ADVERTISEMENT

The Way-Back machine

Larno51

Superstar
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2021
A little palate-cleanser in the middle of the week. While looking through boxes in the garage I came across a magazine I'd saved from the year after I graduated from high school, the California Prep Football 1969 Yearbook. This magazine, and one for basketball, was produced for several years about that time. I thought it would be interesting to see who the top teams were then compared to now. If nothing else it shows that only a handful of teams have stayed consistently good over the years and changing demographics have had a very large impact on the football scene. Plus, it reminds me that I am a senior citizen who graduated 54 years ago.

I won't do all the sections but here are a few - and these are preseason rankings. These are all top to bottom top ten.

Sac-Joaquin: Mira Loma, Edison, Downey, Tracy, Bella Vista, Yuba City, Stagg, Sacramento,Johnson, Ceres.
North Coast: Alameda, Vallejo, Hogan, Pleasant Hill, Arroyo, Hayward, Terra Linda, San Ramon, Concord, Castro Valley
Central Coast: Los Altos, Riordan, Woodside, Soquel, Campbell, South San Francisco, Sequoia, Serra, Piedmont Hills, Los Gatos
Southern: Anaheim, El Rancho, Lakewood, St. Paul, West Covina, Santa Barbara, Redlands, Blair, Mater Dei, Loara
State Top Twenty: Anaheim, El Rancho, Lakewood, St. Paul, West Covina, Santa Barbara, Redlands, Mira Loma, Fresno, Alameda, Vallejo, Blair, Mater Dei, Los Altos, Loara, Hogan, Riordan, Gardena, Canoga Park, Pleasant Hill

The all state team had only one player that would have any resonance today - Lynn Swann, from Serra. Old-timers might also remember James McAlister, who played at UCLA.

Time has not been kind to most of these teams. Not even listed is the Central Section, where the top team was Fresno and all of the teams listed are way down in the rankings today. The same goes for the San Diego Section, where only Oceanside at number 9 is even remotely relevant today. Over the years schools at the very top of the food chain have come and gone (Cordova was once the top team in the state, now...........) and new dynasties have risen. Time waits for no one.

A little palate-cleanser in the middle of the week. While looking through boxes in the garage I came across a magazine I'd saved from the year after I graduated from high school, the California Prep Football 1969 Yearbook. This magazine, and one for basketball, was produced for several years about that time. I thought it would be interesting to see who the top teams were then compared to now. If nothing else it shows that only a handful of teams have stayed consistently good over the years and changing demographics have had a very large impact on the football scene. Plus, it reminds me that I am a senior citizen who graduated 54 years ago.

I won't do all the sections but here are a few - and these are preseason rankings. These are all top to bottom top ten.

Sac-Joaquin: Mira Loma, Edison, Downey, Tracy, Bella Vista, Yuba City, Stagg, Sacramento,Johnson, Ceres.
North Coast: Alameda, Vallejo, Hogan, Pleasant Hill, Arroyo, Hayward, Terra Linda, San Ramon, Concord, Castro Valley
Central Coast: Los Altos, Riordan, Woodside, Soquel, Campbell, South San Francisco, Sequoia, Serra, Piedmont Hills, Los Gatos
Southern: Anaheim, El Rancho, Lakewood, St. Paul, West Covina, Santa Barbara, Redlands, Blair, Mater Dei, Loara
State Top Twenty: Anaheim, El Rancho, Lakewood, St. Paul, West Covina, Santa Barbara, Redlands, Mira Loma, Fresno, Alameda, Vallejo, Blair, Mater Dei, Los Altos, Loara, Hogan, Riordan, Gardena, Canoga Park, Pleasant Hill

The all state team had only one player that would have any resonance today - Lynn Swann, from Serra. Old-timers might also remember James McAlister, who played at UCLA.

Time has not been kind to most of these teams. Not even listed is the Central Section, where the top team was Fresno and all of the teams listed are way down in the rankings today. The same goes for the San Diego Section, where only Oceanside at number 9 is even remotely relevant today. Over the years schools at the very top of the food chain have come and gone (Cordova was once the top team in the state, now...........) and new dynasties have risen. Time waits for no one.
Very interesting - thanks for sharing!

Talent spread to more schools. Folsom happened to Cordova. Stockton has more schools too. The year you're talking about. Edison had 10 guys on the team that ran the 100 yard under 10 flat. And several of them were linemen! St Mary's and Lincoln seemed to improve as Edison slipped ?

Good post. I remember James McAlister. Starred in track as a long jumper At UCLA as well. Great football player for the Bruins if tgat era. USC and UCLA dominated the Pac 8 in those days

The rise of the private/parochials is one of the major differences between today's CA preps and those of yore.

Reactions: remc
Here is the SF Chronicle's final 1968 NorCal poll:

1. (Tie) Alameda and Serra.
3. Mira Loma
4. Edison
5. Los Altos
6. Pleasant Hill
7. Woodside
8. Vallejo
9. Sequoia
10. Ayer
11. Tracy
12. Monterey
13. South SF
14. Coalinga
15. Fresno
16. St. Francis
17. Hayward
18. Hogan
19. Arroyo
20. Sanger

I love it That Pleasant Hill High School is Listed in the State Top 20!!!….

That is now a Middle School where both my kids went!!…. 🤣

Here is the SF Chronicle's final 1969 NorCal poll:

1. Alameda
2. Mission S.J.
3. Concord
4. Alhambra
5. Edison
6. Serra
7. Vallejo
8. (Tie) Ignacio Valley and Edison
10. El Camino (Sac)
11. (Tie) Mira Loma and Terra Linda
13. Berkeley
14. Santa Rosa
15. Dos Palos
16. Gunn
17. Castro Valley
18. Westmoor
19. Overfelt
20. Lincoln (SF)
21. Willow Glen
22. Sacramento

An examination of the two late 1960s SF Chronicle polls is eye-opening for several reasons: The distinct lack of private/parochials; the presence of several schools which have closed; the presence of a couple of schools that still exist but no longer field football teams. Those were different times.

Reactions: THEOC89

1. Alameda
2. Mission S.J.
3. Concord
4. Alhambra
5. Edison
6. Serra
7. Vallejo
10. El Camino (Sac)
13. Berkeley
14. Santa Rosa
15. Dos Palos
16. Gunn
17. Castro Valley
18. Westmoor
19. Overfelt
20. Lincoln (SF)
21. Willow Glen
22. Sacramento
Mission SJ and Westmoor - my, my, my how times have changed.

1. Alameda
2. Mission S.J.
3. Concord
4. Alhambra
5. Edison
6. Serra
7. Vallejo
10. El Camino (Sac)
13. Berkeley
14. Santa Rosa
15. Dos Palos
16. Gunn
17. Castro Valley
18. Westmoor
19. Overfelt
20. Lincoln (SF)
21. Willow Glen
22. Sacramento
Do you have the final poll for 1970?

Good post. I remember James McAlister. Starred in track as a long jumper At UCLA as well. Great football player for the Bruins if tgat era. USC and UCLA dominated the Pac 8 in those days

a
Alameda may have had Eric Cross, later a good player for Stanford. Westmoor had a running back (Lewis?) whose brother was a running back for the 49ers ... Serra had Lynn Swann, switched to quarterback from WR and running the Power-i. Back-to-back victories that season over SI and Riordan were considered upsets.

a

Alameda may have had Eric Cross, later a good player for Stanford. Westmoor had a running back (Lewis?) whose brother was a running back for the 49ers ... Serra had Lynn Swann, switched to quarterback from WR and running the Power-i. Back-to-back victories that season over SI and Riordan were considered upsets.
I remember Cross and Swann. Both Alameda and Vallejo were powerful with the help of Alameda Naval Air and Mare Island

Two of my brothers were at Concord HS in 1969, and I went to a few games…. The Minutemen almost never threw a pass, and nearly all their runs were between the tackles. They went for 2 on every PAT and usually were successful. They’d win games by scores like 22-0 or 16-0, very few were in doubt by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I don’t think they even gave up one score all year.

They had one nonleague game before the reg. season and there were no playoffs, not even sections.

1. Alameda
2. Mission S.J.
3. Concord
4. Alhambra
5. Edison
6. Serra
7. Vallejo
10. El Camino (Sac)
Would that #8 be Ygnacio Valley HS that is next to DLS, or was there another school Ignacio Valley?

Here is another Top 20 list from the SF Chronicle....The end of year poll from 1961:

1. Sequoia
2. Monterey
3. San Leandro and McLane (Fresno)
5. Los Altos and Franklin (Stockton)
7. Stagg (Stockton)
8. Alameda
9. Serra
10. Bellarmine
11. Santa Cruz and Willow Glen
13. Sunnyvale and Camden (both now closed)
15. Arroyo and Turlock
17. Fremont (Sunnyvale), Downey (Modesto), Edison (Stockton)
20. Pittsburg

In 1961, the Sequoia defense was so stout it permitted less than one yard per carry by opponents. The Cherokees' offense was strictly single-wing in those days. So they didn't score a shocking bundle of points. But scoring against them nearly took an Act of God.

Here is another Top 20 list from the SF Chronicle....The end of year poll from 1961:

1. Sequoia
2. Monterey
3. San Leandro and McLane (Fresno)
5. Los Altos and Franklin (Stockton)
7. Stagg (Stockton)
8. Alameda
9. Serra
10. Bellarmine
11. Santa Cruz and Willow Glen
13. Sunnyvale and Camden (both now closed)
15. Arroyo and Turlock
17. Fremont (Sunnyvale), Downey (Modesto), Edison (Stockton)
20. Pittsburg
What is the source for these Chronicle polls?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT