ADVERTISEMENT

Windward vs Sierra Canyon tonight.......

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
We get to see just where undefeated sierra Canyon should be ranked after this game. This is their first legit test IMO.

530PM Yes.....baby....this should be good one... the winner gets the number one seed in the SS Open...assuming next Tuesday when WW goes to Clovis West and handles business and next Saturday when SC goes to Redondo Union and takes care of them....
$10 watch...
https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/cifss/game587f22989

Not sure how the games will turn out, but time will tell once they're played. If you are able to post a few updates on tonight's Windward vs Sierra Canyon. Not sure we can pencil in SC over Redondo Union. We'll see how tonight goes to get a better idea about SC this season.

Crowd is standing for this one
Dw_x2vVU0AAjcUq.jpg

End Q1 SC 19 WW 14
SC DeJesus 11 in Q1
Middle of Second SC 28 WW 20
SC DeJesus Pinewood hot 20 pts... 5 threes
COz onfloor cracked heads with another player...she might have DeJesus flu;)
Half SC 35 WW 23
Corona and COz back after passing concussion protocols
End of 3 SC 50 WW 38
SC Chevalier 17
Might be time to redo the rankings.....
SC taking WW to the woodshed in WW's house
Middle of 4th
SC 61 WW 45
SC Dejesus 32 Seven threes....Curry like
Final SC 66 WW 57 in WW's gym....SC is for real

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
End Q1 SC 19 WW 14
SC DeJesus 11 in Q1
Middle of Second SC 28 WW 20
SC DeJesus Pinewood hot 20 pts... 5 threes
COz onfloor cracked heads with another player...she might have DeJesus flu;)
Half SC 35 WW 23
Corona and COz back after passing concussion protocols
End of 3 SC 50 WW 38
SC Chevalier 17
Might be time to redo the rankings.....
SC taking WW to the woodshed in WW's house
Middle of 4th
SC 61 WW 45
SC Dejesus 32 Seven threes....Curry like
Final SC 66 WW 57 in WW's gym....SC is for real

Too bad they didn't attend the Nike TOC to get even more challenged and better evaluated. But beating Windward in a local one on one is still not easy. So being undefeated Sierra Canyon will have to move up on most if not all charts. Congratulations to S.C.

Now it looks like Sierra Canyon is the new top team in California? Even though they took the easy route to get there IMO. I have to wait till after the 1/21/19 and 1/26/19 games are played before updating my poll. Because there are many things to consider to get the poll most accurate.

Last edited:
Sierra Canyon played a decent tournament in Las Vegas and traveled to Oregon where it thought it would play Southridge, but for no apparent reason, the two best teams were put in different brackets.

It's not as if they didn't test themselves out of state ...

Too bad they aren't coming to Stockton this year for MLK games. Last year I saw them play and DeJesus and Chevalier are the real deal. They are both only juniors too. Very impressive win over Winward. They have not had many close games this year, pretty much dominated. This was their only game under double digits all year.

Sierra Canyon has a league game Friday, and then Chaminade Saturday and Long Beach Poly Monday.

Too bad they aren't coming to Stockton this year for MLK games. Last year I saw them play and DeJesus and Chevalier are the real deal. They are both only juniors too. Very impressive win over Winward. They have not had many close games this year, pretty much dominated. This was their only game under double digits all year.

Yeah you typically don't get many tough games when you only have 3 the whole year and can space them out enough to be rested and prepared to play them. Especially when the tough teams you play may be coming off 2 or 3 back to back tough games and no rest in between them. I like Sierra Canyon, as a couple 2 or 3 seasons ago they were just stacked with high flying athletic players. This season there only 5 test on their schedule and really only 2 or 3. Those games being Alemany, Fairmont Prep, Long Beach Poly ( who's on a down year) Windward, and Redondo Union. I didn't see any real tough tournaments on their SOS. The matchup with Redondo Union 1/26/19 is the toughest they have left. The Long Beach Poly is 1/21/19. And of course they will get tested during the Open state championship run. I haven't personally seen them play in a couple of years.... perhaps they are once again the real deal? Too bad there is not an end of the season national Nike tournament for the top 16 in the country to battle it out to get a true national champion.

I'm sure DeJesus, Chevalier, and a few others are probably very good players. Congratulations to them on their win over a battle tested Windward team. I sure wish Sierra Canyon would have made it to the Nike TOC to be better challenged and better evaluated. I'll be anticipating a challenge from LBP, and primarily @ Redondo Union.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
I think you might want to take a closer look at that schedule ... Valor Christian is a very strong team from Colorado, Kentridge is one of the top teams in Washington and even teams like El Camino Real, that we don't know much about up here, are very strong.

There's a reason the strength of schedule is so high, and it's not because the schedule has a few highlights and lots of easy wins, but rather that Sierra Canyon has played a good team pretty much every week all year, and often two or three good teams.

There's something to be said for night-in and night-out consistency against quality opposition as opposed to peaking for a few games.

I think you might want to take a closer look at that schedule ... Valor Christian is a very strong team from Colorado, Kentridge is one of the top teams in Washington and even teams like El Camino Real, that we don't know much about up here, are very strong.

There's a reason the strength of schedule is so high, and it's not because the schedule has a few highlights and lots of easy wins, but rather that Sierra Canyon has played a good team pretty much every week all year, and often two or three good teams.

There's something to be said for night-in and night-out consistency against quality opposition as opposed to peaking for a few games.

Hey as I said I haven't seen them play in a couple of years. Last time I saw them they had ridiculous athletes. Still would have loved to see them at the TOC to see how they handle four real tough ones on the road back to back. But congratulations to them on the victory over Windward. The only real challenge until the Open they have left is Redondo Union.

After Osborne went out with 4:20 left in 2nd quarter after a bad collision with her own teammate fighting for loose ball (they hit heads and were both down for several minutes), Windward was not the same team without her at all. 3 straight turnovers by backup point guard, yikes. Sierra Canyon is definitely the more complete team. But with Osborne in the game, she makes everything happen for them. She came back in 2nd half after passing concussion protocol and they were down 15, but they couldn't muster any type of sustained run. I'm sure Windward would like a rematch against them in Sections. Sierra Canyon is having amazing season this year! I would not be surprised to see them go undefeated in the rest of their games. BUT playoffs could be another matter. Will be tough competition with Mater Dei, Etiwanda, Bishop Montgomery and of course Windward. None of these schools will be intimidated and could be great games.

After Osborne went out with 4:20 left in 2nd quarter after a bad collision with her own teammate fighting for loose ball (they hit heads and were both down for several minutes), Windward was not the same team without her at all. 3 straight turnovers by backup point guard, yikes. Sierra Canyon is definitely the more complete team. But with Osborne in the game, she makes everything happen for them. She came back in 2nd half after passing concussion protocol and they were down 15, but they couldn't muster any type of sustained run. I'm sure Windward would like a rematch against them in Sections. Sierra Canyon is having amazing season this year! I would not be surprised to see them go undefeated in the rest of their games. BUT playoffs could be another matter. Will be tough competition with Mater Dei, Etiwanda, Bishop Montgomery and of course Windward. None of these schools will be intimidated and could be great games.

basketball,

It's always a bummer when foul trouble or injuries prevents the best players/ best teams from determining the outcomes. Not to say Sierra Canyon definitely isn't better than Windward. Or that S.C. didn't beat Windward @ Windward without anyone making excuses. Because S.C. appears to be a very good team who won the game. After I watched Windward blew about a 15 point lead and loss the Nike TOC to MCD. I knew at that exact moment there was some questionable leadership either coming from the sidelines or a lack of on the court leadership. Or most likely a bit of both. The games that followed the Nike TOC just kind of confirms that is an area that Windward must shore up if they want to have the best shot at an Open Division championship. Excuses are for message boards. Teams ( which include all coaches and all players) must step up regardless to any circumstance within reason.

Paytc, I think you are seeing the hints I threw in there about Windward. Charisma Osborne is a special special player that only comes around once in a long while. In my opinion, her getting hurt and missing the last 4:20 of the 2nd quarter definitely played an outcome in this game. Even though she came back in 2nd half, the damage was done. Another hint I was getting at is that Windward needs to start developing the rest of their players. Charisma is a senior this year, I didn't see any other players ready to step up after she went down. She is good enough to win most of their games this year almost on her own (she is that good), but obviously needs some help from her teammates. Basically she facilitates everything out there from creating her own shot to setting up shots for her teammates. I would like to see a more balanced team, they will need it in the playoffs. I wasn't questioning the leadership at all, just the balance of their team.

Paytc, I think you are seeing the hints I threw in there about Windward. Charisma Osborne is a special special player that only comes around once in a long while. In my opinion, her getting hurt and missing the last 4:20 of the 2nd quarter definitely played an outcome in this game. Even though she came back in 2nd half, the damage was done. Another hint I was getting at is that Windward needs to start developing the rest of their players. Charisma is a senior this year, I didn't see any other players ready to step up after she went down. She is good enough to win most of their games this year almost on her own (she is that good), but obviously needs some help from her teammates. Basically she facilitates everything out there from creating her own shot to setting up shots for her teammates. I would like to see a more balanced team, they will need it in the playoffs. I wasn't questioning the leadership at all, just the balance of their team.

But leadership either on the floor, on the sidelines, or both can help teams close out games they dominate until the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. There are certain floor leaders in the game at all levels that are determined to not let their team lose. The young lady from MCD first name Maria ( I don't recall the last name off hand Alverez maybe?) certainly wasn't going to let MCD lose any of the 3 out of 4 games they stole at the Nike TOC in the last couple of minutes. That is the type of attack and leadership I'm stressing. Sometimes balance scoring isn't gonna take over a game and a floor leader or stud must.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT