ADVERTISEMENT

2016 commits

TwitterLegend

Sports Fanatic
Apr 17, 2015
How many D1 kids in 2016? Seems like a really deep class in Norcal, thought I'd start a thread and fill in the blanks as the prospects become commits, let me know who I forgot (but please be real if they are a D1 player or not).

Ben Kone: Oregon State
Solomon Young: Iowa State
Terrell Brown: San Jose State
Sayeed Pridgett: Montana
Jordan Ford: St. Mary's
Christian Terrell: UCSB
Georgie Dancer: Sacramento State
Jordan Ratinho: USF
Kenny Wooten: Nevada
Peter Hewitt: UC-Davis
Jake Killingsworth: Columbia
Oscar Frayer: Grand Canyon
Christian Ellis: Southern Illinois-Edwardsville
Nikhil Peters:
Robinson Idehen:

*Carlos Johnson: UNLV
*Dontay Bassett: Florida
*Vance Jackson: UConn
*Devon Daniels: Utah
*Josh Jackson: Kansas

Last edited:
Was not impressed with Kenny Wooten after this past weekend. Great athlete, with zero skills, he looked like and All American in warm ups tho.

Yeah totally agree on Wooten. Dude could win a national high school dunk contest I think but was invisible in the actual game. But still he reportedly has some pretty good D1 offers so I imagine someone is ready to take a chance on all that athleticism.

Matt Manning? Just wait till you see him this year. Has verbaled to LMU for baseball.

Manning can play low D1 in hoops but why would he? Has a chance to play MLB.
I've never seen a kid peak faster than Christian Ellis at MC. He was the same size and player as an 8th grader. Does he have D1 offers? I would be surprised.

Does anyone really think Jackson is going to college? He Probably already has a shoe company ready to pay him multi millions. Some overseas team will easily offer him at least 2 million to play one year. Seen him play several times, he will be top 2 pick in draft in 2 years.

passfirst- Agree with you. Jackson is as an elite of an athlete as I've ever seen. He's up there with Andrew WIggens. I just don't see college happening either unless its UK but he would be leaving a million on the table. Oops…. Did I imply those guys get paid?

Arm Chair quarterbacks! got to love them. The stories you don't hear is hard JJ worked in the classroom this past year. Coming from a Detroit city school where education isn't the highest quality, to an elite level private school education was no easy task. Josh spent hours and hours a week with tutors (missing many practices) to become a B-Level student. Josh even received the highest Chemistry grade final of every student in the Junior class. Josh is currently NCAA approved for his senior year and will be attending college. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have busted his tail so hard to make it this past year in the classroom. Those are the stories you won't hear on message boards but this kids story should be spread positively, rather than people making assumptions that he is in it for money, getting paid, and going overseas. Totally untrue!

Nobody is saying JJ is an idiot. Glad to hear his academic successes. I'm talking simply about the economics of college basketball today. How much you want to bet he's one and one if he does attend college? I can't blame any of these kids today for taking this route. But lets not sugarcoat it ok. I'm not somebody who doesn't understand the system. Maybe a better question by pass first was why would a player like JJ go to college today?

Great pick up by Travis! Recruiting the Bay and Sac will pretty much make sure they are in the hunt year in and year out.

Travis is definitely one of the good guys of college basketball... love to see him using his Bay Area ties in Montana

Prolific Prep, why would you call me a arm chair quarterback?? I didnt say anything about his grades. I stated the obvious that he is one of the best players in the country and half the world will be offering him a few millions to skip college. i'm sure he is very smart, so smart that he is not going to leave millions on the table to go to college for one year. Even the NBA scouts say he is one of the best if not the best prospects in the country.

Exactly passfirst. I said the same thing. Look at what Emmanual Mudiay did. Seemed to work out OK.

Seriously, what is the point of going to school for ONE year anymore? Eff school if thats the case. Waste of time/resources/effort to knowingly attend school for ONE year. I would take the 12 most easiest units possible and barely attend class if thats me. What are you really learning?

Reactions: StillABear1
Dgdollaz- That is exactly what these kids are doing. Then when the season's over the agent is brought on and school is an afterthought. Exactly what I was saying.

NCAA Data:

"Since 2006, when the NBA made high school players ineligible for the NBA Draft, there has been continuous discontent expressed about college basketball’s “one-and-done” problem. However, only 8 college frosh have been drafted on average each year since 2007 (11 was the maximum in 2008). Nearly two-thirds of the one-and-done NBA draftees since 2010 were early departures from just six schools—Kentucky (13), Kansas (4), Duke (3), Texas (3), Arizona (2) and UCLA (2).

By the way, 30 of the 32 one-and-done NBA draftees over the past four years fully completed their spring-term academic commitments. The cumulative college grades of the 32? Their average GPA was 2.88."

My 2016 list for D1 players who have yet to commit:

Nikil Peters 6'4: Saw him in Anaheim playing for the Soldiers Blue against a team from Seattle, and the kid hit at least 6-7 treys, and why he wasn't on the Elite Soldier team is unbelievable!! But yet they had guys on the team who could dunk in warm-ups..... Whoever is on the selection committee for the Soldiers please stop relying on hype and favorites, it's hurting your organization.

Kevin Warren 6'3: Long athletic and flat out scorer!! He's a steal at a bargain price.

Brandon McGee 6"3: Flat out player!! He also played for the Soldiers Blue, and why he wasn't on the Elite Team is unbelievable. Versatile guard who plays the 1 and 2, and has the size and length for the D-1 level.

Nikil Peters is going going to be a steal for somebody. Maybe its a WCC team that comes in late but wait until DLS makes a deep, deep, run this year. He will open up eyes.

Kevin Warren is the top scorer in norcal. Shoots at an extremely high percentage. KW vs. Any of these players is a must watch. Perfect example- Carlos Johnson vs Kevin Warren ~ El Cerrito vs St…:

I thought Christian played well this summer. Another NorCal product heading down the coast.

Added Dancer to the list above... sorry for the omission, honestly had never heard of him lol, but D1 is D1...

A couple Fresno-area guys committed over the weekend. Colin Slater to Tulane (STEAL!!!)... Donovan Mitchell to Wake Forrest...
Both played for "Northern" California in the California All-Star Classic at Las Positas a couple weeks back...

Really interested to see how/if Wooten develops.

Nevada has been aggressive on the recruiting front.

Added Dancer to the list above... sorry for the omission, honestly had never heard of him lol, but D1 is D1...

No worries, he's a pretty good player. 6-3, 180 point guard..... Can pass, drive, and shoot....

He played against Ford, Terrell, and Ellis this summer. Did fine against those guys.

Carlos Johnson (Oakland Soldiers/Findlay Prep/El Cerrito last year) just committed to UNLV... undersized but plays with heart...he can play there

That's a good look for Johnson, as UNLV runs a system that he can thrive in. In terms of Dancer I've never heard of him and looking at the caliber of competition he was playing against, I would have to agree he's borderline D-1.

Hustle player at 6"4 225. Great athlete. He will do just fine if he plays hard and listens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT