ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Irish were missing a different key player each of the first 3 games due to non-injury reasons. Fernley - Uria Uliah; Justin - Zack Lealao; and Homestead Trevar Watkins. Only one Irish out hurt all three games - Herbert Boston with a concussion. Don't know when he will get back. But knock on wood - everyone else healthy and ready to play. And only 2 Irish start both ways Anthony Heard and Areon Mitchell.

Irish were missing a different key player each of the first 3 games due to non-injury reasons. Fernley - Uria Uliah; Justin - Zack Lealao; and Homestead Trevar Watkins. Only one Irish out hurt all three games - Herbert Boston with a concussion. Don't know when he will get back. But knock on wood - everyone else healthy and ready to play. And only 2 Irish start both ways Anthony Heard and Areon Mitchell.

I'm predicting an Irish Victory over the cats and Crusaders this year! I have full confidence in the new coach!

SF over VC: SF has been challenged, VC not so much
Bells over Mitty: Smash mouth FB prevails
SI over SHC: Cream Puff preseason, must take a swallow and SI has the numbers.
Riordan over Serra: This is a prediction of the heart, but two years ago the magical run started here.

May all teams play with Pride, Performance and Purpose.

"We Are Reardon"
SF over VC
Bells win again over Mitty
SI over SH
Riordan takes down Serra

You play with who is available. Every team has player(s) unable to play in a given week. 2-way players will be playing more than a half starting this weekend.

Is the WCAL of 2017 weaker than last season 2016?

Getting a lot of feedback from the SF schools [mostly ARHS & SHC] while S.I. fans are nowhere to be found..[?]. While some fans feel the top tier of the WCAL this season of SF, VC & Serra is not up to par with last season that fact remains to be seen until we get further into this season. IMO from reviewing games, scores and stats the teams overall as a league actually seem stronger than last season IMO.

While the top tier teams lost quite a bit of talent the lower tiers are stronger this season and may provide some surprises as the season continues. The lower tier of SHC, S.I. & Riordan is the most difficult to gauge as of yet and if any of the 3 teams or possibly more than one is ready to challenge Bells or Mitty.
For that matter we simply need to look at possibly the biggest mismatch of week #1 of Serra vs Riordan.
Recent history tells us Serra has a decided edge - or do they? Riordan has some talent this season at skill positions and has shown vast improvement at the most important one which is the QB. Serra is 1-2 and while a much tougher schedule [most difficult of WCAL teams as was 2016] the Padres dropped game #1 in a blow-out to St. Mary's, the same St. Mary;s that was beaten somewhat easily by Central Catholic whom Riordan hung with for a nearly a 1/2 before being blown out in that game by a wide margin.

So what does all this mean? Some Riordan fans feel the Crusader's will take down Serra which is interesting. It is not inconceivable based upon the 2015 Crusader blow-out f then favored Serra in a WCAL classic game and the best of that season.

Here's the computers' overview of power rankings going into this weekends games.

SF 45.2 vs VC 36.5
Bells 27.7 vs MItty 23.5
SHC 17.3 vs S.I. 13.2
Serra 36.7 vs Riordan 6.1

Projected Winners'
VC
Mitty
SHC
Serra

What Most Fans Think:
SF
Bells
SHC - S.I. [split]
Serra

Is Matt Dean still playing? He is a senior and Im sure the Irish could use the extra lineman with size?

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
He is a workhorse and I think he would have had plenty of playing time at SHC. With a 28 player roster, I don't see how he couldn't have.

Gotta start-up again, eh, J2Gael? There is no "max exodus" at SHC. Spare me that "culture" line too.

Good one IC, good memory, Gael and FUBO were notorious and were constant in their diatribe I hope FUBO is in a much better place and maybe the meds appear to be working?...This is how "Rear-end"came about.....You think the Rabbits always played with those 3 P's....Pride Performance and Purpose?... or more like Pity, Poop and Perfunctory:) In the last decade, SHC is 7-3 against Riordan Football. (all in good fun...lol, SHC has our share of bad years too)

Getting a lot of feedback from the SF schools [mostly ARHS & SHC] while S.I. fans are nowhere to be found..

After losing two tough games against Campolindo and Marin Catholic teams led by guys who will be playing D1 next year, I suspect many of us are just waiting for league play to start. Friday should be interesting.

[QUOTE="kshepp, post: 173434, member: 7439"]After losing two tough games against Campolindo and Marin Catholic teams led by guys who will be playing D1 next year, I suspect many of us are just waiting for league play to start. Friday should be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think the SHC-S.I. game has a lot of fans guessing. SHC has looked great against weaker competition and S.I. has looked less than great against stronger competition against Campo & MC. Certainly the 7-0 game against winless Clovis East is cause for concern for S.I. fans. Can SHC's success transition to a WCAL opponent is the big question..
This game sets the stage for the rest of the season for both these teams.

I noticed he's on the current roster. Looks like he re-joined the team.
Yes, just confirmed Matt Dean was cleared Friday to resume playing. His was a health issue (respecting his privacy). Also I keep butchering Levar Watkins first name. It is Levar not Trevar. Also heard that Herbert Boston was also cleared. Don't know if either Matt or Herbert will play this week though.

Scotty and Crew,

Each year the dream becomes alive with SHC thinks their FB "will rise". It seems they have an excuse of why it didn't. We all heard the whining after SHC was called out about a future MASS EXODUS. It seems it occurred.

This year a weak OCC schedule was on the books, so we are making excuses. I have mixed feeling about SHC beating SI. I have great respect for Riordan Grad at the helm on Elllis St ( aka Drive by Way), not only he is a great guy.,.he is a great coach and when he stepped away it was obvious his absence effected players and their need to leave.

I don't think you will beat SI, you can call me names, you can degrade players who left and put their private busdiness on the Messsge Board.

And I agree with your schools 3 P's, put it up as a marque like Riordan has theirs.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong?

Don't be fooled....the saying goes "We Are Riordan'

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDNA
The Riordan team two years was a passing comet. Fall 2015 was a fun year and reminiscent of the Crusader teams of early 70's. Unfortunately, this group is nowhere close to that team, as the current juniors and seniors classes have shown very little success on the field leading up to this year.

I have no doubt kids will play hard and represent their school well.

Lost in the usual back-and-forth between the WCAL's three San Francisco papal tribes is another more pressing football concern: On the 50th anniversary of the league's founding, the WCAL has not been able to find a solution to create better balance between the SF trio and the five southern schools. It's been a mismatch for too long. It's not healthy. The league would be better served if a truly competitive situation existed. We can only hope.

Lost in the usual back-and-forth between the WCAL's three San Francisco papal tribes is another more pressing football concern: On the 50th anniversary of the league's founding, the WCAL has not been able to find a solution to create better balance between the SF trio and the five southern schools. It's been a mismatch for too long. It's not healthy. The league would be better served if a truly competitive situation existed. We can only hope.
Socio-economics has made that impossible. S.I.'s penchant for affluent suburban stock has kept them in the mix, but I really believe the train has left the station in regards to football in The City. It's been a slow bleed for some time.

All three SF schools do draw from the suburbs, with SI leading the way. But you are correct when it comes to the indigenous SF population. Demographics have shifted away from the traditional football-playing populace. And there is the facilities issue at both Riordan and SHC, not to mention certain limited or non-existent sports offerings at both of those schools.

Reactions: CityVibesII
The battle Btwn the SF schools and the South Bay programs is an old tune. SI and Riordan never ran from that battle, the third city program took an hiatius. I am glad they are back, but they should have to have realistic expectation and their posters stop being the gorilla with Tarzan and pound on their chest when the fruit loop bird lands on Drive by Way.

I don't know if their is a solution Colehenry, but could coach you fellow Irush zealots to bring a cushion for their season cause it's going to be long and lonely.

I give SI and Riordan credit cause they face the grind of the grid iron with no fluff. Riordan new consistent regime and SI willingness to bring in players.

Can any tell me why SHC posters (not all Colehenry) go dark on players and other posters when someone on the Board calls them out on Fake News

The battle Btwn the SF schools and the South Bay programs is an old tune. SI and Riordan never ran from that battle, the third city program took an hiatius. I am glad they are back, but they should have to have realistic expectation and their posters stop being the gorilla with Tarzan and pound on their chest when the fruit loop bird lands on Drive by Way.

I don't know if their is a solution Colehenry, but could coach you fellow Irush zealots to bring a cushion for their season cause it's going to be long and lonely.

I give SI and Riordan credit cause they face the grind of the grid iron with no fluff. Riordan new consistent regime and SI willingness to bring in players.

Can any tell me why SHC posters (not all Colehenry) go dark on players and other posters when someone on the Board calls them out on Fake News

Wow. Look in the mirror dude. What fake news? Realistic expectations? Going Dark? Who is predicting Riordan over Serra? Predicting SHC over Riordan unrealistic? Looks like we have FUBO reincarnated. Go Irish!

Read the post and stop making up your own reality TV, that prediction was made from the heart and stated so.

Yes, I want Riordan over Serra. Do I claim that...no. But i know who I will be cheering for...

Just beat SI and prove your low numbers and weak schedule is real news and not Fake News...btw. The comb over ain't working.

You can call me anything you want, truth is the truth. As a great poster already stated and I iterated "Beat SI" and have something real to pound your chest about.

Btw...I also admit when I post something I inaquatelatelty. It was a not a gorilla that was Tarzan's friend. It was a chimpanzee...named " Cheeta". Can I start responding to your post to that name...you seem to pulling fesus out of your back side similarly.

Too easy

Riordan has a new coach also correct? Did their old coach leave for greener pastures or wanted to avoid another long campaign?

Reactions: Scott2138
No the Riordan staff has added a former NFL player to its roster...great call to a true AD.

Additionally promoted an African American coach to HC. First in history...we call him," Dungy" affectionately. I know he attracted athletic players to the Colts. Or Maybe we should call him, " Bluford" who whipped SHC tail consistency in the Bruce...either way, it seems like a double down.

Can SHC compare with all varsity coaches being former D1 players or a former NFL player.

May I suggest, one does not ask a question that stacks up to make SHC inadequate...once again?

C'Mon Man!!!

Last edited:
No the Riordan staff has added a former NFL player to its roster...great call to a true AD.

Additionally promoted an African American coach to HC. First in history...we call him," Dungy or Bluford" who whipped SHC tail consistency.

Can SHC compare with all coaches being former D1 players and former NFL.

May I suggest, one does ask a question that stacks up to make SHC inadequate...once again?

C'Mon Man!!!

WHAT????....... I believe I successfully deciphered your post.

Doesn't the current SHC head coach have a D1 pedigree?

And I was asking a legitimate question, I wasn't bad mouthing the new coach on Phelan. I heard the former DLS player who did a fine job for the Crusaders left and was wondering why.

A Riordan homer using the word inadequate to define SHC is kind of comical. I will use another quote as I did on a separate post: This time I will quote Shakespeare:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool". I imagine you consider yourself wise ;)

WHAT????....... I believe I successfully deciphered your post.

Doesn't the current SHC head coach have a D1 pedigree?

And I was asking a legitimate question, I wasn't bad mouthing the new coach on Phelan. I heard the former DLS player who did a fine job for the Crusaders left and was wondering why.

A Riordan homer using the word inadequate to define SHC is kind of comical. I will use another quote as I did on a separate post: This time I will quote Shakespeare:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool". I imagine you consider yourself wise ;)

From what I heard the coach Fordon was starting a new family and moving to the East Bay. Couldn't make a commitment to coaching anymore. Going 2-8 last year and knowing Riordan would be light in the talent department again this season probably made that decision easier for him.

The former HC is still a History Teacher at Riordan. I am sorry my simple minded post complicate your sense of reality...

Mr. Direct I think added a back ground story.

Your absolutely right, the Riordan Grad coaching at SHC was a D1 player. And correct me if I am wrong,..isn't that the long Former D1.

I am glad Shakespeare was so knowledgeable about the grid iron. May you should go back a read Shakespear and stop trying to gov interpretation of FB...but know I understand your lack of knowledge.

C'Mon Man

It was Shakespeare, I believe, who uttered the immortal phrase: "Just win, Boswell." History tells us that both were Bellarmine alums who labored in prune orchards during the summer. Both were very big on football and fiber.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
It was Shakespeare, I believe, who uttered the immortal phrase: "Just win, Boswell." History tells us that both were Bellarmine alums who labored in prune orchards during the summer. Both were very big on football and fiber.
I will be heading to "the Bruce" with my nephew. Should be a fun atmosphere. My sister doesn't want him playing football but he likes the game and after observing the scene on Friday night I'm sure he'll love it. I think SHC get the Cats in this one.

Why is it that every year the 2 programs projected to be at the bottom of the WCAL are historically crying the loudest?

Quiet at the kiddie table and enjoy the games. League hasnt even started.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHgradSIdad
The former HC is still a History Teacher at Riordan. I am sorry my simple minded post complicate your sense of reality...

Mr. Direct I think added a back ground story.

Your absolutely right, the Riordan Grad coaching at SHC was a D1 player. And correct me if I am wrong,..isn't that the long Former D1.

I am glad Shakespeare was so knowledgeable about the grid iron. May you should go back a read Shakespear and stop trying to gov interpretation of FB...but know I understand your lack of knowledge.

C'Mon Man

Maybe you should go back to 2nd grade my man and brush up on basic grammar, but I too now understand your lack of knowledge, so we're even!

Gotta love the Colonel!!!

Is it great how the biggest nerds, point out grammar mistakes and then want to argue FB.

Let just get back to "beating SI". I will be at Kezar on Friday. Their is nothing like a Wildcat win at Kezar:)

Reactions: CityBaseballFan

Very good colhenry once again - best post of the day regarding the SF Super Bowl of SHC "Irish" vs S.I "Wildcats"..

Reactions: SFcityfan
Why is it that every year the 2 programs projected to be at the bottom of the WCAL are historically crying the loudest?

Quiet at the kiddie table and enjoy the games. League hasnt even started.
Maybe people at the other schools don't know about Norcal Preps... If rankings are what makes people "cry the loudest", why don't we hear from 13,373rd-ranked Washington fans?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any of the WCAL games and/or significant Bay Area matchups will be streamed this weekend?
So far, I see the following

Bruce-Mahoney game (SI vs SHC) Fri night Kezar Stadium @ 7pm on the Cube:

https://thecube.com/event/sacred-heart-cathedral-preparatory-vs-st-ignatius--742057

Serra vs. Riordan (from CCSF) Sat at 1pm on the Cube:
https://thecube.com/event/football-archbishop-riordan-vs-junipero-serra-748283

Bellarmine vs. Mitty Fri SJCC @ 7pm
https://thecube.com/event/bellarmine-college-preparatory-vs-archbishop-mitty-748713

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any of the WCAL games and/or significant Bay Area matchups will be streamed this weekend?
So far, I see the following
Bruce-Mahoney game (SI vs SHC) Fri night Kezar Stadium @ 7pm on the Cube:
https://thecube.com/event/sacred-heart-cathedral-preparatory-vs-st-ignatius--742057

Serra vs. Riordan (from CCSF) Sat at 1pm on the Cube:
https://thecube.com/event/football-archbishop-riordan-vs-junipero-serra-748283

Here you go jordan & NorCalSPortsFan is always good about updates for live-stream games late in the week. Not much WCAL coverage this week & hoping someone picks up VC-SF game.

Aptos vs Palma Thursday 7:30 BAOSN.TV

On NFHSnetwork.com:

Freedom vs Bishop O'Dowd
Friday 7:00 PM

Central Catholic vs Manteca Friday 7:00 PM

Milpitas vs Saratoga Friday 7:00 PM

St. Mary's vs Mater Dei Saturday 7:00 PM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT