramento) was clearly the best team there, Knox, Ballard, Satchell, Murphy, Tsartsidze, Pearson, etc...too deep for any team. I don't imagine they will lose many games this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT