ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball update

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
First cuts, from 133 to 91, included two NorCal girls: Maile Williams (now at Elk Grove) and Jessica Miller (Red Bluff).

Angel Jackson, Nailah Dillard, Daylee Dunn and Haley Jones still going.

Jones has the best chance to make the final 12, which will be announced Monday at 8 a.m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Nailah Dillard and Daylee Dunn cut after the afternoon session.

Does anyone know why Ila Lane didn't come? She was on the list but then decided not to come.

64 left heading into tonight's session.

Sounds like a good showing for the NorCal contingent. Four players make the first cut.

How has Angel Jackson looked?

Angel has done the things we've come to expect: rebound and block shots. She's had trouble scoring against the taller posts here, but she's held her own.

Congratulations on Allstate Maile Williams & participating at USA team trails! Very talented kid! You proved me wrong

She was One of the first cuts. funny the Dads twitter account and this poster both spelled "Trails" instead of "trials" guarantee this poster is him...smdh when does this act end? "I guess you proved me wrong" . Really Dad?? Bi-polar maybe??

Got The writer from the local paper and the Cal Hi Sports folks fooled but no one else, especially those that have seen her play. Shame Pops has put a target on her back as he has. Guess he hasn't realized she has to get on the court and not him. 5 years, 5 schools and countless AAU teams, all come to the same conclusion: she's ok, not as good as blown up to be, but pops is a nut job.

Last edited:
I did not mean to ruffle any feathers, I assumed she made the team by the post. Thanks for clarifying. Happy trials to you ;)

No worries Jaymel. I know I'm speaking for many of the parents in the Sac area when I say we're sick and tired of the ridiculous hype machine that is the Dad.

I can tell you that I and many in this area were shocked to see the local papers All Metro team, where this player, whose team was well under .500 and 4th in league, made 3rd team all Metro. Even though the person making the team never saw her play. Averaged 11 pts and shot 23% from 3. wasn't even the stat leader or better talent on that team.

Made it over players like SFs Fairbrooks (13.8 90 3s), Davis' Forrester (20ppg, 97 3s). Goodwin from Antelope, Anya Mejia from Bradshaw (21pts, 7rbs, 4stls, 4 assists), Gabby Rones (from WC who carried WC in many games in the playoffs) all of whom are freshman and along with many others who were more deserving. All were on playoff teams. Mejia didn't even get honorable mention or consideration for All State freshman team, which this player also made. All state over Anya Choice, Rosemon (SMB). All off the word of a sportswriter who hadn't seen her play. We all laughed out here because it damn near devalued those who were recognized.

We've heard this dad talk bad about other players for years, talk bad to coaches and recklessly tout his kids greatness, when it has not been warranted. She has never lived up to the hype and won't, yet never stops the grandstanding from dude.

Shame because she is such a sweet kid.

I was surprised to read in an earlier post above that Maile Williams has transferred or will transfer to Elk Grove High School, from Inderkum next season. Elk Grove lost Mira Shulman to graduation and four other seniors, so does Elk Grove have strong returning players? I see five freshman listed too who might have joined the varsity team just before playoff time. I'm not familiar with their team. So it looks like Maile's Dad wants her to play on a team where she will get lots of minutes to play, on a respectable team. But doesn't want to put her on the strongest teams in the area, (Sac, Oak Ridge, West Campus, McClatchy), due to competition and sharing playing time--less chance to get accolades.

Reactions: brianfr11
My sense is that Elk Grove will be good again. Larry Price knows what he's doing ...

How do you qualify to be included in these USA tryouts? Wow, she is leaving Inderkum after just one year, her and Nailah Dillard would have been a nice combination for the next couple of years there.

Its very unfortunate, but we have all seen this act before. Crazy dad or parent ruins player's high school career, it's nothing new. Mallie is not a bad player, but there are ten 2020 players better then her in Sacramento alone.

How do you qualify to be included in these USA tryouts? Wow, she is leaving Inderkum after just one year, her and Nailah Dillard would have been a nice combination for the next couple of years there.

Anyone can go to the tryouts if they are among the first 100 or so to submit an application, a $75 fee (I think) and get a passport. They invite around 35 kids, usually, and my understanding is that the cutoff is 140.

It didn't work out with Dillard because she turned out to be the bigger star and Mallie's dad did not like that. Mallie is really a very nice kid but Pops is just a jerk and beating her up for the sins of the father is kind of wrong. We do not get to pick our parents.

Reactions: Calihoops123
Dillard played well at the Trials ... having her for a full season will be a boost to Inderkum.

Thanks ... it was a tough year for the NorCal girls, but it's a tough year every year, really.

I don't know about that, but I am glad the other coach is gone. I generally cut coaches a big benefit of the doubt, but she was really bad.

Interesting how it seems to be ok to destroy some kids dad on this board but
i "light up" Sue, Tom or Kelly .....just slightly....and people get bent out of shape

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT