Sep 25, 2009
Friday night:

Valley Christian, 1-0, at Bellarmine, 0-1. VC heavy favorite
Riordan, 1-0, at St. Ignatius, 1-0. Riordan slight favorite
St. Francis, 1-0, at Mitty, 0-1. SF heavy favorite

Saturday afternoon:

SHC, 0-1, at Serra, 0-1. Serra heavy favorite

Three teams that best took advantage of the bye week:
  • St. Ignatius - great gameplan! Defense kept the 'Cats in it throughout. SI offense led by Hummel was uber efficient. Be scared, very scared of the 4th quarter Cardiac 'Cats!
  • Valley Christian - Warriors pull off 2nd stunner of Week 1 in steamrolling the upstart Mitty Monarchs. VC gets healthy and starts a promising QB. Could Mitty's record been a factor of its non-league SOS?
  • Riordan - gets healthy and went back to the lab to shore up its defense. The Irish saw first hand the firepower of a fully loaded Crusader offense. The Crusader starting offense was 9 for 9 for TD scores on its first 9 possessions before being pulled. For the defense 9/10 turnover on downs in the first half was pretty good. Game went to running clock in the third quarter allowing the 3rd stringers playing time and allowed the last 2 Irish scores. Lots of "extra-curricular" activity after the whistle hurt the Irish all day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Three teams that best took advantage of the bye week:
  • St. Ignatius - great gameplan! Defense kept the 'Cats in it throughout. SI offense led by Hummel was uber efficient. Be scared, very scared of the 4th quarter Cardiac 'Cats!
  • Valley Christian - Warriors pull off 2nd stunner of Week 1 in steamrolling the upstart Mitty Monarchs. VC gets healthy and starts a promising QB. Could Mitty's record been a factor of its non-league SOS?
  • Riordan - gets healthy and went back to the lab to shore up its defense. The Irish saw first hand the firepower of a fully loaded Crusader offense. The Crusader starting offense was 9 for 9 for TD scores on its first 9 possessions before being pulled. For the defense 9/10 turnover on downs in the first half was pretty good. Game went to running clock in the third quarter allowing the 3rd stringers playing time and allowed the last 2 Irish scores. Lots of "extra-curricular" activity after the whistle hurt the Irish all day.
Mitty's deceiving record created a hype that wasn't warranted. VC brought them back to reality.

Reactions: THEOC89
Friday night:

Valley Christian, 1-0, at Bellarmine, 0-1. VC heavy favorite
Riordan, 1-0, at St. Ignatius, 1-0. Riordan slight favorite
St. Francis, 1-0, at Mitty, 0-1. SF heavy favorite

Saturday afternoon:

SHC, 0-1, at Serra, 0-1. Serra heavy favorite
Agree with @colhenrylives. My top WCAL teams going into next week:
  1. St. Francis
  2. Riordan
  3. St. Ignatius
  4. Serra
  5. Valley Christian
  6. Mitty
  7. SHC
  8. Bellarmine

Game of the Week: Riordan @ SI
This game will provide a glimpse of the possible outcome of the WCAL title race as there is still plenty of football to be played. As mentioned, an impressive win by the Wildcats in upending Serra with a marvelous 4th quarter comeback. This Padres team is young and certainly not at the level they have been at the past 3 seasons having their once in a generation class now gone to graduation.
SI's highly touted DT transfer makes his debut. It should be noted that Riordan's OL Peter Langi was not yet eligible when both squads met last season. So this makes an intriguing matchup of O and D lines. It's good to see the injured Riordan players back. Chris Lawson reminded everyone why he is one of the top WRs and DB in the State. The other returning starters provided the Crusaders much needed depth. Btw - Nice debut by Riordan soph RB, Adonyae Brown, splitting the workload with Jeremiah Jones. The Riordan defense is comprised of a freshman several sophomores and juniors (a few returning from injuries as well) and yesterday's game was a positive step.
It's always good for City rivals playing for pole position in a league race instead of just its annual Haskell Trophy. Should be a packed and raucous house in the Sunset Friday night!

Agree with @colhenrylives. My top WCAL teams going into next week:
  1. St. Francis
  2. Riordan
  3. St. Ignatius
  4. Serra
  5. Valley Christian
  6. Mitty
  7. SHC
  8. Bellarmine

Game of the Week: Riordan @ SI
This game will provide a glimpse of the possible outcome of the WCAL title race as there is still plenty of football to be played. As mentioned, an impressive win by the Wildcats in upending Serra with a marvelous 4th quarter comeback. This Padres team is young and certainly not at the level they have been at the past 3 seasons having their once in a generation class now gone to graduation.
SI's highly touted DT transfer makes his debut. It should be noted that Riordan's OL Peter Langi was not yet eligible when both squads met last season. So this makes an intriguing matchup of O and D lines. It's good to see the injured Riordan players back. Chris Lawson reminded everyone why he is one of the top WRs and DB in the State. The other returning starters provided the Crusaders much needed depth. Btw - Nice debut by Riordan soph RB, Adonyae Brown, splitting the workload with Jeremiah Jones. The Riordan defense is comprised of a freshman several sophomores and juniors (a few returning from injuries as well) and yesterday's game was a positive step.
It's always good for City rivals playing for pole position in a league race instead of just its annual Haskell Trophy. Should be a packed and raucous house in the Sunset Friday night!
Would it be fair to speculate that SI will need at least 30 points to hang with Riordan Friday? Maybe 35?

Would it be fair to speculate that SI will need at least 30 points to hang with Riordan Friday? Maybe 35?
That is very interesting, so the hype about the transfer DT is not the key. But the efficiency or activity of the offense will be the key?

Doesn’t that counter point the SI fan board posters?

Riordan can score almost at will. If SI can limit them to, say, 30 or so, they will have a chance. Maybe. Regardless of a new DL for SI. To be blunt, the real key is the Riordan defense. If they can limit SI to, say, 24, it's a W for the visitors. To beat Riordan, you have to be able to score. A lot. A whole lot.

Reactions: THEOC89 and cityfan
Riordan can score almost at will. If SI can limit them to, say, 30 or so, they will have a chance. Maybe. Regardless of a new DL for SI. To be blunt, the real key is the Riordan defense. If they can limit SI to, say, 24, it's a W for the visitors. To beat Riordan, you have to be able to score. A lot. A whole lot.
I would never equate my HS prep FB knowledge base to yours,but being pragmatic,… I concur.

Thank you🙏🏈🙌

# Should I say it?

Last edited:
I think its going to come down to who wins the battle in the trenches between Riordan's Oline vs SI's Dline.
Mitchell won't have time to throw if he's busy running away from SI's defense which has held its opponents to an average of 17pts a game irregardless of their high flying offenses.

SI's debuting DT has yet to play a game this season so it'll be interesting to see how quick he can get up to speed.

I think its going to come down to who wins the battle in the trenches between Riordan's Oline vs SI's Dline.
Mitchell won't have time to throw if he's busy running away from SI's defense which has held its opponents to an average of 17pts a game irregardless of their high flying offenses.

SI's debuting DT has yet to play a game this season so it'll be interesting to see how quick he can get up to speed.
Riordan’s run game can grind it out with the best of them. The OLine has seen it all against big tough fast and athletic defenses in non league. That’s what makes Mitchell and the pass game even more dangerous. Teams can’t just tee off on him and you need to account for 4 receivers that can take it to the house on any given play.
Gonna be a chess match for sure with Vandermade and Ravipati.

Reactions: Niklas227
Riordan’s run game can grind it out with the best of them. The OLine has seen it all against big tough fast and athletic defenses in non league. That’s what makes Mitchell and the pass game even more dangerous. Teams can’t just tee off on him and you need to account for 4 receivers that can take it to the house on any given play.
I would not want to bet the over/under for this game...lol

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
I think everyone who knows my post, knows #what I want to say?

But may be we should label this match up, since we already have one title match up for league #WCAL-Toilet Bowl Game btwn: SHC vs. Bells

I recommend “#WCAL-The Game of City”, paraphrasing “The Game of the Century”: Bobby Fischer vs. Donald Byrne: 1956; @Rosenwald Memorial Tournament.

For limited reading comprehension posters (pls Google, No names mentioned) 🤫🤣🤫🤣

Sorry, The Colonel is still limited to the trials and tribulations of Dick and Jane. And, by the way, neither could cover Lawson one-on-one.

Sorry, The Colonel is still limited to the trials and tribulations of Dick and Jane. And, by the way, neither could cover Lawson one-on-one.
@colhenrylives, nothing wrong with the challenges of Dick & Jane.

I would suggest comprehensive understanding of narratives are higher than the SHC brian trust on this board. Besides the HS Prep knowledge of Prep FB, is what is pertinent to this venue.

I hope you will make a TikTok appearance at the #WCAL-Game of the City

PS,… would like to hear your visual of events

Your Colonel has been banned by TikTok. Something about very poor dancing skills that mimic an elderly emu in its avian death throes.

San Diego Cathedral Catholic has scored 56,34,27 and 28 points in their 4 wins. SI held them to 14. Anything is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT