ADVERTISEMENT

Tyran Stokes to Notre Dame SO

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
Prolific loses 2 no 1 players in a month span

Let the rebuild begin….

Last edited:
You mean he left a prep school for a regular high school? Well he has no chance now right? Lol

Believe it or not the Grind Session is better than CIF basketball…..others may not agree but that is my opinion. Only league better in the country is EYBL Scholastic.

But for the next two years the Socal basketball scene is going to be scary good.

Believe it or not the Grind Session is better than CIF basketball…..others may not agree but that is my opinion. Only league better in the country is EYBL Scholastic.

But for the next two years the Socal basketball scene is going to be scary good.
The games that I was able to see in the Grind session resembled AAU basketball. Excellent talent but almost looked like pick-up.

I would be extremely shocked if he didn’t reclassify and just play one more year.

Ayalar I know we joke around but why do you think those two guys in particular left ? I know it is the world we live in but PP is a top 5 prep team nationwide.

Not my place to talk about. So I will answer with things that have already been released by other media as facts.

With Dybantsa, the school he transferred too offered the dad a paid position at the school, so yeah. Prep schools, there are no rules. It is what it is. It’s akin to the Knicks offering Jalen Brunsons dad a spot on the Knicks bench, in order to sign Brunson. But it’s high school. But welcome to HS Basketball in 2024.

With Stokes, he wanted the full high school experience where basketball wasn’t the only focus. Prolific usually doesn’t take freshman for this very reason, but Tyran was special. He is special, and while it’s tough to see him go, I wish him nothing but good things at his new school.

I’m sure in the coming weeks we will see some updates on next years team.

Not my place to talk about. So I will answer with things that have already been released by other media as facts.

With Dybantsa, the school he transferred too offered the dad a paid position at the school, so yeah. Prep schools, there are no rules. It is what it is. It’s akin to the Knicks offering Jalen Brunsons dad a spot on the Knicks bench, in order to sign Brunson. But it’s high school. But welcome to HS Basketball in 2024.

With Stokes, he wanted the full high school experience where basketball wasn’t the only focus. Prolific usually doesn’t take freshman for this very reason, but Tyran was special. He is special, and while it’s tough to see him go, I wish him nothing but good things at his new school.

I’m sure in the coming weeks we will see some updates on next years team.
They will get some players I have no doubt about that.

Heard this on a CBS Sports College Basketball podcast. AJ Dybantsa said Prolific Prep wanted a two year commitment and him and his family wanted one year. Played one year and then went to Utah Prep (likely for the reasons already mentioned on here).

Just found it an interesting behind the curtain look at how these things play out

Heard this on a CBS Sports College Basketball podcast. AJ Dybantsa said Prolific Prep wanted a two year commitment and him and his family wanted one year. Played one year and then went to Utah Prep (likely for the reasons already mentioned on here).

Just found it an interesting behind the curtain look at how these things play out

NIL has completely flipped things upside down. Guys who are five stars, even in high school are looking for how much money they can make over winning a Championship.

Kinda sad, but it’s reality. If Tyran and AJ wanted to essentially assure themselves a National Championship they would have stayed.

Montverde lost all their guys so It would have been a three way battle between Prolific, Link and Columbus HS.

NIL has completely flipped things upside down. Guys who are five stars, even in high school are looking for how much money they can make over winning a Championship.

Kinda sad, but it’s reality. If Tyran and AJ wanted to essentially assure themselves a National Championship they would have stayed.

Montverde lost all their guys so It would have been a three way battle between Prolific, Link and Columbus HS.
There wasn't a sure thing they would win vs link or Columbus

Nobody cares about a geico/chipotle/Popeyes 8 team prep school (AAU) national championship. It’s all about getting paid and I can’t really say I blame them. And btw you think montverde won’t reload? You can take the field I will take montverde to be the best team next year.

Nobody cares about a geico/chipotle/Popeyes 8 team prep school (AAU) national championship. It’s all about getting paid and I can’t really say I blame them. And btw you think montverde won’t reload? You can take the field I will take montverde to be the best team next year.

Sorry but the geico/chipotle nationals are the only thing that matters and just because CIF doesn’t let its teams participate, doesn’t mean it isn’t superior to anything we have in California.

I’d say winning the Open title in CIF or whatever section you want to put up, is easier to do than winning the Grind Session Championship which Prolific has done the last two seasons.

As for who is the favorite, give me Link over everyone right now. Look at who they have added over the summer to already go with a couple of guys like Jasper Johnson who have stuck around!

Just watched Stokes and Dybantsa play for Oakland Soldiers at the Peach Jam on Youtube... They play so well together, kinda sad they'll be playing on different teams next season.

Just one of them in Sherman Oaks will be tough enough... Hard to imagine many CIF teams being able to compete with those two (and the others they already have down there).

Anyway, I'll make ND Sherman Oaks my very early favorite to win the Open state title at Golden 1.

Looking further... Their top scorer, Mercy Miller, graduated... But he was the only senior that played much. And they add Stokes.

Yep, my way way way way wayyyyyyyy too early prediction stands.

Just watched Stokes and Dybantsa play for Oakland Soldiers at the Peach Jam on Youtube... They play so well together, kinda sad they'll be playing on different teams next season.

Just one of them in Sherman Oaks will be tough enough... Hard to imagine many CIF teams being able to compete with those two (and the others they already have down there).

Anyway, I'll make ND Sherman Oaks my very early favorite to win the Open state title at Golden 1.

Sorry Kiddman but I disagree. While he def makes them formidable, you still have so many teams to compete with in SoCal, and some of those teams have more than one guy. If I’m coaching against ND Sherman Oaks, I’m hack a Shaqing Stokes late in any game; and I am double teaming him the entire game. This isn’t Prolific where Stokes had 3-4 other 5 stars to play with. While he is a great player, I think Riordan right now would beat them by double digits. I think Salesian would beat them by double digits.

I can probably name 3-4 Socal teams that could do that same.

There is a very good reason I have pop culture holes in my trivia game. I don't like it.

Haven't gone to a current movie in like 10 years, only place I hear rap is in HS gyms (and on TV watching Warriors games).

I watch very little primetime TV, haven't in years... except for a few sitcoms like Bing Bang Theory, and even those in reruns...

Very little pop music of any kind since the 80's, and even that not very much of it. I'm more into 20's and 30's traditional jazz... One big exception is the Carpenters. Love their stuff.

Last edited:
Back to Stokes... He and the Oakland Soldiers are on NBA tv right now. Peach Jam final. 12-5 Nightryders Elite at the moment.

Also live on YouTube.

There is a very good reason I have pop culture holes in my trivia game. I don't like it.

Haven't gone to a current movie in like 10 years, only place I hear rap is in HS gyms (and on TV watching Warriors games).

I watch very little primetime TV, haven't in years... except for a few sitcoms like Bing Bang Theory, and even those in reruns...

Very little pop music of any kind since the 80's, and even that not very much of it. I'm more into 20's and 30's traditional jazz... One big exception is the Carpenters. Love their stuff.
I don't think many have gone to a movie in 10 years.
Mercy is the son of master P. Richmond/ New Orleans legend.

Yeah, I saw the Master P reference earlier. I've sorta heard of him... a rapper, I think...

By "not going to a movie", that also means I haven't streamed, rented, or any other means. I did watch Pee Wee Herman's movie a few months ago, but that was strictly because of a trivia thing I do. So I guess there are some exceptions... but VERY few.

Anyway, the Soldiers lost by 10 or so, to an incredible team that did something that had never been done before at the Peach Jam. Nightryders won U15 two years ago, U16 last year, and now U17.

Yeah, I saw the Master P reference earlier. I've sorta heard of him... a rapper, I think...

By "not going to a movie", that also means I haven't streamed, rented, or any other means. I did watch Pee Wee Herman's movie a few months ago, but that was strictly because of a trivia thing I do. So I guess there are some exceptions... but VERY few.

Anyway, the Soldiers lost by 10 or so, to an incredible team that did something that had never been done before at the Peach Jam. Nightryders won U15 two years ago, U16 last year, and now U17.
The boozers are very talented but they are winners more than that. Just flat out get it done.

And it's not just the Boozers. They have a bunch of other studs and play team ball, and these guys have been together every summer for at least a few years.

Which makes me rethink my hot take re: ND Sherman Oaks. They'll be one of the favorites, not necessarily THE favorite... unless they mold together like the Nightryders have.

Kiddman I have a Pee Wee Herman story for you . I was visiting New York several years ago.
I went to what I consider the Best Pastrami sandwich in the world, at Katz's Delicatession.
I walked in, got my ticket, grabbed my sandwich and headed into the back.

There was a large crowed surrounding Pee Wee Hermon himself. The crowed eventually thins out. He walked over to my table, just as I was going to dive into my sandwich.
I looked up at him and said " Your Good , But This Sandwich Is Better "
He Looked up at me and said " I Can Live With That "

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: kiddman32
Kiddman I have a Pee Wee Herman story for you . I was visiting New York several years ago.
I went to what I consider the Best Pastrami sandwich in the world, at Katz's Delicatession.
I walked in, got my ticket, grabbed my sandwich and headed into the back.

There was a large crowed surrounding Pee Wee Hermon himself. The crowed eventually thins out. He walked over to my table, just as I was going to dive into my sandwich.
I looked up at him and said " Your Good , But This Sandwich Is Better "
He Looked up at me and said " I Can Live With That "

Here's wishing you great hoops
Did he have the Rueben? Yeah I’ll admit that is terrible.

Please don't believe what a father says to a media person. We have NEVER signed anyone to a multi year contract. We don't have 1 year deals or 2 year deals as he implied to play basketball at Prolific Prep. That is misinformation and flat out for his own ego I have to assume. Contracts are for the NBA Professionals. Please don't believe everything you read. Also, what if the father was hard to deal with and wasn't asked back to the program? It is a two-way street with our program. Not everyone is asked to come back, even if they are the #1 player in the Country. We have had four #1's to date, and will have a few more coming in the very near future. Stay Tuned.

We wish AJ the best. He didn't find out he was leaving our program until a day before he left. That is how the father works and it was a transactional decision for the father. AJ was not happy about it and still isn't. But It is part of the business and we completely get it. It won't be the first, and it will not be the last with the NIL Market. It is the cost of being in the basketball business and we will have to Pivot and rely on Culture, Platform and Merit. We had 2 kids get drafted in the NBA this past draft and will have two more I assume next year.

But I will say this, get your seatbelts on with that one.
Fair enough. I think it came from a reputable source of info to post it here and then you get the chance to rebuff it, which you did.

So the story then would be AJ was never asked to signed a multi year commitment and beause of his father, he wasn't asked back for this coming season.

Looking forward to seeing the roster this year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT