ADVERTISEMENT

UC Davis Elite Camp

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
I have seen reports of Heritage’s Abigail Muse, Lincoln-Stockton duo Lu Cabuena and Faith Shelton and Del Oro’s Madison Parry as some of the local players at UC Davis this week.

Does anyone know of other players who attended?

I have seen reports of Heritage’s Abigail Muse, Lincoln-Stockton duo Lu Cabuena and Faith Shelton and Del Oro’s Madison Parry as some of the local players at UC Davis this week.

Does anyone know of other players who attended?

My impression of these college run "elite" camps is that the coaches go into them with lists of the players they are already interested in, then spend the whole time sucking up to their targeted recruits. So basically a waste of time, money, and effort by everyone.

Anyone (other than college coaches making money off of these things) feel differently?

Reactions: LBJ6
My impression of these college run "elite" camps is that the coaches go into them with lists of the players they are already interested in, then spend the whole time sucking up to their targeted recruits. So basically a waste of time, money, and effort by everyone.

Anyone (other than college coaches making money off of these things) feel differently?

in my experience thats pretty spot on. once in a while they'll see someone unexpected but for the most part, it is a waste of time and money. Worst part is that kids/parents continue to get emails talking about interest and future clubs act and the family seriously thinks they're getting recruited. smh

Personalogic—sadly, that has also been my experience on many “elite camps.” The more disingenuous part are the hundreds of kids that get “invites” but the school actually has zero interest in them. It becomes a money maker rather than an opportunity

However, I have taken my own child as well as several of our kids to the UC Davis Elite Camp and it was one of the best we have been to. Coach Gross and her staff were very organized, ran great stations, and the kids all leaned and got better while rotating through each staff member. So kids have a chance to impress the entire staff equally and the station work was great stuff. I would recommend this camp for anyone wanting to get better.

But, again, this great experience is not the norm

Personalogic—sadly, that has also been my experience on many “elite camps.” The more disingenuous part are the hundreds of kids that get “invites” but the school actually has zero interest in them. It becomes a money maker rather than an opportunity

However, I have taken my own child as well as several of our kids to the UC Davis Elite Camp and it was one of the best we have been to. Coach Gross and her staff were very organized, ran great stations, and the kids all leaned and got better while rotating through each staff member. So kids have a chance to impress the entire staff equally and the station work was great stuff. I would recommend this camp for anyone wanting to get better.

But, again, this great experience is not the norm

My feedback on the UC Davis camp specifically is a few years old. Glad it has improved. Can you provide some particulars on how many hours it is, the cost, the number of players, etc. ?

One issue with the school camps is that they often use players as instructors -- and college players are not necessarily skilled instructors.

Very fair points about the elite games.

Like anything, there needs to be buyer discretion about what camps work best for each prospect or if they even help at all. IMO, the issue is colleges selling false hope and a lack of understanding of the recruiting process from players/families.

There are good and bad ones, but they can be beneficial if used right.

One issue with the school camps is that they often use players as instructors -- and college players are not necessarily skilled instructors.
LOL there are a lot of college coaches out there that are not skilled instructors!

We attended UCLA's invite only camp on Monday with only 35-40 kids total. All different positions but the coaches know exactly what they are looking for and Chip Kelly is rebuilding the culture. Guarantee a winning record this year. Rose Bowl 2-3 years.

We attended UCLA's invite only camp on Monday with only 35-40 kids total. All different positions but the coaches know exactly what they are looking for and Chip Kelly is rebuilding the culture. Guarantee a winning record this year. Rose Bowl 2-3 years.

Let's hope Chip understands the nuances of the pick and roll and the 2-2-1 half court zone press.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT