ADVERTISEMENT

SOME TAKE AWAYS FROM GRIDLEY

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone that came out to our tournament.
It was a great weekend of Basketball. The games were great, and the house was packed each night. It truly was a 3 day basketball party.
I had a great time playing host, helping run, and visiting with all the Hoopaholics that come out every year.
Award for most Outstanding Player, Anthony Roy.
All Tournament Team:
Jaden Saunders, Devon Jackson (Dublin) Te’Jon Sawyer, Shane Bell (Salesian) Carter Mahaney, Aidan Mahaney (Campolindo) Bryce Monroe, Je’Lani Clark ( Riordan) Darrion Williams ( Capital Christian)
Another Tournament Queen was crowned: Alyra Andes gets to Rein for the year :)

Some take a ways:
This was Dublin’s 6th year at Gridley, and first time making the finals, and winning.

There were some very good looking under class-men.

Freshman Courtney Anderson 6’4’ ( Salesian) got his first look on Varsity at the Tournament. We will see him getting more playing time this year as he develops.
Another standout is 9th grader is Kodey Weary ( Weston Ranch.) I was very impressed with his size, 6’4’, and very mobile. He looks like he has a lot more growth potential in him. This kid is someone I expect big things from.
Sophomore Darrion Williams (Capital Christian). Has a nice up side If he keeps growing. Strong body, plays mature.
Mor Seck shows big upside being in the 7 foot range.

Aidan Mahaney, Campolindo’s super Soph had a 3 day total of 71 points. Just getting nudged out by Bryce Monroe’s tournament leading 75.

When Bryce Monroe went off for 31 points in the first half of the Riordan’s last game. I started thinking about the Tournaments all time record for a 3 day’s event, that it might be in jeopardy.

The record is 105 points set in 1968, This was before the three point line was instituted. That’s 35 points, or 17 baskets per game. Crazy numbers!
It was set by none other than Gridley’s own, Jay Olson.

In 1999 Stephon Harris (Luther Burbank) came closest with 104, having his last shot hit the rim, bouncing around, and rimming out. You can believe the crowed went berserk.

I will see you in the cheap seats.

Here’s wishing you great hoops

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone that came out to our tournament.
It was a great weekend of Basketball. The games were great, and the house was packed each night. It truly was a 3 day basketball party.
I had a great time playing host, helping run, and visiting with all the Hoopaholics that come out every year.
Award for most Outstanding Player, Anthony Roy.
All Tournament Team:
Jaden Saunders, Devon Jackson (Dublin) Te’Jon Sawyer, Shane Bell (Salesian) Carter Mahaney, Aidan Mahaney (Campolindo) Bryce Monroe, Je’Lani Clark ( Riordan) Darrion Williams ( Capital Christian)
Another Tournament Queen was crowned: Alyra Andes gets to Rein for the year :)

Some take a ways:
This was Dublin’s 6th year at Gridley, and first time making the finals, and winning.

There were some very good looking under class-men.

Freshman Courtney Anderson 6’4’ ( Salesian) got his first look on Varsity at the Tournament. We will see him getting more playing time this year as he develops.
Another standout is 9th grader is Kodey Weary ( Weston Ranch.) I was very impressed with his size, 6’4’, and very mobile. He looks like he has a lot more growth potential in him. This kid is someone I expect big things from.
Sophomore Darrion Williams (Capital Christian). Has a nice up side If he keeps growing. Strong body, plays mature.
Mor Seck shows big upside being in the 7 foot range.

Aidan Mahaney, Campolindo’s super Soph had a 3 day total of 71 points. Just getting nudged out by Bryce Monroe’s tournament leading 75.

When Bryce Monroe went off for 31 points in the first half of the Riordan’s last game. I started thinking about the Tournaments all time record for a 3 day’s event, that it might be in jeopardy.

The record is 105 points set in 1968, This was before the three point line was instituted. That’s 35 points, or 17 baskets per game. Crazy numbers!
It was set by none other than Gridley’s own, Jay Olson.

In 1999 Stephon Harris (Luther Burbank) came closest with 104, having his last shot hit the rim, bouncing around, and rimming out. You can believe the crowed went berserk.

I will see you in the cheap seats.

Here’s wishing you great hoops

Gridley is a must experience. First class fans and ran REALLY well. I had the pleasure of playing in Gridley in the early 90's with Mcclymonds High. Great to talk with you Mark. It was very surreal watching my youngest compete up there. Gridley will hold a special place in my memories as a youth and a father. Thank you for a well ran tournament for these kids. Maybe one day I will return as a granfather... lol..
Congratulations to Dublin on a 3 game masterpiece. I left impressed by some good coaching by some programs . St.Pats, Dublin , Capital, Salesian and Campo have some really good coaches and there was a lot of talent up there in Gridley to enjoy.

Yup, I love this tournament... Organizers think of everything, so far as I can see...

Lineup banners up by the scoreboards, changed before every game.

Wastebaskets scattered about up in the stands making it very easy to toss your cans and wrappers without having to climb over people...

Nice snack bar with a good variety of things to... well, snack on.

VERY nice programs with color pictures and rosters of the teams along with some tourney history and whatnot...

Highly-skilled college-certified refs that keep the games moving right along in as fair a fashion as possible. Not too many calls to dispute, other than by biased parentfans..

Excellent clock/scoreboard operators. I think there were less than 5 stoppages to correct shot-clocks, etc. in 12 games (I've certainly been to games where "only" five stoppages in one half is actually pretty good). And those few stoppages were handled very quickly, having just about zero effect on game play.

It's like Gridley *likes* to have folks come to their tourney or something... :)

Gridley is a must experience. First class fans and ran REALLY well. I had the pleasure of playing in Gridley in the early 90's with Mcclymonds High. Great to talk with you Mark. It was very surreal watching my youngest compete up there. Gridley will hold a special place in my memories as a youth and a father. Thank you for a well ran tournament for these kids. Maybe one day I will return as a granfather... lol..
Congratulations to Dublin on a 3 game masterpiece. I left impressed by some good coaching by some programs . St.Pats, Dublin , Capital, Salesian and Campo have some really good coaches and there was a lot of talent up there in Gridley to enjoy.

Renard, my feelings also.
I forgot to ask you about your playing days at Mac. Did you by any chance play with Brandon Brooks and Dwayne Mcdougle? Dwayne lives up here now, and I see him every so so.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Renard, my feelings also.
I forgot to ask you about your playing days at Mac. Did you by any chance play with Brandon Brooks and Dwayne Mcdougle? Dwayne lives up here now, and I see him every so so.

Here's wishing you great hoops
My High School team mates
Darnarryl Stamps- head coach San Leandro high 6'9
Anthony Byrd- 6'4
Kelton Runnels-6'6
Kurtis Clanton 6'7
Louis Jackson-6'3
Armondo Lewis 6'7
Richard Hardmam 5'10
Marwan Delony '6"0
Howard George '6'3
Sean York- 6'4 - Rest in peace
Enoch Williams- 6'4
Sean McFarland-6'5
91-92 season- 21-7
92-93 season- 26-1

Coaches- William Hearnton, Dwight Nathaniel (Coach Moe) , Robert McCrady, Sean York Sr.

Reactions: bones40
The 90 points a game squad from back in the day......

My High School team mates
Darnarryl Stamps- head coach San Leandro high 6'9
Anthony Byrd- 6'4
Kelton Runnels-6'6
Kurtis Clanton 6'7
Louis Jackson-6'3
Armondo Lewis 6'7
Richard Hardmam 5'10
Marwan Delony '6"0
Howard George '6'3
Sean York- 6'4 - Rest in peace
Enoch Williams- 6'4
Sean McFarland-6'5
91-92 season- 21-7
92-93 season- 26-1

Coaches- William Hearnton, Dwight Nathaniel (Coach Moe) , Robert McCrady, Sean York Sr.

92-93 Mack was stacked. A different ref crew from undefeated state run. Pop Monroe, 1 more loss from Bryce & best record in house is safe.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT