ADVERTISEMENT

Sparks, Nevada native son Bennet transfers in college too

Bennett transferring to UNR (his home school according to Dad).

I guess being away from home all those years while playing for Folsom

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/rep...e-qb-transfer-kaiden-bennett-coming-to-nevada

finally took its toll and he wanted to live at home again.

Dad is quoted as saying “here” meaning Sparks, in the article.

Go figure......

Now they have a qb from Washington so Nevada is now local. Remember it was s time we heard that these kids ate from Folsom and everybody is just moving to Folsom because of jobs

Reactions: RedZone90
Now they have a qb from Washington so Nevada is now local. Remember it was s time we heard that these kids ate from Folsom and everybody is just moving to Folsom because of jobs

Maybe after 4 years away from “Home” at “Bishop Folsom” he just wants to be back in Reno with his Friends and Family when he grew up??.....:):)

Seriously though he could be considered the Best QB in Folsom History... Browning has the records but KB has the Rings... He Has some pretty awesome stats too!!!....

Good luck to the young man and Hopefully he finds the same kind of success at UNR and realizes his dreams!!!....

Reactions: coachlittle
Nothing personal against Kaiden Bennett, as I don't know the kid or his family. But I really dislike reading that the biggest reason for his decision to transfer was because "he didn't feel like he got a chance to compete for the starting job".

He just landed there this Spring for Pete's sake!!! He's a freaking true freshman! And not some freak 5 star recruit either.

The entitlement among these kids today is such a freaking turn off. It really is. And so is the coddling and encouragement of this type of flighty behavior by their parents. It's one of the reasons I stopped coaching. Little to no loyalty, perseverance or accountability.

I feel the same towards Tate Martell and his unwillingness to compete for the starting job at tOSU after running a bunch of trash talk via social media. It's more preferable to bail than fight it out and/or pay your dues. SMH.

BTW, I was actually glad to hear that Martell didn't even beat out a true freshman at the U. The grass ain't always greener (or easier) elsewhere!!! I wonder what he's gonna do now? Enter the transfer portal AGAIN? SMH.

Back to Bennett, I hope he's happier playing near his hometown. If that was the main reason for his decision, then I somewhat understand. But according to that article, it was having to take a backseat to a more heavily touted freshman recruit. That kinda thing happens on every roster across the country.

Last edited:
Nothing personal against Kaiden Bennett, as I don't know the kid or his family. But I really dislike reading that the biggest reason for his decision to transfer was because "he didn't feel like he got a chance to compete for the starting job".

He just landed there this Spring for Pete's sake!!! He's a freaking true freshman! And not some freak 5 star recruit either.

The entitlement among these kids today is such a freaking turn off. It really is. And so is the coddling and encouragement of this type of flighty behavior by their parents. It's one of the reasons I stopped coaching. Little to no loyalty, perseverance or accountability.

I feel the same towards Tate Martell and his unwillingness to compete for the starting job at tOSU after running a bunch of trash talk via social media. It's more preferable to bail than fight it out and/or pay your dues. SMH.

BTW, I was actually glad to hear that Martell didn't even beat out a true freshman at the U. The grass ain't always greener (or easier) elsewhere!!! I wonder what he's gonna do now? Enter the transfer portal AGAIN? SMH.

Back to Bennett, I hope he's happier playing near his hometown. If that was the main reason for his decision, then I somewhat understand. But according to that article, it was having to take a backseat to a more heavily touted freshman recruit. That kinda thing happens on every roster across the country.
I agree with a lot of points on this thread. However, I do know that some coaches will also run kids off. That was my understanding with Ohio St and Martell, and the reason he gained eligibility this year. I just hate jumping to conclusion on any kid.

Even though both Boise State and Reno are Mountain West programs, Boise on average has better players than Reno making it tougher sledding in Idaho. Boise along with Fresno and SDSU are near the top of the conference while Reno is middle of the pack at best.

That was my understanding with Ohio St and Martell, and the reason he gained eligibility this year. I just hate jumping to conclusion on any kid.

I don’t believe he was run off by coaches. I mean, tOSU didn’t have any experienced QB’s at the time or a back up. That would be a huge risk for a program of their stature to take. As it is, they lose Fields for any reason they could be in big trouble.

I believe Martell just felt entitled to the position because he was a returning player with experience. Once he was told he would have to compete with Fields, his fight or flight reaction kicked in. First he fought by playing tough on Twitter trying to convince Fields not to transfer. Once Fields made it official, flight kicked in. No willingness to battle it out at all.

Even if he really was run off, can you blame them? Martell has since been beaten out by a true freshman with no more experience in the system than him. He didn’t want to battle it out with Fields cause he knew he wasn’t on the same level.

I don’t believe he was run off by coaches. I mean, tOSU didn’t have any experienced QB’s at the time or a back up. That would be a huge risk for a program of their stature to take. As it is, they lose Fields for any reason they could be in big trouble.

I believe Martell just felt entitled to the position because he was a returning player with experience. Once he was told he would have to compete with Fields, his fight or flight reaction kicked in. First he fought by playing tough on Twitter trying to convince Fields not to transfer. Once Fields made it official, flight kicked in. No willingness to battle it out at all.

Even if he really was run off, can you blame them? Martell has since been beaten out by a true freshman with no more experience in the system than him. He didn’t want to battle it out with Fields cause he knew he wasn’t on the same level.
I'm fairly certain he was granted a Run Off Waiver, but could also not be the case.
"He was essentially run off and there is a different sense of analysis under the NCAA rules for that," said Travis Leach, Martell's attorney.

Nobody wants to look bad. A college doesn't want it to appear that they are running recruits off during recruiting period(every program does this) and the player doesn't want it to look like it was beyond his control.

Reactions: ThunderRam

He was beaten out by Jarren Williams, who is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. He was a Top 5 pro-style qb recruit in 2018.

Reactions: RedZone90
I'm fairly certain he was granted a Run Off Waiver, but could also not be the case.
"He was essentially run off and there is a different sense of analysis under the NCAA rules for that," said Travis Leach, Martell's attorney.

Nobody wants to look bad. A college doesn't want it to appear that they are running recruits off during recruiting period(every program does this) and the player doesn't want it to look like it was beyond his control.

Well, if that's the explanation for the waiver, then I guess that's what happened. I stand corrected.

Reactions: northbayfb
He was beaten out by Jarren Williams, who is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. He was a Top 5 pro-style qb recruit in 2018.

I stand corrected again. I thought I had recently read that he was a true freshmen. Wrong twice in the same thread. That's what I get for not verifying my info. I'm just flat lazy today ;)

Thanks for the correction.

I stand corrected again. I thought I had recently read that he was a true freshmen. Wrong twice in the same thread. That's what I get for not verifying my info. I'm just flat lazy today ;)

Thanks for the correction.

No problem! I’m not a Martell fan by any stretch, but Williams is a pretty highly regarded prospect. Martell probably should have gone to a lower level program if he really wanted to start at qb. I hear he might play slot now at Miami.

This stuff will happen when you face DBs that actually have some skill relative to your receiving corps.
When you’re throwing to 2’s as the underclassman and the untested older guy always gets patterns run by ones, who’s going to look better? Coach getting called out on that won’t forget it. Until the next year when he realizes he kept lightning in the bottle. Some families DO feel entitled.

Okay that’s HS. College is a different gig as those QBs have “banked” on 2-3 years starting in youth-HS- now college. Have to hand it Petersen at UDub. Legacy with big stats/name just wasn’t better. They realize, often late, they’re not going against the best kid in town, not even county.

When you’re throwing to 2’s as the underclassman and the untested older guy always gets patterns run by ones, who’s going to look better? Coach getting called out on that won’t forget it. Until the next year when he realizes he kept lightning in the bottle. Some families DO feel entitled.

Every backup QB in history has this story to tell. If only....if only....if only. Its the kid with great character that continues to compete and continues to be a great teammate when the coach might be predisposed to another guy. Character matters. It is so utterly lacking in so many cases.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Every backup QB in history has this story to tell. If only....if only....if only. Its the kid with great character that continues to compete and continues to be a great teammate when the coach might be predisposed to another guy. Character matters. It is so utterly lacking in so many cases.
Exactly. Breaking records as a one year only starter is especially gratifying...and so....

Exactly. Breaking records as a one year only starter is especially gratifying...and so....

LOL....well, you can brag about that one year for the rest of your life....and you will if you failed to hit dem books and drank all that kool aid

You got that right. Thankfully, kids are more resilient. College, Pros, Grad Schools have a way of promoting perspective!

redshirt freshman... if you gonna bash at least be accurate... UM Alum

redshirt freshman... if you gonna bash at least be accurate... UM Alum

How about catching up with the thread to understand that it's already been brought up and acknowledged.
See, I can correct you too.

Also, don't be so sensitive. I didn't bash anybody. I merely shared own POV based upon the info provided in the article.

No worries if you don't agree with it. There are greater tragedies in life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT