ADVERTISEMENT

St Ignatius beats SHC 51-49

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Rachel Harvey has 12 points and Sabrina Ma had 11 points for SI.

Da’Myiah Lewis led SHC with 16 points. Emily Jones, formerly at SI, got the start on Friday

They're sitting at 3-9. I love Russell and think he's done a great job at SHC but 3-9 going onto league....is he gonna find himself in the same boat as he was in last year? getting left out of the playoffs? I think it's great that teams play a tough schedule but at the end of the day you have get to the .500 mark. I hope they finish strong

Reactions: WM483
SHC needs five wins in league, and as always, it's a tough league. Maybe two against St. Francis? Win at home against Presentation and Valley Christian? The SI rematch could tell the tale ...

SHC needs five wins in league, and as always, it's a tough league. Maybe two against St. Francis? Win at home against Presentation and Valley Christian? The SI rematch could tell the tale ...

In order to make playoffs do they need to be 500% in league or 500% overall?

Irish need some rebounders. Too many opponents are getting second shots.

Presentation just lost to Lynbrook, so maybe Pres isn't quite as strong as the record and rankings suggest.

Presentation just lost to Lynbrook, so maybe Pres isn't quite as strong as the record and rankings suggest.

Lynbrook is actually one of the better CCS public school units. They are small, very skilled, shoot the trey well and are well-coached. Aragon, another strong CCS public program, defeated St. Francis last week. So the WCAL, other than Mitty, seems to be more vulnerable than usual vs. CCS publics. That has not happened for some time.

By the way, with CIF's new equity model governing the state hoops tourney, it would not be out of the question for a CCS public to capture a state title at some point relatively soon. The only time that's happened (in the pre-equity era when enrollment was key) was in 1988 by 36-2 Burlingame.

One of the losses Lynbrook has is to a strong American High School Fremont team. American high school has a lot of talent at that school, and along with Mission San Jose should be possible D3, D4 level playoff schools. That said, Lynbrook appears to be strong. Perhaps, some of the WCAL and WBAL- foothill league schools are overrated because they play in the conference with Mitty and Pinewood.

Are they ever at this point of the year? They, like SF, don't schedule a tough preseason. Both teams will probably still end up in the CCS Open and D1 NorCal

One of the losses Lynbrook has is to a strong American High School Fremont team. American high school has a lot of talent at that school, and along with Mission San Jose should be possible D3, D4 level playoff schools. That said, Lynbrook appears to be strong. Perhaps, some of the WCAL and WBAL- foothill league schools are overrated because they play in the conference with Mitty and Pinewood.

Lynbrook also lost rather badly to Sequoia last week in an East Bay tourney. Nonetheless, Lynbrook, even without any size whatsoever, remains one of the better CCS publics, along with the likes of Aptos, Palo Alto, Aragon, Capuchino and Sequoia and perhaps a few others.

Last edited:
I saw presentat play at the WCJ jamboree. I thought they had a pretty good starting 5 but not much (if any) of a bench. I see them as ultimately a high D2 seed in the Norcals.

SHC is a head scratcher to me as when I saw them at the CN classic I thought they were going to be good. It's hard for me to imagine they are where they are at right now. Do they have injuries again? It would be truly a shocker if they dont qualify for playoffs again. I hope they make a run and get there.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
For CCS open there is a clear #1 seed Mitty a clear #2 Pinewood and for the rest I think there are about 10-13 schools that could all beat each other on a given night. I don’t see a huge difference between the balance of the privates and the top public’s. I think Lynbrook, Aptos, Sequioa, Aragon could all give problems to the balance of the WCAL and WBAL as long as they don’t get stuck as a 7 or 8 seed.

For CCS open there is a clear #1 seed Mitty a clear #2 Pinewood and for the rest I think there are about 10-13 schools that could all beat each other on a given night. I don’t see a huge difference between the balance of the privates and the top public’s. I think Lynbrook, Aptos, Sequioa, Aragon could all give problems to the balance of the WCAL and WBAL as long as they don’t get stuck as a 7 or 8 seed.
Are any of the CCS publics D1 in norcals good?[/QUOTE

Using your somewhat arguable notion of "top publics," here are some non-league statistics so far:

The upper division of the WBAL (minus Pinewood) is 9-3 vs. selected CCS publics (Sequoia, Hollister, Burlingame, Soquel, Carlmont, M-A, North Salinas, Lynbrook, Half Moon Bay, Mills and Leigh).

The WCAL (minus Mitty) is 14-5 vs. a similar array of CCS publics.

The only privates involved in these statistics with a negative record are Eastside College Prep (0-3) and Notre Dame-Belmont (1-2).

So the combined record for the privates in this discussion is 23-8 in their favor.

According to MaxPreps, sans Mitty and Pinewood, those two private/parochial leagues are 23-9 vs. the better CCS publics. Only Eastside Prep and Notre Dame-Belmont have losing records vs. the stronger CCS publics.

I'm sure Presentation and St. Francis would love to have Aragon and Lynbrook go open and they both stay in D2. It's early still teams have injuries, sickness, transfers, etc.
Antelope also lost to unranked yet good Oakland Tech team, but Antelope is still very good. Be that team that no one wants to play come playoff time.

Sequoia just lost to Hillsdale, which lost to Monte Vista Christian. It seems like there's a lot of parity in the publics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT