ADVERTISEMENT

What's the argument again?

personalogic

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2003
Revisiting the issue of whether they should shrink the field a bit in section and Norcal playoffs.

In North Coast Section we started as usual with 16 teams in each division. The final four in each division:

1 = 1, 2, 3, 4 seeds

2 = 1, 2, 3, 13 seeds

3 = 1, 2, 3, 4 seeds

4 = 1, 2, 3, 4 seeds

5 = 1, 2, 3 , 5 seeds

Kudos to Novato for making it to the D2 final 4, but they did get blown out by 50 in the semi-final.

8 teams per division in section, and 2 teams per division for Norcal would be plenty.

I think expanding does a couple of things.

1) I think it helps with the equity component of high school sports, or how it has been.
2) NCS is all about revenue. More teams means more money at the gate. 10 bucks a ticket fora family of 4? Thats a lot of money. Don't think NCS is doing it just for the kids.

Just curious.....

what was the breakdown of public to private in the final 4's?

I believe if it was dropped down to 8...say goodbye to most of the public schools getting any representation in the sections....except in D2 where everybody but CLET is public.

In D4 especially....

Originally posted by ballersdreams:

northbay

YOU ARE FORGETTING ABOUT MODESTO CHRISTIAN THIS YEAR IS IN D2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MC may be D2, but they are not in the NCS.

Final 4's NCS:

D1 = all public
D2 = 3 public
D3 = 2 public
D4 = 1 public
D5 = 0 public

Pretty good public school representation actually. And you're not going to find them in the smaller school divisions anyway. Even at 16 teams, D5 was 100% private.

Easy response to both issues. Do a second tier tournament just at the section level which would run parallel to the first tier tournament. A high school "NIT" if you will. Same number of teams and games, same revenue, less time. Also, the second tier teams would get more competitive games and a genuine chance to win something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT