ADVERTISEMENT

The ultimate sports nepo baby

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Has there ever been a bigger example of nepotism/privilege in the history of professional sports than Bronny James?

LeBron did his son no favors. In his selfishness to want to play with his son he has set his son up for quite possibly the most brutal fan interaction for any active athlete in the history of the NBA.

Instead of doing the right thing and being a good parent and encouraging Bronny to HAVE HIS OWN JOURNEY AND LIFE EXPERIENCES in college and then if he's ready after graduating to take his shot at the NBA, LBJ did the selfish thing....

I KNOW LeBron is a good dad, husband and family man..there are many examples of him being such.....BUT he really screwed the pooch on this one IMO.

Has there ever been a bigger example of nepotism/privilege in the history of professional sports than Bronny James?

LeBron did his son no favors. In his selfishness to want to play with his son he has set his son up for quite possibly the most brutal fan interaction for any active athlete in the history of the NBA.

Instead of doing the right thing and being a good parent and encouraging Bronny to HAVE HIS OWN JOURNEY AND LIFE EXPERIENCES in college and then if he's ready after graduating to take his shot at the NBA, LBJ did the selfish thing....

I KNOW LeBron is a good dad, husband and family man..there are many examples of him being such.....BUT he really screwed the pooch on this one IMO.
I think the error was saying Bronny was better than some NBA guards when he was in high school. It crearted this world where you have to agree with it (which is pretty crazy) or you have to be negative and that has turned into he isn't any good (which isn't true either).

I also think Lebron saying he wanted to play with Bronny sped up Bronny's timeline.

If you zoom out, this is a really cool story but the noise around it has made it a little harder for some to appreciate it.

I think the error was saying Bronny was better than some NBA guards when he was in high school. It crearted this world where you have to agree with it (which is pretty crazy) or you have to be negative and that has turned into he isn't any good (which isn't true either).

I also think Lebron saying he wanted to play with Bronny sped up Bronny's timeline.

If you zoom out, this is a really cool story but the noise around it has made it a little harder for some to appreciate it.
Because of his dad Bronny is going to take a roster spot now from someone who actually deserves it.

Whatever happens Bronnys dad is a billionaire so Bronny will be just fine. I wonder about the person who's spot Bronny is taking and what the 800k (or whatever the minimum salary is) may do for that family?....someone who didn't come from privilege in which that money would have a real impact.

For me at least it's very hard to appreciate "the cool story" if Bronny doesn't deserve to be there.

For me at least it's very hard to appreciate "the cool story" if Bronny doesn't deserve to be there.
Basketball is political at all levels. Many times the better player is not selected whether we're talking about the draft, the all star game, or just making the team at all levels. It is a reflection of the world. Decision makers add people who fit their program or style, are part of the click, bring intangible assets, etc. The reasons are numerous and it happens in every field of human endeavor. The real question is "can he stand on his own and stay in a way that justifies the pick".

The Lakers are a franchise that knows a little about basketball i do not think they took a guy for the likes on facebook or tik tok.

The first pick in the draft was said to be overrated by his peers overseas. So everyone has an opinion.

Rob Pelinka knows more and has accomplished more in basketball than anyone on this site posting, so he probably has an idea of how good bronny is.

People on this board though James Wiseman was going to bring the warriors 6 more titles...... so drafting is always a guessing game.

Fans are brutal anyway. He has dealt with it up until now, and will have had to deal with it no matter where he went.

Bronny did not want to stay in college for 4 years, as no player really does, and then try to make the NBA. HE wanted the chance to play with his father, as much as his father wanted a chance to play with his son.

Your 'right' thing, and being a 'good' parent is not his nor anyone else's. He has done the right and good thing already in life that is the reason why we are here talking about it.

A lot of people are trying to compare this to Griffey playing with his dad. But this is not the same. It’ll bring people to the arena, but the kid was averaging like three points in college. This isn’t fair for him. LeBron should let him take his own path.

Yeah this one was bad. Terrible optics all the way around. Seems like a really good kid too.
Hard to believe at this level it still happens but "Daddy Ball" is real and alive in the USA.
Once a great franchise is a total joke right now. Talk about different directions right now when you look at Boston and how they are being run by Brad Stevens.
The thing I love about LA situation is you can't throw out the race card. Lebron hired JJ his podcast buddy. You had guys like Sam Cassell ready to step up. Most of us on this board have more coaching and life exp than JJ.

Now I don't think this is a good basketball decision. I'm just saying that there are roughly 360 guys in the NBA and it most definitely isn't the best 360 in the world. So if the Lakers want to burn a spot on Bronny, it just doens't bother me that much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT