ADVERTISEMENT

Top 17U/16U teams through April

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
With April basketball wrapping up this weekend. here is how I see the pecking order for 17U/16U

17U

1. Oakland Soldiers
2. Lakeshow
3. Team Sacramento
4. MB3
5. Team Arsenal

On the bubble: SF Rebels, Team Lillard

16U

1. Chuck Hayes
2. Team Lillard
3. WCE 16s NorCal
4. Oakland Soldiers
5. Lakeshow

On the bubble: Arsenal, SF Rebels

Reactions: BenParker
With April basketball wrapping up this weekend. here is how I see the pecking order for 17U/16U

17U

1. Oakland Soldiers
2. Lakeshow
3. Team Sacramento
4. MB3
5. Team Arsenal

On the bubble: SF Rebels, Team Lillard

16U

1. Chuck Hayes
2. Team Lillard
3. WCE 16s NorCal
4. Oakland Soldiers
5. Lakeshow

On the bubble: Arsenal, SF Rebels

Out of curiosity, why only top 5? Hotshots,SF Rebels, StanCo, WCE NorCal have multiple 16U teams, Seaside Finest, Rosecity ect. Lakeshow arguably might be #1 in both though.

I thought I had a good handle on the top 5 and didn't want to just start slapping teams on there.

On the 16s rankings, it is based on the top team of each program.

I thought I had a good handle on the top 5 and didn't want to just start slapping teams on there.

On the 16s rankings, it is based on the top team of each program.
Thank for your response. Nowadays, simply mentioning teams are big deals. Kudos to you from recognizing them. Plays a huge part in team/program marketing as well as players. Some programs may never break into that circle even though they have a good program/teams or players. Thanks again..

Word on the street is that some big name players have left the Soldiers. Any confirmation and where are they going?

Saw that the freshman PG Dior Johnson is now running with another team (a 15U or 16U team I believe), so assume he is one of the Soldiers leaving, who else? Can only assume if they lose multiple players, there will be some new top shelf talent coming in too...

Dior was good for an old freshmen. But he was in over his head and Chance cooked him when Lakeshow played the Soldiers. (he cooked everyone that was trying to guard him) The Soldiers had better players on the bench who should have been playing over Dior. Beasley, Clark and Thompson...You show the youngster some Love by playing him over guys who are rising seniors and need scholarships and he ends up leaving you anyway. Cold game..

Last edited:
@superle I agree i don’t see what why people are so high on the freshman. I mean he’s advance for his class but i don’t see pro oozing from him. Word is that Chance is now playing with the Soldiers and going post grad. Great pick up. His best basketball is ahead of him. Reminds me of Damian Lillard in high school. I think he will get some mid-high major scholarships on the circuit

Reactions: nostancenochance
Yeah. Its true Chance is gonna be running with Slam N Jam Soldiers according to his High School coach at Jesse Bethel.
I wonder how that's gonna effect the guard rotation because Chance was clearly better then every guard guard the Soilders had on team. HE cooked them all, including Jalen Green. It got to the point they had to put the 6 foot 9 Harrison Barnes type wing from LA to guard him. And the big wing caused Chance problems of the big wingspan But Chance got buckets on him as well.

Yeah. Its true Chance is gonna be running with Slam N Jam Soldiers according to his High School coach at Jesse Bethel.
I wonder how that's gonna effect the guard rotation because Chance was clearly better then every guard guard the Soilders had on team. HE cooked them all, including Jalen Green. It got to the point they had to put the 6 foot 9 Harrison Barnes type wing from LA to guard him. And the big wing caused Chance problems of the big wingspan But Chance got buckets on him as well.
Chance has game, no doubt...senior though...shouldn't he ball?

Being a senior is part of it. Be he can ball. I think his best basketball is ahead of him. Late bloomer. At this point he’s now 2020 so we can’t sit here and debate how old he is right?
I started with he can ball...but he isn't 2020...he graduates from Bethel this month. I love Chance's game...no debate from me at all. His future is definitely bright.

Just saw that Jalen Green has left the Soldiers for another EYBL squad, Team WhyNot (joining up with Nimari Burnett)...

Good move by green I believe team whynot lost in the finals of peach jam last year him teaming up with Nimari iBurnett will make them very tough to deal with.

17s...
1a. Soldiers 17s eybl. They have lost 1 key player
1b. Lake Show...They are close. Lake show has been on a very good run. It's probably a push with Soldiers, but they lost there best player to the Soldiers.

2. Team Lillard. Very good on the Gauntlet in Gold bracket.
3. MB 3. Has a high major player
4. SF rebels. Good on Gauntlet.
5. Team Sacramento
6. Team Arsenal
7. Yba
8. WCE 17s
9. Bay Area Warriors
10. Peak basketball

16s.
this the most competitive division in Norcal and it's a tough one. Everyone can beat everyone. I don't know if it is a true clear Number 1. But I will just group them.

Top teams.

Team Lillard-was the number 2 ranked team in country last year in the 15 and under division. Has only lost 2 games this year and never lost to a Norcal team in there age bracket until this year.

Lakeshow white. Just won city championship beating Oakland Soldiers 16 eybl team in varsity division.

SF Soldiers-Team is just taking names and knocking them off. Knocked off Team Arsenal 16s, SF Rebels, Oakland Rebel 17s. Team Lillard [only norcal team to do that], Wce elite 16s, Wce 17s, YBA 17s. lost in semi-finals of the 17 Elite division at city championships to Team Lillard 17s.

Lakeshow blue- The more talented lake show team, lost in quarterfinals of the elite division in the city championship.

Oakland Soldiers 16 eybl
Won soldier tournament. Beat Lakeshow blue team by 20. Lost in finals of varsity division championship to the Lake Show 16s.

WCE 16s norcal. Good team on paper. Did well out of town But will they come and play anyone locally or are they ducking and dodging.

Sf Rebels. Went 4-1 in Adidas Gauntlet.

Sac Hotshots
Team Arsenal
NBBA
Phenoms
YBA 16s

Reactions: Renard Monroe
16s.
Oakland Soldiers 16 eybl
Won soldier tournament. Beat Lakeshow blue team by 20. Lost in finals of varsity division championship to the Lake Show 16s.

How did Nigel Burris look? I heard he's running with the Oakland Soldiers 16u team.

nigel is s young stud. He played well on the Oakland Soldiers eybl 16s. They lost in finals to the Lakeshow 16s. Nigel Showed an inside outside game. Got a dunk in transition. Knocked down a three. Did some of the little things he needs to do as a player. He is developing into a high major power 5 conference wingman. Needs to work on his defense and rebounding but it's a process.

The soldiers are struggling and lost Tyler Green and picked up Lakeshows best player. MB3 just picked up Shemar and 6’10 from Hillcrest. Team Sacramento picked up Kendall Munson this last weekend. I think both MB3 and Team Sacramento would easily beat lakeshow and can both beat the soldiers as they are struggling as a team. Those 4 teams are your top 4 17’s

1) MB3 - Size and a top 40 player. Need to be more consistent just watched their double OT win over Team Sac.
2) Soldiers EYBL - talented roster and a top 20 player. Inconsistent play over last 2 Eybl stops. Without Zaire, they might be the 4th best team in NorCal
3) Team Sacramento - solid guards/wings and a top 100 player. Needs size to consistently compete with the best teams on the west coast. Disappointing finish against MB3
4) lakeshow - lost their best player and still competing. Just beat Lillard. Pearson has been a huge pickup for them. Not sure where they would be without him.
5) SF Rebels/Team Lillard

No one else worthy to rank imo

The soldiers are struggling and lost Tyler Green and picked up Lakeshows best player. MB3 just picked up Shemar and 6’10 from Hillcrest. Team Sacramento picked up Kendall Munson this last weekend. I think both MB3 and Team Sacramento would easily beat lakeshow and can both beat the soldiers as they are struggling as a team. Those 4 teams are your top 4 17’s

1) MB3 - Size and a top 40 player. Need to be more consistent just watched their double OT win over Team Sac.
2) Soldiers EYBL - talented roster and a top 20 player. Inconsistent play over last 2 Eybl stops. Without Zaire, they might be the 4th best team in NorCal
3) Team Sacramento - solid guards/wings and a top 100 player. Needs size to consistently compete with the best teams on the west coast. Disappointing finish against MB3
4) lakeshow - lost their best player and still competing. Just beat Lillard. Pearson has been a huge pickup for them. Not sure where they would be without him.

So Kendall who played with ML20 to start the season, then went to Seattle Rotary is now with Team Sacramento?
Were you referring to Jalen Green ?

Nigel Burris's parents are both University of San Francisco grads. To the best of my knowledge, USF has not offered.

Nigel Burris's parents are both University of San Francisco grads. To the best of my knowledge, USF has not offered.

Previous Coach Kyle Smith offered him from what I understand, but now he has gone to Washington St so I am not sure the status of the scholie. I believe Nigel also has an offer from UCSB. I remember Gonzaga was at the Crush in the Valley Tournament and watched his game against Vanden, so they could be up next in offering a scholie.

nigel is s young stud. He played well on the Oakland Soldiers eybl 16s. They lost in finals to the Lakeshow 16s. Nigel Showed an inside outside game. Got a dunk in transition. Knocked down a three. Did some of the little things he needs to do as a player. He is developing into a high major power 5 conference wingman. Needs to work on his defense and rebounding but it's a process.

SuperLe....I couldn't agree more about all of the above. Good to hear they made the finals. Didn't have the best showing at the Peach Jam, but seemed to bounce back nicely in the city tournament.

I think next season he will be a rebounding machine. The defense should come with age.

Thanks for the Top ranking. We have only lost 1 game with a full team. That was to Vegas Elite Eybl and rightfully so, they are very talented. Only other losses were to ML20 and Hoop Salem, both games were played without Marcus, and Tyjean Burrell. However; we did Beat SF Rebels by 20 without Marcus, who right before beat lillard by 10. So I don’t know how to rank all these teams with the changing of rosters, but I know at full strength we will be a Top Team in Nor Cal. We also beat team Sacramento with no Marcus or tyjean. From my knowledge Kendall and the other kid from rotary were only playing that weekend, and are not a part of team sac. If that’s the case I would have lakeshow and soldiers above team sac.

Thanks for the Top ranking. We have only lost 1 game with a full team. That was to Vegas Elite Eybl and rightfully so, they are very talented. Only other losses were to ML20 and Hoop Salem, both games were played without Marcus, and Tyjean Burrell. However; we did Beat SF Rebels by 20 without Marcus, who right before beat lillard by 10. So I don’t know how to rank all these teams with the changing of rosters, but I know at full strength we will be a Top Team in Nor Cal. We also beat team Sacramento with no Marcus or tyjean. From my knowledge Kendall and the other kid from rotary were only playing that weekend, and are not a part of team sac. If that’s the case I would have lakeshow and soldiers above team sac.
MB3 is a top team for sure, Soldiers are stacked as well, the EYBL is a monster and people who haven't experienced that competition really can't compare. Marcus played on that level so he knows, SF Rebels beat Lillard by 10? It was a 3 point game with 10 seconds to go...Lillard missed a three to send to overtime which was their first weekend playing but I believe all the nor cal teams are pretty good. I would put MB3 and Soldier's at the too...I would like to see Lakeshow play Lillard when their leading scorer is in the lineup...but at the end of the day o hope all the players are developing, and getting exposure to have an opportunity to play at the next level.

MB3 is a top team for sure, Soldiers are stacked as well, the EYBL is a monster and people who haven't experienced that competition really can't compare. Marcus played on that level so he knows, SF Rebels beat Lillard by 10? It was a 3 point game with 10 seconds to go...Lillard missed a three to send to overtime which was their first weekend playing but I believe all the nor cal teams are pretty good. I would put MB3 and Soldier's at the too...I would like to see Lakeshow play Lillard when their leading scorer is in the lineup...but at the end of the day o hope all the players are developing, and getting exposure to have an opportunity to play at the next level.

I had just walked in the gym and the game just ended showing a 12 point lead for Rebels over lillard, must have been a mistake. All I know is Vegas is the real deal. Blew us out with our whole roster set. Those guys can go.

I had just walked in the gym and the game just ended showing a 12 point lead for Rebels over lillard, must have been a mistake. All I know is Vegas is the real deal. Blew us out with our whole roster set. Those guys can go.
Definitely a mistake but yeah I saw Vegas highlights. Talented team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT