ADVERTISEMENT

Ygnacio Valley Cancels NCS Game @ Arcata

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
I just heard this and not sure if it's true. Are there any penalties for teams that choose NOT to participate because of travel? I would assume that when submitting forms for playoffs, they would know what happens if they participate in the playoffs and the possibility of travel. I remember this happened in Norcals a few years ago on the boys side. A team didn't want to travel to a Northern Section team so cancelled. I'm not sure what the consequences were or are if this happens. Anyone know?

YV was 12-14 overall and 2-10 in a bad league. They really have no business even being in the playoffs. I assume they had a .500 record against the other D4 teams they played. They obviously knew they’d be a quick out in the playoffs, but probably hoped they’d get a local matchup rather than a 600 mile RT drive.

pinole valley has to travel to eureka.
for YV that is a long trip and probably would have to spend the night. money and time

This type of forfeit due to distance has happened in past seasons, I think a few times. I don’t think there has been any sort of penalty or sanction for any of those past instances.

The Ygnacio Valley Women's Basketball team faced a series of challenges that ultimately led to sanctions from the North Coast Section. Here’s an explanation of the situation:.
  1. Past Success in Playoffs: The team had a history of strong performances in the North Coast Section Playoffs, which added pressure to maintain their competitive edge.
  2. Low Participation Numbers: Despite low participation numbers in recent seasons, the team continued to compete, showcasing their dedication and love for the sport.
  3. Player Availability Issues: With only 6-7 players available throughout the season, the team faced a constant struggle to field a full roster.
  4. Family Concerns and Safety: The unavailability of the sixth player due to family safety concerns highlighted the importance of prioritizing player well-being, even if it meant facing challenges with limited numbers.
  5. Recruitment Efforts: The team made efforts to recruit additional players to fill the gaps but faced resistance from the Athletic Director and Administration due to safety concerns.
  6. Injury to Key Player: The night before the crucial game against Arcata, the team suffered a significant setback when their starting point guard and leading scorer,Starks, cracked her tibia during practice.
  7. Sanctions Imposed: Despite the circumstances beyond their control, the North Coast Section imposed sanctions, taking away eight games from the next season.

Ultimately, while the sanctions were harsh, Ygnacio Valley Basketball will instill resilience, sportsmanship, and determination in our team, using the experience as a learning opportunity to overcome challenges and continue competing at our best.

Rae Jackson Sr.
Head Coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT