ADVERTISEMENT

Tragic News

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Last night San Ramon Valley OL/DL Jake Javier suffered a serious neck injury as a result of diving into a swimming pool and was not able to feel or move his feet when he went into surgery. Jake is a Cal Poly football commit. Let's pray for Jake.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Jake's parents posted a message thanking everyone for their concern and stating that Jake is paralyzed from the shoulders down. According to his surgeons he has a 20% chance of regaining some use of his arms and hands, which will be apparent within two weeks. They go on to encourage the rest of us to live life to it's fullest because things can change in an instant.

Last edited:
Praying for him and his family. Saw Frank Somerville posted this on a FB page and the news made me sick.

My wife was paralvzed from the neck down in a car accident about 16 years ago with a C2/C3 injury.. She was ventilater dependent and told she would never be off the ventilator and would always be dependent the rest of her life. About a month later she was able to move one of her fingers and over time she was able to feed herself and finally walk again. She is still an incomplete/hemi quad (one side of body function is close to normal and other side she has some paralysis and nerve damage but only wears a brace on her foot and is very active. There was a period of time where she was able to get up on snow skiis. The interesting thing about spinal injuries is that the nerves do regenerate some over time and you need to work hard to bring back connections. She steadily has improved in many ways but has taken lots of hard work on her side and shear desire and also by God's grace. It is very important not to lose faith and to keep focused and never put a ceiling on the ability to improve.Stem cell research and applications also is looking very promising. I met my wife about a year after her accident and we look at pictures and videos and it is astounding the improvement. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man and his family. It is very important to stay positive and know there is a good chance for improvement especially in the first year, but also I have noticed strength and motor improvements a decade later. We have friends that hare paras that couldn't walk and can now. Each injury is different, but they know so much more now how to treat these injuries and staying positive as hard as it is threw this is the number one indicator of improving the condition. It takes a desire to fight through it as much as you can and the earlier the better. It is not a time to be resigned to a destiny but to fight for one.

Jake is in our prayers and thoughts.

NorCalSportsFan thanks for sharing.
Similar occurrence with a cousin who was like a twin brother for me from the day he was born. A HS 2 sport athlete, he gave up a semi pro ball career for marriage and the hometown fire department. Was promoted to Captain on a Friday and thru an accident became a quadriplegic the following Tuesday. He has never, ever said never.

Words to live by: It is not a time to be resigned to a destiny but to fight for one.

Bubba please keep us updated

Reactions: larry legend33
Last night San Ramon Valley OL/DL Jake Javier suffered a serious neck injury as a result of diving into a swimming pool and was not able to feel or move his feet when he went into surgery. Jake is a Cal Poly football commit. Let's pray for Jake.

Three years ago, a LB from Santiago HS in Corona (Jordan Walker ) dislocated his neck in a game and is currently paralyzed from the neck down. I would strongly suggest the Javier family contact the walkers. This is a setback but life moves on...May God Be With the Javier family...

Check out his story .. http://www.foxsports.com/west/story...miling-despite-paralysis-from-2013-hit-102314

The link to Julie Haener's Facebook page didn't copy and paste into the window, so here it is:

Jake is having trouble breathing on his own. His right lung started to collapse because of a build up of fluids and cannot remove the mucus fast enough. Jake has an infection and is now on antibiotics, but there is concern they may not be working. The doctors at John Muir performed a tracheotomy on Monday to help Jake breathe better. They’re worried he could get pneumonia, which would be very dangerous at this stage. Since his initial surgery to stabilize his spine last Thursday night, Jake has been under heavy sedation to allow his body to heal. He’s expected to remain in intensive care for the next couple of weeks. The good news is the MRI showed that Jake’s spine was not severed, so there is still hope he will be able to regain movement in his arms and hands. This is all so difficult and sad!

Jake’s sister, Gabby, tweeted, “Let this be a reminder to everyone to live in the moment and to not take the simple things in life for granted, such as the ability to run or the ability to retain memories. Life can change drastically within seconds, make the best of it.” The Javier family says they have been deeply touched by the overwhelming outpouring of love, support and well wishes being sent their way. They are extremely grateful! They know Jake is getting the best possible care at John Muir but can still use your positive thoughts and prayers to help them stay strong through this incredibly difficult time.

As soon as I get new information I will be sure to keep you updated on Jake’s condition.

Very sobering thread and makes everyone slow down and think about the things that really count in life. Best wishes/prayers to the young man and his family in what will likely be a long and rigorous recovery [hopefully].

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT